Driving Economically is very Boring

Podwin

Not sure I could ever "enjoy" 13mpg! Be cheaper to run a car fuelled on unicorn pee

lol, It was managing 17mpg on petrol, but my weekly commute of around 220 miles was costing 60quid. I had it converted to LPG and the economy has dropped to 13mpg!

It is quite bad, and may even sell it when the trade picks up in March - April. I fancy an estate rather than a 4x4, and may even come back to Skoda.

I Tank to Tank it and in my 2 tanks of derv (Fabia VRS) I've been getting 10 - 11 miles per litre

(44.54 - 48.99 Mpg). This is for the 20 mile commute to work and Town running et al. With the 10 miles per litre I had the aircon fully switched on as well.

Will be interesting to see when I take it on a long trip 50 + Mpg should be possible - would like 60 if I can do it.

Previous 12v 64bhp got 8 1/2 - 10 Miles Per litre (37.859 - 44.54) But the latter was driving like a slug with air con off on a long journey.

Previous octy 1.6 came in at 8 - 9 MPL approx 35.632 - (40.086 Mpg). Best was a previous Fabia Sdi which came in on a gentle run at 13.2 MPL (58.7928 Mpg). Worst was an Alfa 156 (only a 1.6) which came in once at 5.9 MPL (26.2786 Mpg) after one mad dash to the North East as an SOS - Didn't go to licence loosing speeds though.

not quite on thread, but in reply to "I fancy an estate rather than a 4x4, and may even come back to Skoda."

I had an Audi A3 1.8T sport (1999), which had done about 80k miles when I px'd it for the Octy Mk1 1.8T Elegance estate (2004).

The Audi had leather, which I really miss, and softer seats, which I really really miss, but the suspension was hard, and uncomfortable over bumps, making speedbumps really quite awkward.

The Skoda seems faster, but then it's done 70k less miles, and economy is the same as the Audi, which you'd expect since the engine is the same. The Skoda suspension is much softer and understeers way too easily, but I put that partly down to the crappy Dunlop tyres - I have always found them dire on greasy roads.

Build quality and plastics are not as good, and paint not as durable, but for the price, the space, and overall package, it's really very good.

One final thing: the Octy steering wheel is rubbish; thin and plasticky. I had a Fabia as a loaner and the wheel was much more chunky.

ANyway, back to the thread.. :)

Using as high a gear as possible but changing down when labouring

That is contradicted a bit by this theory.

"Optimum economy levels aren’t just about the engine and road speeds; throttle openings are important factors too.

You actually consume a lot more fuel, and you are much less environmentally friendly, if you are in a high gear (fourth or fifth) at a low road speed (30 mph or less). That’s because the throttle opening has to be wider to address the imbalance between the inappropriate gear and your speed. More fuel is admitted into the manifold and the engine, and the result is that you tend to increase your road speed.

But, if you select a more responsive gear (third) for the same road speed (30 mph or less) and you use a “light right foot”, the throttle opening will be narrower and less fuel consumed. "

Which do you reckon?

well I wish I was getting the economy that podwin managed with my car, I try not to let it drop below 1/4 of a tank anyway just in case, but the trip meter suggests I am doing in the region of 25 to 30 during my normal commute and various trips. Seeing as I have just got the boost gauge fitted and various people have been 'testing' it it has dropped a fair bit from that...

Got a trip down to cornwall this weekend so shall see what I can get out of it!

I get between about 35 and 38 mpg from my Octy vRS, with pretty normal driving. I would also be interseted to hear what people get after remaps.

You're doing much better than me - I was getting about 30mpg average before and after the remap, using 98RON unleaded.

My car should be with me next week if all goes well so I'll see how it does on the roads here!