clunk noise when applying brake in reverse

only just figured how this noise happens:

everytime i apply the brake when in reverse (and have some momentum) i hear a 'clunk' noise.

it only does this once, however, when i drive forward and apply the brake, then go back into reverse and apply the brake, it happens again.

its almost like braking while driving forward 'resets' the position of something, then when i brake in reverse, it moves it back and makes that 'clunk' noise.

its nothing in the boot of the car - the noise is 100% coming from the front of the car - it happens at slow speed (i've noticed it when parallel parking).

this sounding familiar to anyone?

• Like 1

Nice to see someone else with the same issue.

Had mine back at the dealer who checked it out and said there is a small degree of play in the brake pads when they sit in their calipers. When the brakes are applied when the car is rolling backwards the pads move in the caliper and generate a single 'clunk'.

I was told there was nothing to worry about and nothing to be done.

Edit: I should say that since 2002 I've bought 4 cars from new from my dealer, who was also Skoda retailer of the year 2013, and I wouldn't hesitate to take them at their word.

Edited by Rab-k
  • Like 1

I replaced the disc and pads recently, but double checked the pads before i installed them. They were a perfect match and I did this over a couple of months ago. I'll have a look at them to make sure nothing is looking unusual.

There's no chance it could be something else?

Entertwainer

the noise you describe is undoubtedly the pads moving within the calipers.

The pads spend 99.9% of their time in the same position, and when you reverse, they grip the disks and just move back naturally to the other extreme position. If the pads did not have some small amount of clearance - you would have great difficulty in getting them in position in the first place. 

Don't worry, this is quite normal.

• Like 1

i replaced with mintex pads and discs. the sound isnt getting worse, and it does make sense for them to have some play (and move forward/backward with different directional forces applied). i hapy with this and wont look into it any further...unless it gets worse..... :S

thanks for all the info :)

Happy Skoda owner again :P