A Octy Scout as a taxi?

The diesel has the 6 speed, the petrol 7 (I think), as the 7 has a much lower torque limit. In my experience, DSGs can be a little twitchy/jerky at very low speeds as they use clutches, rather than a smooth fluid coupling in a traditional automatic.

does the suspension soak up bumps, speed humps and potholes better than standard car?

does the 4x4 system need maintenance? and problems withe 4x4 system to be aware of?

saw this on an owners review, and i know that its a negative, but is there anything in it? ..................

I believe the Scout has the same multi-link suspension as seen on the vRS but it is also raised on softer springs. It certainly handles well and feels very smooth over the bumpy roads out my way. I am on winter tyres and its been warm (21 degrees last week) so they have been moving in corners, but I expect that.

As already stated, Haldex oil change at 40k.

As for problems with the 4x4 system, its a fairly simple idea with few mechanical parts compared to say the Subaru system. I spoke to a mate of mine who is incharge of the Coastguard fleet of vehicles as they have quite a few Yetis that are used on beaches and tracks. He said they had had no problems in the 3 years they have had them. That made me happy as i know they had had issues with their L200s.!

Quick update on the MPG...my 1.8 petrol has settled out at 38.1 mpg over a thousand miles of mixed driving. A thousand miles since Tuesday!! Not bad going.lol

I can comment on this, having had both. I bought a new tsi Scout manual (it was thirsty), collecting it from Kent in the worst blizzard for tears, just a few years ago. On standard tyres it was not good at all in snow. In fact the Golf I hired to get me there may have been better on its relatively skinny tyres, it went up some astonishing hills with deep snowdrifts.. I now have a 2wd Octavia 1.9 as my daily workhorse (and a Lexus LS 400 for long trips). I have fitted winter tyres to it and would go anywhere.in almost any weather. It is better than the scout is on standard tyres in the snow. Much is also to do with driving technique, and many people do not know how to drive in snow. 

Winter tyres are not just for snow, they perform better than summer tyres below a certain temp I think 7 or 9 degrees C. They are an expense but in a high mileage taxi, the overall wear will be about the same. I would not now opt for a 4wd, they are noisier, slower, thirstier, and there is more to go wrong. Just my opinion, based on experience. Many drivers in Scandinavia and Russia etc. drive 2wd vehicles, with winter tyres when appropriate, so that tells its own story.

I have just fitted my winter wheels, bit early perhaps, but at least I did not freeze my arse off doing it. I also have a feeling the mild autumn is going to catch us out at some point

Diesel Scouts are rare.

Petrol Scouts are almost impossible to source, at least good ones.

They use the 1.8 TSi engine, which in itself is a great engine, but there have been a very small increase in issues with slipping of the timing chain...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/

Power wise they pull the Scout around no problem. Your issue will be MPG in town traffic,

• Like 1

I guess they are cr stats, pd tax is higher but mpg seems about right.

thats not too bad then considering its all wheel drive, more than im getting now! lol

yes, CR stats, as this is the one i'd be getting if i go for a scout

Edited by bidderman1969