Fog lights as DRL

If the DRLs are not activated at all there Should be a setting in your maxidot display under lights and vision for enabling DRLs (by ticking the box). If the option doesn't exist there you can have this enabled via VCDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the single bulb units you cannot get the fogs activated as DRLs using Vagcom imho.

Regarding retrofitting extra lights, you can get the fogs with the DRL bulb position here;

http://www.skoda-parts.cz/predmet.aspx?polozkaID=268

They also have a "cable set for fog lights with day lights"

http://www.skoda-parts.cz/predmet.aspx?polozkaID=352

So I assume you could retrofit the DRL+fog units and use the cable set to hook it all up. Then, if your BCM supports them, you could activate them. More info on the coding HERE (so set byte 18 to 31)

That being said, I have not once read about someone retrofitting these...lots of people want to, but nobody has taken the plunge...I say go for it!  :clap:

I would contact Skoda-parts and ask them if the lights + cable set work, how to hook the wires up, if they provide a schematic or something. It's a reputable place, have bought from them before.

Good luck  :p

Early MkII Superbs utilised the dipped headlights on a reduced output for the DRL function.

The MY11 then got dedicated DRL's integrated into the fog light cluster...

Superb-NoDRL.jpg

Superb-DRL.jpg

• Like 4

The OP appears to be based in Singapore so possibly slightly different spec for that market too. Also, the model years may be delayed in some of these markets and the earlier MYs only reach there a few years later than Europe/UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@too tall it is possible through vcds but in some countries it is illegal.
And your suggestion according to retrofit other units is the best option, and i still am working on it to make it happen as you know.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Feeling interested enough to try... I think it may be possible to connect the power directly to the battery? Do you all know whether there are any connection points on the battery which is located after the ignition? ie: Only comes on after the car is switched on...

i also notice that my cigarette light power doesnt go off... 

I am not sure it would be legal? (In the UK at least)

Fog lights - For vehicles fitted with front fog lights (rear fog lights are also included), it is an offence to illuminate them unless visibility is seriously reduced, which is defined as driving rain, snow or fog with visibility less than 100 metres. Fog lights cause dazzle to other drivers and can attract a £50 non endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice.

From a police site.

Edited by Mph25

Post number 8 is not showing as edited in the thread log.

Wiring directly to the foglight from the battery could cause serious issues with the bulb monitoring system, the correct light units are not expensive and you would have the correct bulb for DRL in addition to the fog lights. Nothing to stop you then wiring these additional bulbs to the battery via a fuse as they would be independent of the bulb monitoring.

Local legislation in europe makes it illegal to use the foglights as DRLs since they are to only be used in reduced visiblilty. The foglights have a lot of light scatter and dazzle oncoming drivers due to the pattern required to improve fog visibilty.

Just bought a 2010 superb, does anyone know how to activate the fog lights to make them DRL or do we have to purchase seperate lights and have them wired?

Not knowing about the gizmo you can buy to adapt the fog lights to DRL, I had an aftermarket LED set installed.  Wired so that they only operate when other head/park lights are off and when the ignition is turned off they remain on for 40 seconds which is handy at night looking for the  front door key!!

I've struggled with the upload of a photo and hope what I have done works!!

post-56552-0-51390000-1413273588_thumb.jpg