Jack

Hi,

does anybody know if the jack in Octavia 3 are similar to the jack in Octavia 2? Or every single VAG car... It seems to me that all VAG cars have the exact same jack, but I might be wrong. Maybe they are different regarding how they "attach" to the car´s channel (not shure if its called that on english), or maybe can handle different weight...

My Octy didnt came with spare wheel, and I need a jack to be able to change tyres twice a year... Have seen a jack for Golf 1997 for sale close to where I live, but am unsure if it fits the Octavia and can handle the weight. Also not shure to trust a 17 year old jack on my new car but that is another problem..

Dealer are asking a ridiculous price for the jack, not even mentioning the full spare wheel kit.... So hope to pick up a used jack and use one of my winter or summer tyre as a spare.

Sorry for my bad english.

Regards,

Bletch

I personally wouldn't use a standard 'scissor' jack to be swapping wheels regularly. I use a trolley jack like the one in this link:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-2-tonne-trolley-jack

I use a block of wood between the jack and the sill of the car and all has been well so far.

Hope that helps,

Matt

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't use a standard 'scissor' jack to be swapping wheels regularly. I use a trolley jack like the one in this link:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-2-tonne-trolley-jack

I use a block of wood between the jack and the sill of the car and all has been well so far.

Hope that helps,

Matt

I've had scissor jacks collapse on me a few times! I'd get a hockey puck on a trolley jack and use that as much safer
  • Like 2

Thanks for replies. I have always just used the jack that came with the car, and it worked quite well. But it does not sound good with collapsing jacks, and I have always been worried about that. But so far so good. 

I Had a Fabia and a Roomster before that both had the one-scissor jack. Look like Octavia 3 has a different jack on pictures I have seen. A two-hand scissor jack. Maybe this one is more stable than the old model?

For the regular wheel change I will get a trolly jack, but also need a smaller jack I can have with me on long hollidays. A trolly is useless there... Also I am a bit nervous after reading about broken sills (that was the name), and I am reluctant to use wood or other home-made sollutions to a brand new car. :)

But you just use a piece of wood not cutting the "line" into it?

Thanks for replies. I have always just used the jack that came with the car, and it worked quite well. But it does not sound good with collapsing jacks, and I have always been worried about that. But so far so good.

I Had a Fabia and a Roomster before that both had the one-scissor jack. Look like Octavia 3 has a different jack on pictures I have seen. A two-hand scissor jack. Maybe this one is more stable than the old model?

For the regular wheel change I will get a trolly jack, but also need a smaller jack I can have with me on long hollidays. A trolly is useless there... Also I am a bit nervous after reading about broken sills (that was the name), and I am reluctant to use wood or other home-made sollutions to a brand new car. :)

But you just use a piece of wood not cutting the "line" into it?

Yeah you do cut the line into it! Or get a special made jacking pad

does anybody know if the jack in Octavia 3 are similar to the jack in Octavia 2?

No, they're not. The jacks in both my Mk1 and Mk2 Octavias were like the one below, whereas the jack that came with my Mk3 (I specified a jack and spare wheel when I ordered mine) is a scissor jack.1K0011031C.jpg

On this point, does a Mk. 3 (normally having no spare wheel) come with a jack at all?

With the new Mk. 3 I have just ordered I paid for the so-called steel "temporary" spare to be included as I don't fancy the repair kit included as standard,

but my added spare won't be much use if no jack is included?

On this point, does a Mk. 3 (normally having no spare wheel) come with a jack at all?

With the new Mk. 3 I have just ordered I paid for the so-called steel "temporary" spare to be included as I don't fancy the repair kit included as standard,

but my added spare won't be much use if no jack is included?

Yes, if you order the temporary spare it comes with the jack and all the other tools you need...

• Like 1

No, they're not. The jacks in both my Mk1 and Mk2 Octavias were like the one below, whereas the jack that came with my Mk3 (I specified a jack and spare wheel when I ordered mine) is a scissor jack.1K0011031C.jpg

Wonder why Skoda changed to a doble scissor jack..? Can you tell if the "pad" (where the jack connects to the car) are similar to the MK2 jack? Havent found any pictures of the MK3 jack other than packed in the kit...

Or does anyone know if the lifting spots are similar on MK2 and MK3? As said I would guess a MK2 jack would do the same job, and its more common and easy for me to buy used.

Another question, if I use one of my winter tyres with 16" alloys as spare, can the alloy be damaged? It will lay face down, and the Skoda-alloy goes a bit outside the rubberwheel. If I lay it that way on the ground it will get scratched. Will it do the same in the spare-wheel well? I think all original spares are steel with the yellow 80-marker. I have never lifted out a spare wheel, so dont know if it just laid in the well, or if its mounted on some sort of connector? Maybe protect it with a carpet or something..?

Cant edit last post so sorry for new post..

Just checked the spare well and it seems you should to use the original Skoda spare as it has a "spike" or some connecting device in the bottom of the well. I wanted to buy the insert kit with the jack, and place that in a winter wheel. But that would be useless as I have to lay the winter wheel with the outside facing upwards. And not downwards as original spare.

So answer to my own question: You can use any wheel as spare, but not with the insert jack-kit.

So will have to buy a separate small emergeny jack. So hope someone know it I can use any old WAG jack with the MK3?

Would have been so much easier if car just came with a spare... (bought it demo, so could not spec it myself. Thought it would be easy to buy a spare, but dealer is asking £500 for it.....!!!).

500 quid, he is pricing an alloy, tyre and the jack.  The spare is now available as a product, even the space save for the vrs, thanks to the persistance of one of the members here, so tell your dealer to do his research properly, or ring skoda uk and get the product number yourself maybe

Another question, if I use one of my winter tyres with 16" alloys as spare, can the alloy be damaged? It will lay face down, and the Skoda-alloy goes a bit outside the rubberwheel. If I lay it that way on the ground it will get scratched. Will it do the same in the spare-wheel well? I think all original spares are steel with the yellow 80-marker. I have never lifted out a spare wheel, so dont know if it just laid in the well, or if its mounted on some sort of connector? Maybe protect it with a carpet or something..?

I had some old carpet which I cut to shape (and cut the centre hole for the spike) and put in the spare-wheel-well in my Mk2, and just made sure I took it out when I changed cars. (I actually put the carpet in the Mk2 in an attempt to reduce the cabin noise a little, which it did, but I guess it would help protect an alloy spare too.)

I ordered as an accessory  the Skoda steel temporary spare with my new car (which is on its way) and the extra cost was about £65, and includes jack and the tools needed to change a wheel.

I wouldn't pay £500 just to get a spare alloy which will sit in the boot most of its life!