New brochure - front assist and ACC

Available? Yes.

Can I get it? No.

Apparently I've been allocated a build slot already so it's too late. Not happy.

I wouldn't worry about it. Had it on my previous mk7 golf. More of a hinderance than a help.

I wouldn't worry about it. Had it on my previous mk7 golf. More of a hinderance than a help.

i think that's subjective as there are several people on here including me who wouldnt be without it :)

i think that's subjective as there are several people on here including me who wouldnt be without it :)

I'm sure.

I found that there were very few occasions when it actually helped. If you think about what it is intended to do (maintain the gap to the car in front) how often do you actually want that to happen?

On a motorway?, no, because you would want to maintain a consistent speed of your choice, not that of the slower car that you've caught up on. And its only a matter of time before someone pulls in front of you within the set 'gap', causing your car to slow. Its nigh on impossible not to be slowed at some point when there was no need to.

On an A road?, possibly, but you're then at the mercy of how smooth or consistent the speed of the car in front is. I found a yo-yo effect can happen quite often, where the ACC would speed the car up quicker than the car in front when returning to its desired speed setting, then slow again when it realises it is closing the gap quicker than it'd like, then the yo-yo starts again when the gap has increased again.

Finally the front assist would on occasion scare the sh!t out of you when a car in front was turning left at a junction. You could see the car was going to turn off before you got to the same point, but the front assist would simply think you were approaching an object in front and making no attempt to slow down. It'd then slam on the anchors, scaring you and no doubt the car behind.

Its certainly not something I would pay for as an option. If its standard fit fair enough (as it was on the Golf). Also a few stories on the golf forums about crisp packets flying up onto the radar sensor causing the car to slam on the brakes. I'm not sure its the finished article as a technology. From what I hear Subaru's Eyesight system is way ahead in terms of functionality and user operability. It has 3d cameras so can understand much better what it is 'seeing'.

Just my tuppence worth.  :)

• Like 1

Just my tuppence worth. :)

Thank you for your tuppence worth and other people's too. Some good points raised.

I think I may give it a miss. As I don't use my own car for work it probably won't get much use. The occasional use it may get on the A14 on a trip to the in-laws doesn't really justify the cost. I tend to only use cruise in average speed camera roadworks sections.

On the various hire cars I've used through work I've found a speed limiter of more use. I'm right in thinking the Octy doesn't have one?

ACC is ideal for long, busy, motorway runs, great for 30, 40, 50 limits, brilliant in M25 traffic that alternates between 15 & 80 mph and really takes the strain away from 4+ hour journeys. It's now on my list of "wouldn't be without it" driver aids (a list that probably started with electric windows in the 80s).

Not seen any of the ill effects mentioned earlier, but maybe it's all in how you use it*. I don't believe the crisp packet stories, although I have had a leaf settle in front of the radar, and I got a warning that the sensor was blind and ACC deactivated.

*car in front going slower - I want to slow down, obviously. Unless I can overtake, then I'll overtake. 

*car pulls in front after overtaking, and continues to pull away - no effect on my speed

*car fills gap - I want a gap, but it is adjustable

*A road, yes speed determined by car in front. How else would it be? Besides, I have an accelerator on my car, and a right foot on the end of my leg, if I want to pass.

*Car slowing to turn left - that's for me to deal with, not ACC, for it's a judgement call.

• Like 1

The occasional use it may get on the A14 on a trip to the in-laws doesn't really justify the cost. I tend to only use cruise in average speed camera roadworks sections.

It's the perfect A14 tool.

ACC is ideal for long, busy, motorway runs, great for 30, 40, 50 limits, brilliant in M25 traffic that alternates between 15 & 80 mph and really takes the strain away from 4+ hour journeys

My commute is Bedfordshire to Southampton. A41, M25, M3, M27. That's EXACTLY why I wanted it. I got the opportunity to use it on my 4 day test drive and on the 4 day test drive I had in the Leon ST FR (same system, but comes as standard...I think). It's brilliant.

What is your build week and is it Code 10 or Code 20?

Couldn't tell you mate. All done through the lease company. They said "no", that's that. I'll live without it but I now know that the car will be going back at the end of the lease period !

Edited by lozza

Just got an email back from my dealer regarding the brochure changes and new standard equipment for the elegance.

He told me these spec changes only apply to cars ordered after the 1st of November.

Is that true? If it is it that would be disappointing.

I have a provisional build week of 49.

Mmmm, brochure is dated October and the changes will come into effect at BW45 as far as I am aware.

Speak to SUK Customer services as I think your dealer may be confusing order date and build date.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've also been told by my dealer that the spec change will come into effect for build dates from w/c 3rd November (build week 45 according to the sales guy). I'm still sulking about XDS! Lol Edited by Falkster
  • Like 1

Had an email exchange with my dealer and he is quietly optimistic but will need to talk to admin on Monday. If I can get ACC I may go for it (I've changed my mind a couple of times today already!). As my order is guestimated at early December build (week 49) I'm hopeful for at least getting the XDS and front assist :-D

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys.

I've just emailed Zenith and called "bulls**t" on their original reply. To be fair the info has probably been fed to them by Skoda UK.

If my car is due mid January, I'm guessing (taking into account Christmas) the build date would be sometime around the start of December, meaning there's no reason why I can't get ACC.

I also told them if I'd known this was going to happen, I'd have delayed ordering. See what happens I suppose.

• Like 1

Also, andyvee mentioned "code 10" v "code 20" with regards to build weeks. I'm new to all this (as you can probably tell).....what's the difference between the two?

Thanks mate.

The email I got from Zenith....

"Unfortunately the Adaptive Cruise Control cannot be added to your order as a build slot has been confirmed. No amendments can be made to the spec of your order at this point."

Sounds a bit ambiguous. If it's getting built next week, it should be here next month then....which, considering I only ordered it 5 weeks ago, seems unlikely.

Edited by lozza

Ingrams in Ayr.

I think I might just call them direct tomorrow, the one time I did speak to them they seemed quite helpful.

• Like 1

+1 for ACC

Yes, occasionally a car will fill the gap causing you to slow down, but in the past my solution for making sure nobody filled the gap was driving too close to the car in front of me... If you like keeping a 50ft distance at 60mph then ACC is definitely not for you.

I have the ACC distance set at minimum and ACC acceleration to "sport", and it still keeps a more secure distance and accelerate at a later point than I would in the past when I was an Audi owner :)

I agree with gt40. ACC is a great help for a lot of situations. It does have some limitations, but you quickly learn to identify those and respond. Even with all these aids you still have to look out of the front screen and be alert!

When I occasionally drive my wife's car I really miss the ACC. When my current car is due for replacement I will only consider a car with ACC!

• Like 2

I'll call Skoda Customer Services on Monday. Hopefully get some clarification.

Well I spoke to Customer Services. Much more helpful than the dealer!!!

She took my factory order number and spoke to their retail sales unit. She told me that as my car still provisionally build week 49 that I will get the spec changes.

• Like 1