Top VCDS mods?

Gyp

Richard

I visited the XDS function via the following route (FL L&K CR170 4x4):

ABS brakes

Long coding: Byte 17 and then put a tick in Bit 3 '(Extended) Electronic Differential Lock (XDS - PR-UG3/UG4) active/installed' 

The in Adaptation you can check what level of XDS you have (defaults to average).

• Like 1

Richard

I visited the XDS function via the following route (FL L&K CR170 4x4):

ABS brakes

Long coding: Byte 17 and then put a tick in Bit 3 '(Extended) Electronic Differential Lock (XDS - PR-UG3/UG4) active/installed' 

The in Adaptation you can check what level of XDS you have (defaults to average).

Found that, but it's asking for initialization values now.  Default of 12345 or leaving as 0 results in the coding being rejected.

Suspect it's not possible as in adaption it's showing channel 36 (XDS) as error, not available.

Possibly because my ABS module is listed as UG1 and UG4 only, not 3 ?

Found that, but it's asking for initialization values now.  Default of 12345 or leaving as 0 results in the coding being rejected.

Suspect it's not possible as in adaption it's showing channel 36 (XDS) as error, not available.

Possibly because my ABS module is listed as UG1 and UG4 only, not 3 ?

Ah. Can't help you there, I'm afraid. Mine went straight through.

Mine is the 1KO 907 379 AP.

So that suggests I can have UG 1 or 4 ?

Rarely use the VCDS, where do I enter the PR-UG code to try and activate it, can't see...

Yep looks like you can have both as on my car.....

These may be of some help to yourself and others???

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/hill-hold-activation-and-disable-with-vcds-mk6-vw/  (Enabling of HHC)

http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/skoda-superb-3t/xds-aktivieren.php  (Enabling of XDS.... In German so requires your browser to translate to English)

Hope these help....

Serious question.

If you alter any of the settings away from what they were set at on manufacture, should you inform your insurance company?

Really?

it’s a setting that VAG have written into the controller, it’s similar to someone changing for example the power steering assistance, or fitting a set of tyres (to the same factory size and rating) not available from the factory.

Yes, really.

We have had comments in the past that insurers are interested if you alter the vehicle after manufacture, such as fitting extra lights or remapping/chipping. Surely altering the settings in VCDS, for say the braking system, is doing exactly the same and should therefore be notified?

People don't tell their insurers that they've significantly increased their chances of a collision by fitting the cheapest chinese hedgehunter tyres...I'd say that's far more of a risk than choosing some alternative module settings that the vehicle manufacturer have made available.

• Like 2

Yes, really.

We have had comments in the past that insurers are interested if you alter the vehicle after manufacture, such as fitting extra lights or remapping/chipping. Surely altering the settings in VCDS, for say the braking system, is doing exactly the same and should therefore be notified?

Surely, by virtue of the fact that Skoda installed the controller & also all of its variety of settings, you're not adding anything to the car. Should we notify insurers if Skoda update a setting as part of a service or recall?

Surely, by virtue of the fact that Skoda installed the controller & also all of its variety of settings, you're not adding anything to the car.

Skoda provide a controller with a particular software setting which, using a tool that is not provided to the dealership, is modified to alter the way in which the car behaves.

This is as true of the convenience module as it is of the fuel injection computer.

In both cases, all that is being changed is a few bits in NVRAM

I think the keyword is "modified" whether it is mechanical or electronic etc is irrelevant. If you "modify" your vehicle in such a way to change it's handling, performance, power output etc doesn't matter, You have changed it from factory spec and therefore your insurer may want to increase the premium, impose restrictions whatever. At the end of the day it might mean your insurance is invalid. Ask your insurer "I might be thinking of altering my vehicle spec - is that a problem?". See what they say.

Jerry

• Like 1

Perhaps those that 'don't get VCDS' and are feeling the need to preach to those that 'do get VCDS' could start their own thread and leave this one alone for its intended purpose? 

I'm sure that those here that 'do get VCDS' (or remaps, tuning boxes etc) are grown up enough to inform anyone they think needs informing of their interest without the self promoted forum police coming along to wag 'you naughty boy/girl' fingers at them.

Do those with non-standard big rufty-tufty mud flaps, GPS units in the middle of the windscreen or 'baby on board' stickers in the rear window, confess their sins to the relevant authorities? Just asking.... :bandit:

• Like 1

I do "get" VCDS, but I also "get" insurance companies and their requirements about notifying them when modifications are made to a vehicle that alters the standard specification of that vehicle, which is why I have notified my insurance company that I have a towbar fitted, and why I will notify them if I fit auxiliary lights. 

As far as I can see any modification to the braking or handling system using the VCDS system is the same as someone having a tuning chip fitted or having the ECU remapped for performance or economy, both of which are well reported as needing Insurance company notification and approval. No-one has yet shown a good reason why that view is incorrect.

It is a justifiable question here, as this is a DISCUSSION forum.

But is it a "factory option"? 

Surely if it was that then ALL owners would be offered it when they ordered their car, but they aren't. It is something that is done by an "outsider" (and that is not a criticism of those people!). We have examples on this forum of dealers refusing even to do the simplest VCDS changes because of possible liability later.  

A towbar is now a factory option and available to all but you are still required to notify your insurance company you have one fitted, even though there may be no additional charge.

It is a justifiable question here, as this is a DISCUSSION forum.

Indeed, Graham. It was just that as you'd asked your question then provided your own answer to your own question, I misinterpreted your point as being one of attempted antagonism rather discussion.

My mistake, for which I apologise...  

• Like 1

Do you have to notify your insurance company if you use a slightly higher grade fuel than usual, or if you use Mobil 1 motor oil instead of Quantum

Altering a vehicle's 'built-in' settings is NOT, in my opinion, anything like adding a remap, emphasis on the word 'adding', therefore not being 'built-in' at the factory

I think someone is trying to claw back some points from being proved wrong earlier in the thread, and is now p*ssing into a higher wind than he was p*ssing into to start with

• Like 3

Indeed, Graham. It was just that as you'd asked your question then provided your own answer to your own question, I misinterpreted your point as being one of attempted antagonism rather discussion.

My mistake, for which I apologise...  

Easy thing to do TBH - you wouldnt be the first

• Like 2