steel wheels from yeti won't fit.

I'm gutted. I was going to swap my 16" alloys & tyres over for my old yeti 16" steels with winter tyres on them but after asking my dealer it turns out that they aren't compatible. Apparently the mk3 octy hub is totally different to any other skoda. The dealer wants £80 per steel wheel. Now I'm stuck with a full set of wheels & winters I can't use as it's too costly to swap tyres or buy new wheels.

I'm gutted. I was going to swap my 16" alloys & tyres over for my old yeti 16" steels with winter tyres on them but after asking my dealer it turns out that they aren't compatible. Apparently the mk3 octy hub is totally different to any other skoda. The dealer wants £80 per steel wheel. Now I'm stuck with a full set of wheels & winters I can't use as it's too costly to swap tyres or buy new wheels.

Are they telling the truth or trying to sell you four wheels at £80 each?

Sounds like BS to me.

• Like 1

I haven't tried yet. They just said skoda say they won't fit and if I try they would void my insurance. I'm gonna get my full sized steel spare out and check it against the yeti steels.

They are feeding you some serious BS to try and make a sale. You could almost say its fraud.

Octavia II: 5x112, 57.1 bore, ET47

Octavia III: 5x112, 57.1 bore, ET47

Yeti: 5x112, 57.1 bore, ET47

You will need to declare the steels to your insurer, but that applies to any that you would fit.

• Like 2

There is two things to check, offset of the wheel which will be marked on it, normally with ET preceding it. The second thing to check is size of the 16" tyres you have. You may find that the dimensions of these are much bigger than your standard wheels. Apart from affecting your speedo reading, too big a difference can also affect things like ABS and ESC operation. You may also have rubbing on suspension components and bodywork.

• Like 1

You will need to declare the steels to your insurer, but that applies to any that you would fit.

Actually that's not necessarily true. You can check the list here as to whether your insurer needs informing and if they may charge extra:

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx

Actually that's not necessarily true. You can check the list here as to whether your insurer needs informing and if they may charge extra:

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx

That only applies to tyres. It makes no mention of wheels, unless the specific insurer has decided they didn't need to know at the time.

That only applies to tyres. It makes no mention of wheels, unless the specific insurer has decided they didn't need to know at the time.

Good point, I stand corrected. Although I can't see an insurance company penalising you for fitting steel wheels, likely only if you fit a size of wheel that is not recommended by the manufacturer / is bigger than what came with your car as standard.

• Like 1

The tyres on the yeti winters are 205/55. 16. Same as the octavia. So I could just swap the tyres over but that's costly. Between £10 & £20 per tyre I've been quoted.

Regarding insurance, they really have mellowed on the winter wheel cash cow stupidity and got their act together! I have tyres but needed wheels to put them on, so I had a look on the web for wheels that had TUV approval and discovered that Dezent do some alloys for not much more than steelies (cheaper steelies are available, but I really wanted the TUV report). Anyway, I didn't want to get the alloys and get stung by Churchill so I got in touch, and it turns out that they couldn't give a monkeys whether you have non-OEM alloys or steelies, provided that they meet the vehicle spec and are being used specifically for winter tyres (one must assume that they must come off in summer or there might be further questions).

I will ring them up to let them know when they go on and off, although I'm not sure even that is a requirement, but regarding the premium there is no charge. My father-in-law has also been told the same thing by his insurer.

Getting the wheels is another issue, I ordered a set of Dezent TD from Oponeo and so far only have half a set, but I assume that time (hopefully not too much) will resolve that issue!

Ring the dealer back up and tell him he's an arse.

Name the dealer on here too.

In any case the 16" Skoda steels are £ 60 from Bickerton Sheffield or aftermarket £ 32 from tyreleader.

• Like 1