Skoda Fabia 1.2 12v htp bzg engine what are peoples opinions on them

Hey guys i have a little 1.2 htp 12v fabia sport and i honestly love it look after it like it a third limb to me but what are other peoples opinions on these engines mines done 42400 miles approx picture of my little baby in post 

post-117675-0-57953600-1412968292_thumb.jpg

Love my little HTP. Iv got a 70hp 2013 model, n drove a 2005 polo with the 65hp HTP engine in before this.

Cant beat em. They arent fast, but all the torque is in the right places, theyre pretty bullet proof compared to other stuff too.

Nice, churpy little engine

wey hey :) i have a htp friend and yeah ive noticed that once it get past 2500 rpm it kicks in abit more and the engine note changes and it there any common problems to look for on the 12v engines as i know the 6v engines had problems with valves

Yeah the engine tends to step up a little bit doesnt it :).

The car looks good! I like it! Always like the sports in red, stand out abit more dont they!

I think the valve issues were just on the early engines?

Not sure of any known problems tbh. Its pretty rare any HTP's pop up on here with any issues.

Obviously it would be silly to say they dont have any problems, at all, but theyre definitely a pretty damn reliable engine as far as my experience and what I've seen on here

i have the same engine with the same wheels as yours., no problems at all in 6 years, use it every day, in the hot, freezing cold, starts every time, still runs like I had it on day 1. Shouldn't have any problems as long as it's serviced.

• Like 1

Hello casement, yes...agree with fabia55. It's a gem of an engine. But like all engines, service it on time and it'll go pretty much forever.  All the 1.2 htp engines are good, whatever year, but some early ones did suffer from minor issues.  Overall, there are no problems with this engine to worry about, especially on the later ones. What year is yours?

• Like 1

I used to like ours even though I've owned much quicker Fabia's. Wizzing through the gears in town or on backroads and trying to maintain momentum can be fun. Also the engine is very light so the HTP's handle completely different to something like a 1.9/1.6 tdi, the HTP changes direction much quicker.

Only downside in motorway work, I found it completely capable on the motorway but because of the high revs the economy would really suffer as the speed increased.

Lee

• Like 1

hey estate man mine is on a 08 plate and i have the service indicators set at just over 4 k and i have also a performace air filter in to allow the car to breathe better and i washed and clay bared it today but then the heavens opened :( and i have a few bits of painting i want doing on it cause so saving up for that to be done and then im thinking of buying a sat nav radio unit for it :D to moderise the inside a little bit as mine has the "dance" radio in atm and aye they aint the fastest things in the world but the power is there when you need it :D i also check my levels every couple of weeks to see if there all ok and top up if necessary :) and i also brim mine with fuel every week no matter how much ive got left in tank hate hate hate running it down like i have my other cars and estate man you can also call me rob :) as this is one big family of skodas :D  

I used to like ours even though I've owned much quicker Fabia's. Wizzing through the gears in town or on backroads and trying to maintain momentum can be fun. Also the engine is very light so the HTP's handle completely different to something like a 1.9/1.6 tdi, the HTP changes direction much quicker.

Only downside in motorway work, I found it completely capable on the motorway but because of the high revs the economy would really suffer as the speed increased.

Lee

Never driven a fabia with a 1.9/1.6 tdi. Does it really make that much difference?

Also. I know what you mean with the revs being too high, 3.500 rpm in the polo. Made motorway driving seem abit tougher.

The later HTP engines have different gear ratios. My 2013 revs at 3000rpm at 70mph in 5th. Makes it seem much happier between 70-80mph and usually returns 50mpg on such runs.

Love my little HTP. Iv got a 70hp 2013 model, n drove a 2005 polo with the 65hp HTP engine in before this.

Cant beat em. They arent fast, but all the torque is in the right places, theyre pretty bullet proof compared to other stuff too.

Nice, churpy little engine

54bhp FTW
  • Like 1

Never driven a fabia with a 1.9/1.6 tdi. Does it really make that much difference?

There's 120kg difference to the 1.6TDi and nearly 150kg difference to the 1.9TDi and all that weight is right at the front of the car over the front wheels.

Yep it makes quite a difference to how the car feels through twisty B roads. The heavier diesels are not as keen to change direction and always want to push wide on tighter bends.

One bit of trivia, when we had our Mk1 TDi the Kerb Weight was 1250kg. I also had a 280bhp Impreza Series McRae, this had a 2 litre turbo flat four engine, four wheel drive with viscous centre diff and limited slip diff in the rear axle. The kerb weight was 1235kg.

The old 1.9TDi was a heavy lump of iron.

Lee

• Like 1

There's 120kg difference to the 1.6TDi and nearly 150kg difference to the 1.9TDi and all that weight is right at the front of the car over the front wheels.

Yep it makes quite a difference to how the car feels through twisty B roads. The heavier diesels are not as keen to change direction and always want to push wide on tighter bends.

One bit of trivia, when we had our Mk1 TDi the Kerb Weight was 1250kg. I also had a 280bhp Impreza Series McRae, this had a 2 litre turbo flat four engine, four wheel drive with viscous centre diff and limited slip diff in the rear axle. The kerb weight was 1235kg.

The old 1.9TDi was a heavy lump of iron.

Lee

Crikey. 150kg is a lot. Well, its 23 stone over the front wheels compared. N thats a heavy guy. Not sure my htp would move if it had 150kg more haha.

I had the 1.2 htp (70). Great little engine cheap as chips to own, lovely sound, quick and nimble around town.

Downside is the economy at speed, it's a very capable motorway drive but the economy suffers above around 65mph. 

I loved mine in the 3 years I owned it and the engine was problem free.

have any of use had anu annoying rattles when engine is cold ? cause mine seems to have one and it is hard to describe what it sounds like really you can hear it more when you stick your ear in passenger wheel arch

Has it been like this since you got it or only just started?

• 3 months later...

On the whole i'm happy with my 2008 fabia but it tends to be spoilt by the howling noise from the engine.it is rev dependent and does not stop with engine warming up.I changed the aux belt but no difference,I suspect it may be the meshing of the gears driving the balance shaft. Anyone out there got any enlightenment? As I understand it ,if this is so ,it is a no go situation for the home mechanic.