2015 F1 drivers & teams

Coops

With Vettel announcing his decision to leave Red Bull, this has started the annual circus of. So here is the list together with engine manufacturer. Will keep it updated as things progress, please feel free to post any news or rumours:

Red Bull (Renault)

• Daniel Ricciardo (Has contract)
  • Daniil Kvyat (Has contract)

Mercedes (Mercedes)

• Lewis Hamilton (Has contract)
  • Nico Rosberg (Has contract)

Ferrari (Ferrari)

• Kimi Raikkonen (Has contract)
  • Sebastian Vettel (Has contract)

Lotus (Mercedes)

• Romain Grosjean (Has contract)
  • Pastor Maldonado (Has contract)

McLaren (Honda)

• Fernando Alonso (Has contract)
  • Jenson Button (Has contract)

Force India (Mercedes)

• Sergio Perez (Has contract)
  • Nico Hulkenberg (Has contract)

Sauber (Ferrari)

• Marcus Ericsson (Has contract)
  • Felipe Nasr (Has contract)

Toro Rosso (Renault)

• Max Verstappen (Has contract)
  • Carlos Sainz Jr (Has contract)

Williams (Mercedes)

• Felipe Massa (Has contract)
  • Valtteri Bottas (Has contract)

No seat / Unconfirmed

• Esteban Gutierrez
  • Adrian Sutil
  • Jean Eric-Vergne
  • Kamui Kobayashi
  • Max Chilton
Edited by Coops
  • Like 1

Not sure how credible this is but former Ferrari president Di Montezemolo has confirmed that Alonso is leaving Ferrari at the end of the season - he is apparently leaving for 2 reasons: One, he wants another environment. Two, because he is an age when he cannot wait to win again.

• Like 2

I think the media are focused on the wrong driver: all the rumours are about Vet and Alo, but I think the key is Ham, who has delayed his contract discussions until the end of the year: his current contract runs to the end of 2015, & Merc is a dominant car, they will know they won't struggle to fill his seat if he were to depart, so IMO they will attempt to beat Ham down on price from the $20 million a season he is on currently, but if Lewis wins the WDC he will be in a much stronger position to ask for more.

Complicating this is I can envisage Mclaren offering Ham a bumper multi year deal to return, so in my mind, in the near future we will find out if Ham is about winning (stay with Merc) or money (Mclaren) for 2016. It wouldn't suprise if the recent visual cooling of hostility between the Merc pair is the result of Wolff/ Lauda saying: "cut the s***, anyone on the grid could win in this car, if you want the drive/ 50% shot of the WDC next year too, play nice." 

In the meantime, Vet and Alo will be in contact with Merc offering to drive for less perhaps, (like Senna did in 93) while trying to insert performance clauses into their multi year contracts with Mclaren and Ferrari if Lewis's seat becomes available for 2016. An interesting game of chess, and the first move is Lewis's.

On another subject, cannot believe that of the three experienced drivers, on results, Kimi and Massa are signed for next year, but Button is on his way out. #Scandalous.

• Like 2

I think the media are focused on the wrong driver: all the rumours are about Vet and Alo, but I think the key is Ham, who has delayed his contract discussions until the end of the year: his current contract runs to the end of 2015, & Merc is a dominant car, they will know they won't struggle to fill his seat if he were to depart, so IMO they will attempt to beat Ham down on price from the $20 million a season he is on currently, but if Lewis wins the WDC he will be in a much stronger position to ask for more.

Complicating this is I can envisage Mclaren offering Ham a bumper multi year deal to return, so in my mind, in the near future we will find out if Ham is about winning (stay with Merc) or money (Mclaren) for 2016. It wouldn't suprise if the recent visual cooling of hostility between the Merc pair is the result of Wolff/ Lauda saying: "cut the s***, anyone on the grid could win in this car, if you want the drive/ 50% shot of the WDC next year too, play nice." 

In the meantime, Vet and Alo will be in contact with Merc offering to drive for less perhaps, (like Senna did in 93) while trying to insert performance clauses into their multi year contracts with Mclaren and Ferrari if Lewis's seat becomes available for 2016. An interesting game of chess, and the first move is Lewis's.

On another subject, cannot believe that of the three experienced drivers, on results, Kimi and Massa are signed for next year, but Button is on his way out. #Scandalous.

I like your thinking..... the musical chairs for 2015 could get very interesting!

There was a rumour floating about last week (albeit very quickly rubbished) that Hamilton had flown into Woking, met with management, stayed for 4 hours and then flew out with a huge smile on his face?

I don't doubt that Button and KMag have been told something - you could tell by their body language last weekend - I suspect they have been told it's one of you but not both leaving McLaren's options open for (primarily) Alonso.

Musical chairs indeed!

• Like 1

There was a rumour floating about last week (albeit very quickly rubbished) that Hamilton had flown into Woking, met with management, stayed for 4 hours and then flew out with a huge smile on his face?

I don't doubt that Button and KMag have been told something - you could tell by their body language last weekend - I suspect they have been told it's one of you but not both leaving McLaren's options open for (primarily) Alonso.

Musical chairs indeed!

They both seemed hacked off and given that Boullier is the man running the team, I think they're both out.  Put a tenner on Alonso / Grosjean at Woking next year.

Button said to BBC "People shouldn't feel sorry for me..."  Clearly its all over for him at least.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2

They both seemed hacked off and given that Boullier is the man running the team, I think they're both out.  Put a tenner on Alonso / Grosjean at Woking next year.

Button said to BBC "People shouldn't feel sorry for me..."  Clearly its all over for him at least.

Agreed - Button will be with the BBC next season.

Alonso has said he didn't think he'd be driving next year with a Mercedes powered car, so it's got to be McLaren. Delay must be to do with Ron Dennis.

I wonder if Honda wants two ex WDC's to help launch their return to F1, so maybe JB will get a seat, but will have to take a pay cut and agree to be the number 2 driver?

There seems to be some favourable noises coming out about the performance of the new Honda powerplant, but then you'd probably expect that, no matter how it's performing (running on 3 cylinders, going into limp home mode, excess oil consumption, won't hot start, etc, etc, - usual kind of things!!)

I think it will be a mistake for McLaren to take on Alonso considering the history they have, he is a very divisive character and the only driver they would keep on to partner him is Magnussen and tell him he will be a number 2, something that Button would never do. I can see Honda pushing for Button to stay on as he has history with them and will be a good development driver but with Boullier calling the shots then who knows what will happen. If Button is out then there is a rumour going about that he will join Webber at Porsche in the world endurance championship.

Ian

It looks like McLaren think Button is finished, and Magnussen, like Perez, hasn't consistently burned him off to justify a second year.

If you bring a new driver in for the long term he's gotta spank the incumbent number 1 - Like Ricciardo has done :D

I think it will be a mistake for McLaren to take on Alonso ..

It may not be McLaren taking him on but Honda directly. There is the possibility that Honda operate more like a works team and they do the partnering with a team, rather than the other way round. If after the end if the first year, McLaren don't perform well enough with the overall package then Honda have the right to terminate and find a better package elsewhere.

It may not be McLaren taking him on but Honda directly. There is the possibility that Honda operate more like a works team and they do the partnering with a team, rather than the other way round. If after the end if the first year, McLaren don't perform well enough with the overall package then Honda have the right to terminate and find a better package elsewhere.

This is true but I can't see Ron Dennis playing second fiddle to Honda and allowing them to use McLaren merely as a chassis supplier, they no doubt will have a keen interest and influence in the decision of who drives but at the end of the day the entry to F1 next year will be under the McLaren name running out of Woking with Honda as the works power unit supplier on an exclusive basis, at the moment, for the next 2 years. If at the end of that period they decide to form their own team like before, running out of Milton Keynes this time rather than Brackley, then where the drivers go will tell us the contracts are with.

Ian

• Like 1

This is true but I can't see Ron Dennis playing second fiddle to Honda and allowing them to use McLaren merely as a chassis supplier, they no doubt will have a keen interest and influence in the decision of who drives but at the end of the day the entry to F1 next year will be under the McLaren name running out of Woking with Honda as the works power unit supplier on an exclusive basis, at the moment, for the next 2 years. If at the end of that period they decide to form their own team like before, running out of Milton Keynes this time rather than Brackley, then where the drivers go will tell us the contracts are with.

Ian

Hmmm...Honda's new base is at Milton Keynes right near some other F1 outfit...   Anybody remember 1984 when HONDA dumped their year 1 development team Spirit and took their engines to Williams.  Or 1988 when HONDA dumped Williams for Mclaren.  

Red Bull - Honda in 2016 anyone?

Edited by camelspyyder

There's something quite depressing about seeing very good drivers potentially out of a seat next year and Super Maldonado Kart having a contract.

Well he is 1 of only 9 GP winners on the grid, but he also brings a vast amount of sponsorship

You cant really say that Maldonado is chosen for his raw talent, it is all about the money with him, while he is a GP winner I dont think he could really be put in the same class as the rest. I mean, choice of Bottas or Maldonado if the money wasnt involved who'd you pick? GP winner doesnt mean much tbh. 

You cant really say that Maldonado is chosen for his raw talent, it is all about the money with him, while he is a GP winner I dont think he could really be put in the same class as the rest. I mean, choice of Bottas or Maldonado if the money wasnt involved who'd you pick? GP winner doesnt mean much tbh.

Dr Z was denying Maldonado had any talent, but in a pretty poor Williams he beat Alonso to the win in Barcelona fair and square.

Yes Venezulan oil buys his drives but credit where it's due I think.

Dr Z was denying Maldonado had any talent, but in a pretty poor Williams he beat Alonso to the win in Barcelona fair and square.

Yes Venezulan oil buys his drives but credit where it's due I think.

I don't deny that he has talent. Nobody gets a seat in F1 without being good behind the wheel, but he has a few good races and plenty of really terrible ones too, and there are people with a much better potential needing a contract.

There isn't an equivalent of this http://hasmaldonadocrashedtoday.com for a lot of the other drivers.

• Like 1

If money was no object I'd have Alonso, Ricciardo, maybe Bottas as reserve. Bottas hasn't yet beaten a top class team-mate - they've all been a bit past-it. Edited by camelspyyder

Hmmm...Honda's new base is at Milton Keynes right near some other F1 outfit...   Anybody remember 1984 when HONDA dumped their year 1 development team Spirit and took their engines to Williams.  Or 1988 when HONDA dumped Williams for Mclaren.  

Red Bull - Honda in 2016 anyone?

I think it is because they are going to use the new Mugen factory, which is in MK, as a base for their European operations while still building the power units in Japan.

Ian