What mods can i do that won't void/affect my warranty?

ang9444

Hi,

Was wondering what mods are available that won't void or affect my warranty? I wanted to lower the car and thought of lowering springs and rang up Skoda dealer to check and they said it would void my suspension warranty... What mods can I do? Mostly performance wise because looks wise I am happy with my car (apart from the fact I can't lower it due to the warranty). It's a monte carlo black edition.

Thanks

Fitting the Lowering Springs the same as Skoda Dealer will sell and fit for you does not Void the Warranty on the suspension.

There is a Free Market and as long as they are the correct springs correctly fitted.

Obviously the New Springs are not covered, but if you buy them from a Skoda Dealer, the actual Springs will 

have a Warranty the same as other Parts Bought.

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

see page 4 & 6

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Fitting the Lowering Springs the same as Skoda Dealer will sell and fit for you does not Void the Warranty on the suspension.

There is a Free Market and as long as they are the correct springs correctly fitted.

Obviously the New Springs are not covered, but if you buy them from a Skoda Dealer, the actual Springs will 

have a Warranty the same as other Parts Bought.

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

see page 4 & 6

I see, are those springs as good as the market ones, say H&R for example? And will they rip me off for them or?

I see, are those springs as good as the market ones, say H&R for example? And will they rip me off for them or?

They're Eibach aftermarket ones sold by the Skoda dealers as an approved accessory.

• Like 2

AFAIK any mod you do will affect the warranty for the part you change and areas that it may have an effect on. That doesn't mean you warranty is gone, it just means that it needs to be shown that the modification either was or wasn't the cause.

A window tint is not going to mess up the engine. But Skoda or the dealership could make tenuous links between some seemingly unrelated parts if there is a problem or they may not, after all the dealerships get paid by Skoda to do the warranty work so they want the business!

Insurers though are another issue.

• Like 1

With a 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty', which is Underwritten by Car Care Plan LTD.

You need to Read the Exclusions and T&C's carefully.

Modifications require Written Approval and they say who must be carrying out the modifications,

then there are Exclusions for 'Motorsport Events' that Void the Warranty.

That is the same as the Exclusions with most Manufacturers Warranty & Motorsport Events.

Edited by goneoffSKi

AFAIK any mod you do will affect the warranty for the part you change and areas that it may have an effect on. That doesn't mean you warranty is gone, it just means that it needs to be shown that the modification either was or wasn't the cause.

A window tint is not going to mess up the engine. But Skoda or the dealership could make tenuous links between some seemingly unrelated parts if there is a problem or they may not, after all the dealerships get paid by Skoda to do the warranty work so they want the business!

Insurers though are another issue.

With a 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty', which is Underwritten by Car Care Plan LTD.

You need to Read the Exclusions and T&C's carefully.

Modifications require Written Approval and they say who must be carrying out the modifications,

then there are Exclusions for 'Motorsport Events' that Void the Warranty.

That is the same as the Exclusions with most Manufacturers Warranty & Motorsport Events.

So as far as i'm aware it's not worth doing any mods whilst my car is still in warranty?

1. OEM size rotors and pads but of a performance variety with appropriate type approvals and for road use, braided brake lines will not affect your warranty
  2. Lighter alloys will not affect your warranty.
  3. Performance tyres
  4. RARB is very unlikely to affect your warranty, rear dampers might be argued
  5. Changing engine air filter element every 4-6 months will nnot affect your warranty but will keep the power where it should be.
  6. Intercooler upgrade is unlikely to effect warranty provided you installed one which is designed for the car and do not hack away at the car to make some generic one fit
  7. Eibach lowering springs bought and from the Skoda Dealer and installed by them not only will have full warranty but will also keep your insurance premium unchanged
  8. Cat back exhaust will not affect the warranty

What will invalidate your warranty

1. Any ECU mapping and tuning boxes
  2. Aftermarket air intake boxes
  3. big brake kits 
  4. engine mounts and sports bushes will be argued as they transfer more road impact energy back to the engine
  5. Turbo back exhaust as changing the designed back pressure and screwing up turbo oil seals pressure differential gradients
  6. Coilovers, spacers etc will obviously void suspension warranty

The above are just my opinion on the subject, I might be wrong of course :)

P.S. Warranty will be void if it can be proved the warranty voiding mods were on your car ;)

• Like 1

re post #7.

Do what ever you want if you own the car, but just be aware if there are certain breakages you might have to pay yourself and 

not make warranty claims for the Manufacturer to pay.

So its just the same as when out of Warranty, you will pay then if anything goes wrong.

From buying new, probably best to see that everything is well Manufactured and Fitted, and not likely to need a Warranty Claim.

then fill your boots and do all the modifications you want. JMO.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

I have also found the dealer in question matters too... my old fiat dealer were happy with me remapping the car, and upheld the warrenty (not that it needed anything) ,

my current skoda dealer are along the lines of "if the modded part affects something else that fails, no warrenty" i.e my RARB will probably void my rear suspension of warrenty, but i wouldnt want replacement standard shocks ect, i would upgrade if there was an issue! , if its skoda approved (eibachs) warrenty intact, if its a replacement part rather than a modded part (yellowstuff pads) no problem, (they wouldnt replace modded parts, I recently had new plugs under warrenty, and asked if I could supply upgraded plugs, they wouldn't fit the upgraded part, as part of the warrenty work :( )

I have carefully avoided any tampering with my engine or gearbox! lol..... not even an exhaust! there are rumours that a lack of back pressure can cause turbo seals to fail ect .....

my future mods under warrenty will be FARB, and polybushing, then bilstien dampers...

after warrenty gone, engine! lol...

• Like 1

Most performance mods will likely have some impact on warranty sadly. To be honest the monte is never going to be setting the road alight no matter what you do to it so if I were in your shoes I'd save the money I would have spent on mods and put it towards my next/faster motor. :-)

1. OEM size rotors and pads but of a performance variety with appropriate type approvals and for road use, braided brake lines will not affect your warranty
  2. Lighter alloys will not affect your warranty.
  3. Performance tyres
  4. RARB is very unlikely to affect your warranty, rear dampers might be argued
  5. Changing engine air filter element every 4-6 months will nnot affect your warranty but will keep the power where it should be.
  6. Intercooler upgrade is unlikely to effect warranty provided you installed one which is designed for the car and do not hack away at the car to make some generic one fit
  7. Eibach lowering springs bought and from the Skoda Dealer and installed by them not only will have full warranty but will also keep your insurance premium unchanged
  8. Cat back exhaust will not affect the warranty

What will invalidate your warranty

1. Any ECU mapping and tuning boxes
  2. Aftermarket air intake boxes
  3. big brake kits 
  4. engine mounts and sports bushes will be argued as they transfer more road impact energy back to the engine
  5. Turbo back exhaust as changing the designed back pressure and screwing up turbo oil seals pressure differential gradients
  6. Coilovers, spacers etc will obviously void suspension warranty

The above are just my opinion on the subject, I might be wrong of course :)

P.S. Warranty will be void if it can be proved the warranty voiding mods were on your car ;)

list looks good, thinking of doing the springs first, thanks for the info :thumbup:

Most performance mods will likely have some impact on warranty sadly. To be honest the monte is never going to be setting the road alight no matter what you do to it so if I were in your shoes I'd save the money I would have spent on mods and put it towards my next/faster motor. :-)

yeah I was thinking that, might wait for the new mk3 vrs in 2-3 years lol