Check engine light (Orange) on, no other symptoms CR170

This evening when I started the car, the orange check engine light stayed on. It remained on after I stopped and restarted the engine. There is no warning beep from the dashboard and there are no other symptoms I can see, the engine sounds and drives as normal. I'm hoping this was a one-off spurious sensor reading and the ECU is keeping the light on until I get the codes reset, but has anyone seen this before? No messages on the maxidot either - still saying 500+ days and 12,000+ km till service (Which it's been doing pretty much since I bought it 20,000 km and 8 months ago)...

I had this about 6 weeks ago.

Was the DPF back pressure sensor failed.

No other symptoms.

I drove it for another 2000 miles before having a window to book it in.

Could be one of a number of possibilities but I reckon most likely related to exhaust control systems in one way or another, especially where there is no loss of power.  I had the same symptoms on my previous Superb and it was the EGR valve that had to be replaced

• Like 1

Really need to get the car scanned for faults, the light can come on for hundreds of different reasons. Getting the car scanned using VCDS or a dealer will save throwing money at it in the hope what you just changed may cause it to go out.

It'll get another 160 km on it before I can get it to a friend of mine who will do the scan. It's still under warranty from the garage I bought it from, so I'll give them a call too, but they're 230 km away...

Scanned for the fault code last Friday - don't have the number handy as it's on another computer (I'll add it this evening), but it translates to something along the lines of 'Intermittent connection on auxiliary coolant pump'. It explains why there were no symptoms anyway as I'm not sure that pump is ever used in my car as it gets driven gently for a few minutes every trip before the engine is shut off anyway. I didn't know the car even had this I've read about them in TSI engines alright though - It's basically a more energy efficient version of a turbo timer :).

I reset the fault code on Friday and the light was off the next time I started the car. It turned on again the time after that but has stayed off ever since. A combination of miserable weather and a busy weekend means I haven't had a chance to look for a dodgy connection yet. The timing belt and water pump were done a few weeks back though, so that connection might have been damaged. 

Has anyone seen this fault before?

Edited by psycholist

The code is P261A Coolant Pump "B" Control Circuit/Open. Still no sign of the warning light back on :).

I had some issues with the aux cooling pump on my last Superb. I never got fault lights but I had some noise/slight rubbing or squeaking noise on a cold start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know, but if its a fault code it may not be the pump or connections. It could be that there's a relay driving the pump, and the ECU is sensing a problem with connections to the relay.

Swmbo had the same problem, 1.9 tdi 10 plate I cleared it and it stayed off for months, while on holiday and not having the scanner with us it came back on for a few days we gave it a damn good hammering along the motorways in 3 rd , it still stayed on, on the day we came home started up and no light??

• 9 months later...

I have just had this code come up on my 2009 170CR VRS.

It came on as soon as I pulled out of a petrol station after filling up with the expensive diesel for the first ever time.

Assumed it was an emissions warning until getting it plugged in to find it was the P261A (09754) code.

Cleared the code, but after an hour and about 3-4 engine restarts the light came back.

I will check the connections later if I can reach (I have no ramps). Even if it's a new pump I'm not bothered as long as I know what it is and can deal with it.

These pumps seem to fail a lot if you look around the VW / Seat forums.

• 1 year later...