£1 per litre

James I

Diesel is now 99.7 here and it's about 16p a litre cheaper than vpower I'm really thinking of just putting asda in this golf now, however it's like changing your lottery numbers after years of choosing the same ones! My car is running sweet as a nut I'm just worried it would go bang if I used the inferior supermarket stuff

Like 158.9 pence, 109.9 pence, 109.7 pence a litre, have you ever seen £1.99 a litre?

99.9 or 99.7 pence is common, what i have never seen is 99.99 pence a litre.

Don't think the pumps can display 2 decimal places in the price display.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Tesco is 99.9 for petrol and 99.7 for diesel.

I don't know why they bother with the fraction for fuel. It's not like you buy carrots for 55.7p per Kg.

Tesco is 99.9 for petrol and 99.7 for diesel.

I don't know why they bother with the fraction for fuel. It's not like you buy carrots for 55.7p per Kg.

Purely so they say diesel is cheaper than petrol.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I just had a look at my home heating oil on the gauge in the kitchen :( still just over half a tank 6/10th's. I have been using it as much as I want recently in a bid to try and burn as much as I can in order to fill her up while the prices are down. But in a year bar a couple of weeks I have only used 300 litres :( Damn the efficient boiler and wall/loft insulation stuff! :( Last year it dropped at this time too so I was in the same boat and only managed to get 450 litres by brimming the tank and filling some barrels.

Reminds me of my dear old Gran who used to knit faster in case her wool ran out!

Diesel is now 99.7 here and it's about 16p a litre cheaper than vpower I'm really thinking of just putting asda in this golf now, however it's like changing your lottery numbers after years of choosing the same ones! My car is running sweet as a nut I'm just worried it would go bang if I used the inferior supermarket stuff

I was concerned about using supermarket diesel at first too. I've been using mainly ASDA and occasionally Shell for the past year now and I can't tell the difference between them. This is in a 1.9 TDI (PD105) Octavia. 

Oh crude nearly dropped under $30 a barrel yesterday.    Sadly the GBP also also nearly touched $1.44 per GB pound.  

Customs import exchange rate is currently pegged at 1.50 for January but if the market exchange rate for USD/GBP moves over 5%, ie falls below 1.425, we will get a mid month exchange rate and all imports in USD, ie 85% of what the UK buys, oil and most other goods, will be calculated at the new sub 1.425 USD/GBP rate making all those imports more expensive on the High Street.  This feeds into inflation and then eventually interest rate rises of course. So if we do see $25 or even $20 a barrel oil then we could see another few pence off the price of diesel and petrol but as siad will Gideon Osborne be tempted to add a couple of pence back on to close the £75B per annum gap in his fiscal budget to tackle the rising UK debt or not be the one to push it back above £1 a litre again and look the hero whatever the overall cost.  As mentioned I reckon government should add a few pence to the excise duty but lower the VAT back down to 15% or even put it at 5% as 89p a litre diesel or petrol sounds even better.  

Edited by lol-lol

Guys how many liters of diesel you could buy now In UK for average salary?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G925F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Well average salary in the UK is around £27K or around 40k Euros (gross).

Diesel is around 1.35/1.40 Euros per litre depending why you buy it.

With normal taxes I suspect the average wage earner brings home around 2500 euros per month so in theory an average salary could buy around 1800 litres of diesel or petrol per month.

In reality the average UK motorist only does around 7k miles, ie 12k kilometers per year so say 1k kilometers per month so actually only buys less than 100 litre per month ie £100 or 135 Euros.

Then there are non-average people like me who do about 60k kilometers per year but our employers supply fuel cards and it gets all complicated.

Petrol has usually been slightly cheaper than diesel.  Excise tax is 58 pence per litre and VAT/GST at 20% for those who cannot claim it back.

It is those on minimum wage who have to travel who are very affected.  To fill a tank for those on minimum wage, currently about £6/8 Euros, can take a whole day's pay !! 

Maybe forget all that Average wage stuff.

In the UK a gallon of petrol has for a few decades been around the Hourly Rate of a low paid worker, 

and it could take near 1 days net pay to fill the 'Average Tank of an average family car'.

So around £5 a gallon is quite good for individuals and families that do not earn much.

As for those that have Average Wages and higher and travel as part of their work, they are laughing,

until those average to high paid jobs go, like if they are in the UK Oil & Gas Industry.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Just to compare ..average month salary in Poland Is ca 600 pounds and price for diesel Is similar to UK. .so please don't complain :-)))

Edited by andyEm
  • Like 1

'Averages' are something for Politicians and Accountants and Tax Advisers to work with, because Averages are no real indication of very much.

It takes lots & lots of very low incomes to get an average income as low as that in Poland or the UK when there are so many High Earners.

Just to compare ..average month salary in Poland Is ca 600 pounds and price for diesel Is similar to UK. .so please don't complain :-)))

Quite right.

The policy that stinks here and in most eu countries is that vat/gst has gone up quite a bit whilst other taxes like fuel excise duty and corporation tax gone down. Not fair.

'Averages' are something for Politicians and Accountants and Tax Advisers to work with, because Averages are no real indication of very much.

It takes lots & lots of very low incomes to get an average income as low as that in Poland or the UK when there are so many High Earners.

What is your definition of a "High Earner", and how many of them are there in the UK ?

Well they are higher than average earners, and by how much others must decide, is twice Average high.

But given how many earn Half the Average or less, there are lots earning well above the average if it is £27,000.

Or many earning 3 times, 4 times even 10 times more than Average, but as we know £270,000 per annum is not unusual these days as an Annual income, even 2.7 Million Pounds.

(But some of that might be Taxed differently, not Salary, 'Bonuses'.

It is all a matter of where or what you want to count as 'Earnings' from employment or just Income.

You were born to be a politician George - never answer the question asked do you, just type random waffle whilst avoiding the subject.

So, to repeat the question - What is YOUR definition of a "High Earner"

Post # 595.  

You never asked for Pounds shillings and pence, you asked for "the definition of a High Earner".

'How many are there?'   How the fudge should i know, the HMRC do not seem to know. 

We know how many Benefit Claimants there are if we check the figures, and we know how many receive Housing Benefits. But then many of them Earn or have incomes well above 'The £27,000 Average Wage.'

You are perfect as a Politician, ask a question and want an answer for something you never asked.

Well first i do not consider many that earn lots as 'Earning' but just receiving.  But that is yet again something else you might want to debate with someone that can be ar53d.

I have no interest in really what a high earner is, i know plenty that work 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off on the rigs and £100,000 a year is not High enough for what they do, and then they are Taxed highly.

Someone that does 39 hours a week and still does not get £13,500 Net while the Family Man / Woman next to them doing the same job 

but has children and a partner getting their income made up to £27,000 think those are high earners.

*The UK Government still gives Tax Credits & Tax Benefits, Child Benefits etc to those that are Higher Tax Payers (Lower NI Payers).*

Benefits and allowances and tax credits to the 'Hard Working Families',

then including Benefits & Allowances to Retired or not retired meaning them getting Winter Payment money, free TV licences etc without Means Testing,means the UK's idea of 'Average' or High Earners is not fit for purpose. IMO.

Higher earner in the UK definition.  Hmm. ONS figures on Standard Deviations.  At least one SD above mean, median or mode average might I suggest?

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/about-ons/business-transparency/freedom-of-information/what-can-i-request/previous-foi-requests/labour-market/annual-salaries-mean-and-standard-deviation/index.html

Government might define as someone they expect to pay higher rate of tax could be another definition so that would be around £43K by some quick mental maths.

Both methods reckon come up with fairly close figures but HMRC figures like quite different but as George says the Gov takes, via NI and PAYE, and then gives back thru credits etc.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax

Cons pushing min wage up is a decent thing to do, surprised me that one but plenty of employers bleating and looking for ways to avoid/evade probably.  

@ George.

You made a post which contained the following statement.

which when questioned on it you responded:

a ) I have no interest in really what a high earner is,

b ) Well first i do not consider many that earn lots as 'Earning' but just receiving

c ) 'How many are there?'   How the fudge should i know

In other words you posted a statement which you are unable to verify, in response to a post in which you apparently have no interest.

All I asked was for YOUR definition of a High Earner - not someone in the varying positions you quoted.

Yet more evasive waffle.

Goes some way to explaining your ludicrously high post(wh~re) count.

Edited by BJM