Decarbonise your Engine with Tap Water

w4rn3r

I've been looking this up over the last 2 oe 3 days and it can be done for both diesel and petrol engines(different method for petrol engines), it looks pretty straight forward and there are quite a few how to video's on youtube showing how its done.

Has anyone on here cleaned the carbon out of thier engine using this method and if so what result did you get, as my son and i are going to try it tomorrow to hopefully shift the gunk from the EGR pipes and the manifold, apparently it also gives your turbo a steam clean

below is the link for doing it to a diesel engine

Deisel

Published on Dec 22, 2013How to clean carbon from the inside of your engine with just tap water. This method has been known to fix emissions, rough Idle, increase fuel economy and generally make your car faster.

For entertainment purposes only.

This is what is said under the video so I would say it's a joke video

Published on Dec 22, 2013How to clean carbon from the inside of your engine with just tap water. This method has been known to fix emissions, rough Idle, increase fuel economy and generally make your car faster.

For entertainment purposes only.

This is what is said under the video so I would say it's a joke video

eric the car guy is quite reputable and he has a how to vid doing this

we are still gonna do it today i'll try and video it on my phone, we are also gonna remove the EGR valve clean it and replace that first...wish us luck guys

done it and it worked fine,i video'd it chucked **** loads of smoke out, got pulled by coppers after cleaning the EGR valve and replacing it cos of carbon being chucked out lol, we explained what we were doing and they said get yourselves on the motorway and give it good blast lol.

below are pics before and after of the EGR valve and the pipe that leads down to the manifold from it, caked thick with carbon

WP_20141101_14_40_57_Pro_zps15c759e6.jpg

WP_20141101_14_41_08_Pro_zpsc0de72ad.jpg

WP_20141101_14_41_20_Pro_zps5536f7fa.jpg

WP_20141101_14_41_39_Pro_zps3b3d334d.jpg

WP_20141101_14_41_45_Pro_zpsc4ed60fe.jpg

after cleaning

WP_20141101_15_24_36_Pro_zpsc0754428.jpg

WP_20141101_15_24_45_Pro_zpsb42b7beb.jpg

WP_20141101_15_25_04_Pro_zps77c719c7.jpg

WP_20141101_15_25_08_Pro_zps0bb1ca83.jpg

so we refitted the EGR valve an proceeded to warm the engine for the tap water decarbonizing by driving around the estate(thats where the police stopped us) we got back to his house and removed one end of the rubber hose that leads to the EGR valve and filled a spray bottle with around a pint of tap water my son put his foot on the gas to get it upto 2.5k revs, below is a vid of me spraying the water into the EGR hose until  the water is all gone, there was loads and loads of white smoke with spurts of black smoke. The engine struggled a few times but i just held back a couple of sprays and it caught back up.

its took a bit of time to render the vid and upload it to youtube, cos photobucket just wouldnt process it for some reason

http://youtu.be/mL7RWPtbX8A

RESULT

My son says the car pulls better, and gets to higher speeds in each gear than it used to, im not sure what the mpg was before so i cant comment on that, so overall a positive result and a really easy fix for sluggish performance

What's wrong with a good old fashioned terraclean? ;)

whats that? heh

EDIT: just googled it....tap water is cheaper hee hee

Edited by w4rn3r
  • Like 1

Is that the inlet manifold?  What a mess

that was the EGR valve, with the butterfly flap in it, yeah i couldnt shift the carbon at first, used a full can of carb cleaner on it to break it down as well as 2 cheap toothbrushes from poundland, worth it though to get into the harder places

THis pic isnt my sons engine its a generic one off google the EGR valve and other main parts are in the same place

enginepic2_zps4bb960ed.png

Edited by w4rn3r

Only a similar idea to using stuff like redex but am suprised that engine was still running spraying that much water into intake,

Think i would be more inclined to use carb cleaner from an aerosol can rather than water

Only a similar idea to using stuff like redex but am suprised that engine was still running spraying that much water into intake,

Think i would be more inclined to use carb cleaner from an aerosol can rather than water

I think the purpose of using water is the fact your engine is at running temp so as soon as it gets sucked in the water becomes steam and breaks the carbon deposits up and is eventualy spat out the exhaust with the carbon waste, and trust me there was plenty of carbon deposits on the road and leafs under the car