Skoda Octavia 3 1.4 TSI 140 HP whining noise at start engine

Yes, you can say that. I, being a patient guy , I’ll wait until I return from well site and the first day off , I 'm going to solve the problem. The car is new and that sound doesn’t fit with it.

For me seems that it sound like that no matter what. Engine cold or hot. Was -6 degrees outside last week and made same noise. Now its like pluss 10 and still does that. Im already used to it. Don't bother me so much. 

• Like 1

I think that the new generation EA211 engine can appear to be very noisy generally.

Although mine does not make the sound being discussed in this thread, and which appears to emanate from the starter, my engine does sound like a box of spanners when running. This was covered by another thread a while ago when some people (including me) were panicking about strange noises that the engine made.

Don’t get me wrong the engine is smooth, runs sweet, pulls nicely but has made strange noises since day 1. Its now done over 3,000 miles without a problem and not used any oil (touch wood!). A VCDS scan yesterday revealed no faults apart from the battery being drained intermittently, I think by my webcam running when it should not.

In my experience engine noise is only really obtrusive when you open the bonnet. In the cabin and standing outside of the vehicle (with the bonnet closed) it is quiet.

In my case the odd noises are almost certainly caused by the injectors and APR have a YouTube video which demonstrates the unbelievable racket they can make.

And this (at long last) brings me to the point. The EA211 engine is mostly diecast aluminium. I believe diecast aluminium has the ability to amplify sound rather than deaden it as was the case with older generation VAG TSI engines which did not use this casting method extensively. Differences in manufacturing tolerances might result in different vehicles displaying different acoustic characteristics.

Personally I wouldn’t panic about this just yet. A trip to the dealer might be opportune but I’m not so sure they will have an easy answer to this.

But I will be interested in learning how it turns out.

If will remain just this noise and the noise that comes from the fuel tank, I should be the happiest man. I realize, reading other forums that there are more serious and expensive problems. I think I give too much importance to this problem and is not the case, I should resign, for the moment. The day I resolve this, I'll post it.

.... I think most people who work Skoda service use phrases like : „it's normal to do so”, „technological sound” , „all do so” . It's true? All do it? From what I see on the forums, there aren’t all owners of 1.4 TSI 140 HP. I think rather it's laziness or professional incompetence.

Garages all over the world talk like that.

+1 with the noise. Gone when warmed up. First service coming up next month and I'm probably going to mention this issue as well. Would be fine if everyone with 1.4TSI had this but since some are reporting not having it I don't know what to think of it.

I did mention the starter earlier, but I think someone also suggested a fuel pump, which is a possibility as well. Because the engine is both port and direct injected, i think it would have a low-pressure pump in the fuel tank and a second high-pressure pump in the engine bay for the direct injectors. What you could be hearing is the high-pressure pump filling the lines after start-up. The sound goes away because the direct injectors are only used under heavy load or high rpm when the engine noise is masking it.

I did mention the starter earlier, but I think someone also suggested a fuel pump, which is a possibility as well. Because the engine is both port and direct injected, i think it would have a low-pressure pump in the fuel tank and a second high-pressure pump in the engine bay for the direct injectors. What you could be hearing is the high-pressure pump filling the lines after start-up. The sound goes away because the direct injectors are only used under heavy load or high rpm when the engine noise is masking it.

i wanted to mention that an eng. in my local skoda dealer in Egypt told me that it really have 2 pumps as you said exactly , 1 low pressure & 1 very high pressure.

"The EA211 engines are a completely new four-cylinder turbocharged and direct-injection TSI engines". This evening I started the engine, the noise was present, I stopped the engine and started again. The sound was shorter and not so loud. 

It looks like I was mistaken. The EA211 is just direct injected, but it would still require a high-pressure pump (2500psi, I think) which could make some noise at those pressures, and the pump would likely be near the fuel rail...

Or it could be a starter.

The pump might only make significant noise on start up because that's when it is pressurizing the system. Once up to pressure, it doesn't need to work so hard. I'm not saying the pump is definitely the cause, just that it could be.

One way to tell is to use a length of rubber hose (vacuum line) like a stethoscope. Place one end on the starter and pump, the other in your ear and have a friend start the car (just stay clear or moving parts, including the car). That should reveal the noise pretty quick.

I have a request for you. Does anyone have a picture, a photo or a drawing where you can see where is the fuel pump positioned at 1.4 tsi 140 hp engine. I don’t believe that is an workshop manual published for this engine. I didn’t found something like that. Thanks in advance.

I was not aware of anything like it in my 3000 mile old 1.4tsi manual but I have never opened the windows when I start the car.

So I opened the bonnet and the window, and started the car in the garage and there it was.

Not very loud, and not very long, but the after start whine was definitely there. To be honest I have heard starter motors on other cars just like it so I am not worried about it.

I now realise the fuel injectors are quite loud too, clacking away in there

Think I'll close the bonnet and not do that again.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

I was not aware of anything like it in my 3000 mile old 1.4tsi manual but I have never opened the windows when I start the car.

So I opened the bonnet and the window, and started the car in the garage and there it was.

Not very loud, and not very long, but the after start whine was definitely there. To be honest I have heard starter motors on other cars just like it so I am not worried about it.

I now realise the fuel injectors are quite loud too, clacking away in there

Think I'll close the bonnet and not do that again.

+1. Opening the bonnet and listening to the racket of the injectors is not good for your peace of mind. Sounds like it needs a head overhaul. Like you I just shut the bonnet.

Yes, direct injection makes a hell of a racket. It could be some cars are louder than others, or it could be that some perceive the volume louder.

I'll let you know if I think my car is loud in about two weeks. I've previously had a mk2 rs, so have another modern DI engine to compare it to. I'm sure others here have as well though...

Edited by GTR27