Trolly jack lifting points on estate

Smudgers

Any ideas where the safest place to lift car with trolly jack may be ? - normal jacking points not looking suitable due to welded seam.

About to change to winter wheels - last year garage did it for me :$$$: :$$$:

So thought I'd do it myself this year.

Also any idea as to torque settings for 16" Alloys wheel bolts?

Thanks

Smudger

Interesting, my std jacking points have a body work seam that the car jack fits around and does not actually touch when jacking. By using a trolly jack the weight of the car will be through this welded seam and I would guess the underseal and anti corrosion coatings would be damages as a result + I guess I could deform the seam.

Or am I just being over cautious ?

I wounder if the cars body has changed - mines an 2013 MY is yours earlier / later ?

yes it does jack up on the seems. I have not had any damage as i put a piece of foam between the jack and the car to save damage to the underseal. The foam flattens under the weight of the jack so doesn't slip. Mind you I always place axle stands near by as a belt and braces approach. I reguarly do this to clean the backs of the wheels.  Mines a 2012.

Lets be honest your just as likely to damage the protection with the standard jack.

• Like 1

If you jack up on the sill seams only then they will bend.

There are two dedicated jacking points on each sill, front and rear, marked with arrows/indents.

At these points behind the sill seam is a section of reinforcement designed to aid the use of a trolley jack.

Take a look at the standard scissor jack (if supplied), you'll notice that the 'U' shaped head is actually offset, higher at the backside - so it meets the reinforced section first.

The hockey puck squashes around the soft seam and protects it, as does a small piece of wood behind the seam. This ensures that the reinforced section takes the weight, not the sill seam.

• Like 1

Silver1011,

Thanks I did indeed do as you suggested BUT although I searched on hands and knees AND with a torch try as I might I was unable to locate the arrows/indents on the sills - I don't know why may car does not have them ? Looked on both sides but nothing :S

In the end took a guess based on where I thought the supplied car jack would fit and jacked it up with a short plank of wood to spread the load.

• 10 months later...

How about axle stands, where can you put them? If I'm jacking the car at the designated point, I would need another place to put the axle stand, one in the front and one in the rear. I want to take off both front and rear wheel at the same time to paint the calipers.