Columbus text message help

Hi,

I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S3. Worked very well with Columbus unit in my 2011 Superb. I could send and receive text messages when my phone was connected via blue tooth premium. I could read/create msgs using columbus. I recently bought Samsung S5 and although it works perfectly again in premium mode, I cannot send or receive text messages via Columbus, nor can I send them manually on my phone when it is connected to Columbus. columbus won't even let me in to the messaging area as it is greyed out. Can anyone help me with this?

It's not the Columbus that is the problem but the Bluetooth module for the phone.

I'm not familiar with the Samsung phones, but suspect that they are using different communication protocols.

For text messages I believe you need to be using rSAP protocol (not HFP) and a premium BT module (which you would have unless you've changed it from when it was working).

Samsungs work out of the box with RSAP, but my suspicion is that since you changed phones and re connected, you have connected in the non-premium HFP mode.  If you go into the maxidot under phone mode there should be a choice of a premium or handsfree connection, choose the former.  I think I am right as you don't have the SMS menu on the Columbus in HFP mode, just as you describe?  

I am not condoning sending text messages via the headunit on the go though (unless you have a passenger)...

I am not condoning sending text messages via the headunit on the go though (unless you have a passenger)...

Personally I think you would have to be a certifiable lunatic to try and text while driving (not that I am suggesting you would do this.. :) )

I got a 2014 Yeti with the Bolero (I think) audio as a courtesy car today and when I connected my phone to stream music it showed track names and allowed me to skip tracks from the steering wheel controls. If I could get a bluetooth module that definitely did this with a 2011 Columbus (Currently I get music but can only control from the phone)  I'd be very happy indeed. My phone doesn't support RSAP, so texting isn't an option AFAIK. I think some versions of the Columbus can convert texts to speech, which would be usable while driving.

Both of these depend on the module, and with the latter also the phone (in that it requires connection by RSAP to receive the texts to be read out).

In a 2011 Superb, I suspect the former should be no problem with the right module, which assuming you have maxidot, is the 3C8 035 730 D unit.

The rsap renders my s4 useless, the sms memory on the car then fills up and won't accept any more until i delete them one by one. Then when i look on the phone when it's disconnected there are no txts on the phone grrr. So I've turned it off premium and use the aux lead for tunes

I found a workaround for the texts not showing on the phone after disconnecting.

It does require a modified phone and the rsap app though. But it has an add-on that copies the texts onto the phone when they are received.

Phil

Text messages which are received while the phone is connected to Columbus often end up on the SIM card memory for texts rather than the phone handset memory, so should still be accessible.