1.8 TSI secondhand Octavia - purchase advice

I'm currently considering a FL manual 1.8 TSI Elegance, early 2010 lets say on 50K miles. The perfomance/efficiency balance looks perfect for my needs and the cars are in budget, I do 15K miles p.a. and would hope to keep for ~5 years without any major failures.

However, I'm aware there are some known issues with the engine, so I'm keen to hear any advice you may have to offer. If it is 'steer clear', then I still want to hear it!

To mitigate against some of the risks, my current thoughts are that I should only buy from a franchised dealer with FSSH to get the 1 year Skoda warranty, get them to replace the chain tensioner before purchase and also perform a compression test to check the state of the piston rings. Keep it serviced by Skoda to keep up any goodwill balance and perform 5-6K mile additional oil changes myself (I'm inclined to for most vehicles anyhow).

Would I still be pushing my luck? Has anyone taken a 1.8tsi to/beyond 100K miles and has a positive story to tell?!

And then engine aside, are there any other weak points I should pay particular attention to on a secondhand Octavia mkII?

Edited by simion_levi

Early 2010 1.8TSI's as you said - had a lot of problems, you would need to check paperwork for proof of work done to pistons/piston rings, chain itself and chain tensioners replacement (there were new models, recall was never actioned in UK unless engine was already open) etc. I'd personally steer clear unless I had a chance to go through service history, it was full VAG service history and all the typically failing parts were already replaced. I don't think any garage would replace all of that for you prior to sale as it's nearly 4 grand job. Extended warranties in Skoda world are not with Skoda themselves but third party, they are very hard to convince to pay for certain diagnostics necessary for Skoda to perform some of the work above and often consider piston ring wear as "pre-existing" issue. It's a battle, in my experience. 

Edited by v0n

I've got a 2007 1.8tsi m6.  It's done 145,000km.

It's had 2 non-scheduled maintenance interactions (IOW it broke down). 

At <10,000km the HPFP regulator failed which put the car into self-preserving limp-home mode.  that was repaired under warranty.

At around 95,000km the water pump failed.  that was fairly expensive as my mechanic insisted on changing the housing as well as the water pump as he reckons the plastics warp / get brittle.

It's had a Bluefin remap since 50,000km.  98ron fuel use averages 6.7L/100km but 90% of my driving is on motorways averaging 90kph. It uses about 200ml of oil every 7500km.

For the first 60,000km it was serviced every 15,000km with 504/507 and after that every 7500km alteranting between 504 at the mechs & 502 at home (I had oil sitting on the shelf that I had no other use for).

It does suffer a bit of oil/carbon build-up in the inlet (like most DI engines) & every now & then I give it a chemical clean to clean it up a bit.

I haven't had any of the timing chain or compression issues that others have had but a mate with the same engine & less mileage lost compression in #3 & #4 earlier this year - I have no idea why.  They pulled the old engine out & fitted a 2nd hand 1.8tsi from the wreckers. (AUD 2500 fitted).

It's an incredibly smooth engine.  Runs like a top.  I'd buy another.

• Like 1

Not sure id suggest the engine had 'lots of problems' - the only one id worry about would be a tensioner failure but that could be replaced for the newer part upon purchase. If its a franchised dealer you could get them to include this change of parts as part of the deal.

Mine doesn't use any oil between oil changes (although in fairness they are done every 5,000 miles) and is smooth and refined still with just over 40k on the clock now. Its also been running well over 300bhp and 300lb/ft for the last 18 months and its as solid as the proverbial rock. Great engines, prefer them to the 2 litre in the VRS I had previously. :)

My 2009 Octavia 1.8 TSI has just done 101,000 miles and given  42.3 mpg last 5,000 miles!

Believe too much hype  and you would not ever get out of bed in the morning

IMHO change the oil every 6k and/or get a warranty if it bothers you 

these forums are full of negativity and bad luck stories and this engine gets a bad press

However not as much as the constant flow  DPF and DMF woe

Mine has run without issue last 2 years  with a 60hp+  Blue fin remap, the car is very fast and unassuming

Uses 250mls of oil per 3k 

Paid  just 5k back in Feb 2012 best 5 grand I ever spent,

Some on here lose that the moment they drive their new car out of the showroom, and yet criticise this engine

Good luck and dip your toe

Edited by PC1212

My 2009 Octavia 1.8 TSI has just done 101,000 miles and given  42.3 mpg last 5,000 miles!

Believe too much hype  and you would not ever get out of bed in the morning

Just because it's called 1.8TSI it doesn't mean it's the same engine unit. Yours is from 2009, pre FL, so 1.8TSI BZB, while OP is talking specifically about early 2010 FL with 1.8TSI CDAA, which is considered the most failure prone engine in modern VAG history.

The engine wrecking faults with that unit are related to design flaws and lack of TPI's and recalls to mend those design flaws being actioned in UK. It really is not question of luck or "misery needs company" factor or "some units with defects" draw and yes servicing, driving conditions (less load or less city driving) may prolong the inevitable, but in the end, every car with engine from that series that didn't have those few, relatively cheap parts responsible for failures replaced under recall or warranty at some point in the past, leaves the owner standing with one foot on a land mine - no exceptions - delay and blast radius might be different, but sooner or later...   

The CDAA 1.8TSI engine was fitted to the Octavia II from 11/08. PC1212 has always been clear in his posts that his engine has a timing chain and not a cambelt.

• Like 1

Blimey vOm

Talk about trying to put a downer on things! The list at the top of the thread for Engine failures would be a lot longer if it was as bad as you make out. Plus this is the same engine used across the VAG group. There would be a lot more noise and watch dog investigations if it was as big issue as you make out. 

Plus no one with have had those parts replaced under warranty or recall as neither exist for the chain tensioner. 

• Like 1