New Car Protection

tasmanuk

Hello all.

This may sound like a strange question to post in this forum but I am genuinely curious. Basically I will be (hopefully) getting my new vRS in December. Of course the dealer has offered me the Lifeshine product. On my current Elegance it came for free but I am being charged for it this time (£449 including GAP). Now I have done my research and I know that I would be better off spending my money on a proper car detailer. My question is, do I even need paint protection on a new car? The reason I ask is that I will only be keeping the car for 3 years and then I will chop it in for another one. I will admit that I am not obsessive about cleaning my car (tho the inside is spotless). I live in the country and drive on small country lanes a lot which in winter get quite muddy so the car will get dirty constantly. It might get washed once a week until it is a couple of months old but then the novelty wears off and it is a bit more infrequent. I never use automatic car washes or those little businesses that pop up everywhere. That being said, I do take pride in showing off a nice shiny car when I do put in the effort to wash and polish it.

While I know the new car detailing is only about £400, it is another expense. So while it may appear incredibly sacrilegious to be asking this question in a car detailing forum, I am hoping I can get some advice as to whether is is really worth doing.

Thankyou

Do not buy GAP or fancy car cleaning at the dealer.

It can be done cheaper afterwards or direct before new car collection without paying the dealer's margin on top.

I'm pretty sure even some of the top detailers can do New Car Protection cheaper than the life shine kit.

I'm pretty sure even some of the top detailers can do New Car Protection cheaper than the life shine kit.

The lifeshine kit is some product they throw over the car and buff off.

You can tell as usually it's still on the car on places, as the person doing it is on minimum wage and doesn't care.

• Like 1

The lifeshine kit is some product they throw over the car and buff off.

You can tell as usually it's still on the car on places, as the person doing it is on minimum wage and doesn't care.

:thumbup: a lot of it is done by agency Lithuanians and other foreigners on minimum wage around here, having seen how they do them at the PDI centre I'd want to get my brand new car out of their reach asap.

Just as an alternative:

Spend £400 on Detailing Kit for your own use. :)

A Dual Action polisher and a big bag of detailing products - happy to provide a list for a starter kit.

Then with a bit of reading up, you can polish and protect the car yourself when you get it and continue to maintain it as you see fit.

If you get bored and sack off the routine, you'll probably get most of your money back on the Polisher if you sell it - go out for a curry and a few beers with the procedes.

• Like 3

Just as an alternative:

Spend £400 on Detailing Kit for your own use. :)

A Dual Action polisher and a big bag of detailing products - happy to provide a list for a starter kit.

Then with a bit of reading up, you can polish and protect the car yourself when you get it and continue to maintain it as you see fit.

If you get bored and sack off the routine, you'll probably get most of your money back on the Polisher if you sell it - go out for a curry and a few beers with the procedes.

What he said ^^^. Apparently I couldn't polish a turd but I did and I'm driving it every day
  • Like 2

Just as an alternative:

Spend £400 on Detailing Kit for your own use. :)

If you get bored and sack off the routine, you'll probably get most of your money back on the Polisher if you sell it - go out for a curry and a few beers with the proceeds.

+1 for this approach! Sounds like fun to me....  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I would put some protection on there buddy. It will make cleaning the car easier, therefore causing less scratching when you clean the car. Everyone scratches a car when they clean it, but the cleaner you get the car before you touch it with a wash mitt, the less you scratch it. IMHO, better to spend a little bit of cash on a pressure washer, a snow foam lance and snow foam and use a decent durable wax. That will get the car much cleaner before you touch it with a wash mitt and therefore keep your car looking better than any protection, the wash routine is extremely important

You can get a decent durable liquid wax that is very inexpensive and quick to apply. I use sonax brilliant wax 1.

• Like 1

As mark said , buy the equipment yourself and have fun with it.

Tbh you will probably do a better job than the dealer on your first attempt and I don't rate life shine at all, much much better out there at half the price.