Major failures with TSI Fabia VRS?

Warlord

Just from reading the posts on this thread I would be highly sceptical that MadMonk's car did indeed pass the consumption test, the figure quoted against the actual evidence suggests to me a properly conducted oil consumption test would result in a fail.

• Like 1

i asked my dealer that carried this out for the details and this is what i received back ( they did 3 tests prior to this but somehow they 'mixed up the results'  or ' sorry it was a different tech that did it so we need to do it again' excuses)

finally i did the correct mileage with the same tech doing the work, results are

start mileage 38890 km

end mileage 39905 km

start oil quantity 2528g

end oil quantity 2105g

Ascertained oil consumption 0.49 litres/1000km

i put 200ml in last night to get me home (all i had left), just dropped kids off and got her upto normal temp, left it 5 mins and checked, bone dry so ive put 800 ml in and its half way up the stick, warm engine oil, cold bottle oil so its as much as i dare put in

I took this up with skoda UK as for me its too close to call it a pass but all they say is its passed there's nothing we can do about it

considering ive had a breather mod, a replacement engine and then new spark plugs at 20k miles you'd think they would realise there's a duffer here but oh no, its 0.49 so that's a pass, 0.51 would be a fail but your not that bad. there's no margin of error allowed, seemingly their test is 100% accurate so i am where i am

love the car but pished off with Skoda and their attitude to paying customers with an engine that's clearly not working as designed

i know i might sound negative but i really do love the car otherwise id have torched it years ago but it will have to go soon, cant sell it private as id feel bad for the buyer but i will px it some time soon and let the garage carry the can (oil can even if youll pardon the pun) as im not even able to do 1 long journey without getting the oil can flashing at me

ive just thought about the car, dont want to put anybody off one

i see this car like a little puppy, all gooey eyed and waggy tail, gives you those puppy eyes and you melt then when your backs turned it chews the sofa but you cant be mad at it coz it rolls on its belly and gives you them eyes, oh the little bugger that it is

thats how i see this car ;)

Edited by the mad monk

So they drained out 2.95 litres oil before testing,   and after testing 2.45 litres

the difference being 428 grams.  **0.5 litres)

(856 divided by 2 = 428 grams)

(1 litre weighs 856 grams.)

3.6 litres weighs 3081.6 grams.

and that was over 1015 km.  ** 630 miles**

*So this test gave a result that they expect, which is rather different from the one they usually get of 0.3 litres per 1000 km,

which still means its using too much oil.*

It does not matter if they say it may use 0.5 litres per 1000 km  (621 miles)

That test was a fail.

Breather Modification & ECU modification or not, the engine requires replacing.

You need to get on to your Skoda UK Customer Services Handler and get a Manager, Tom Chadwick, or someone,

they are taking the pith.

PS.

?

Does your car read in KM.  or miles.   No idea why they do not write a complete report and suitable for UK Customers.

The Technicians report is suspect on the Weights, 

and might just have been written from a set of Weights taken from some other source.

But regardless,

they are no guide to how much oil that engines uses, other than if the draining and weighing was accurate.

over 630 miles it used 0.5 litres and that is unacceptable,

regardless of what an Owners manual says for every engine.

3 & 4 cylinder, petrol and diesels, from 59 ps - 180 ps.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 3

For anyone else reading this.

0.5 litres used in 621 miles (1000 km)  is not OK,

& nothing Skoda, VW, Audi or Seat can do is a nonsense..  In fact they lie.

**0.5 litres per 1000 km is a figure in the Owners Manual for all engines which they give for possible consumption.**

See.

Page 168 Fabia Owners Manual.

" It is normal for the engine to consume oil.

The oil consumption may be as much as 0.5 l/1 000km depending on your style of driving and the conditions under which you 

operate your vehicle.

The oil consumption may be slightly higher during the first 5,000 km."

Driving your car to work and with your children in, in the UK in the NSL is never going to be the type of Use or Way you drive 

that May use 0.5 Litres and means they are covered by some statement in an Owners Manual..

It is not crossing some High Mountain Passes in Summer towing a trailer or such.

Then 0.5 litres per 1000 km might be acceptable.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Yes, 0.49L sounds suspiciously close to the threshold. I was once tested at 0.4L/1000km (also just below the magical 0.5L barrier), but consistently used around 0.25L both before AND after the test. I concluded the amount quoted was a shut-the-punter-up figure used to send me away "happy" that there was nothing wrong with the car.

The thing was, I wasn't asking them to fix anything - just pay for the oil I was using. I moaned about the amount at my last service, and the new service advisor volunteered to try the new breather mod without prompting.

LatestChanges005_zps2983be97.jpg

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 1

cant remember how my breather mod pipe looked, but you use the word 'new' so does that mean is breather pipe mod version 2 or do you mean new to you?

when mine was done i just took it as gospel that it was, i never looked at the engine for anything even when topping up as i wouldn't know what was different anyway

That is the one and only example of that Modification i have seen done.  The one on OzFabia's car in Australia.

& i like the look of it.

(That is different from the Mods done in the UK up to early 2014)

If a car is using 0.49 litres of oil in the UK on 99 ron petrol while driving in a total normal driving manner,

what hope has it of being within VW's accepted limit if being driven in less than ideal and easy use.

Many UK engines have been replaced when test showed 0.3 litres used in 621 miles.

Who is going to accept putting in 1 litre of Oil every 3 tank fill ups.

1,200 miles or less. ?

(Well some have, then sold the car, and the new owner is landed with the Faulty Engine.)

8- 9 litres required to be put in between annual services,  is something that Skoda, VW, Audi & Seat knows is unacceptable.

It is why they discontinued building New CAVE engines, as were built 2009-2012,

and in 2012 came out with the CTHE engine.

& the replacement CAVE engines fitted after 2012 require Upgraded Internal components.

Edited by goneoffSKi

cant remember how my breather mod pipe looked, but you use the word 'new' so does that mean is breather pipe mod version 2 or do you mean new to you?

when mine was done i just took it as gospel that it was, i never looked at the engine for anything even when topping up as i wouldn't know what was different anyway

Yes, mod version 2. Early days, but usage seems to be more like 1L/5000km thus far. This is improved, though still far from ideal. I'm willing to live with it, however.

• Like 1

Warlord

Don't let the negative comments put you off this little car. You will sure regret it!

In my opinion, there is not a better performance car on the road today for the money.

If I was in your shoes, I would buy brand new from a main skoda dealer with an extended warranty as mentioned by others on here. Sounds like good advice to me.

And then you are covered.

Regarding remapping, I would not even consider it.

It has always been my belief that a car engine has been designed to run in a certain way with many engineers brains behind the thinking. Remapping or interfering with it, is only going to cause trouble in the long run.

After all, if you wanted a faster car, why not buy a faster one in the first place, makes no sense to me?!

The Skoda fabia vRS, and I'm on my second one, is a truly brilliant car and continually puts a smile on your face.

Honestly, you should buy one.

As far as Negative comments.

I think there is forewarning to a buyer in 2014 of 1 of the 1,800 CAVE engine cars from 2010-2012.

Because many have had issues, some have had engines replaced, some more than once.

So great cars, great fun, great value.

But buyer beware,

Because some oil users never got fixed because Dealerships & Skoda said they were OK.

This means there are Lemons out there,

& some of these are out of the Original Manufacturers warranty.

Most CAVE are now.

Skoda even took cars back that were rejected and put them back into the Trade without repairing them.

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/skoda_fabia_vrs_s-a

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi

Former owner that had an engine fail,

and got an new engine eventually. and before that wanted to reject the car.

I wonder if the owner that got your car with a replacement engine has a good one?

Was it, ?

White vRS, Jan 2011 60 plate,

engine replaced at 37,000,  car at 55,000 November 2013

Edited by goneoffSKi

I agree it's a fun car, I really enjoy driving it but touch wood I've not had any major problems since buying a 2011 this year. If I had or have in the future then it'll be a different story. If asked would I buy one again then don't think I'd take the risk knowing what I know now and the possibility that I might have problems. That goes for all of the other models that use this engine.

Yes, mod version 2. Early days, but usage seems to be more like 1L/5000km thus far. This is improved, though still far from ideal. I'm willing to live with it, however.

cheers for that info, i might have to ask about it or show them that picture, id happily settle for anything that makes it last longer than it does now without the need to top up

Sorry,

but almost certainly your engine is beyond a Breather Pipe Modification now.

If you have a Warranty, then your engine needs replaced.

If it used 0.49 litre of Oil in 630 miles it is a matter of getting an Independent Expert Engineers report on the Engine.

Let Skoda UK know that is your intention, and if the report shows that there are Design & Manufacturing Faults you 

will be Invoicing them for the Report, Expenses and the Repair of the Engine.

Trading Standards can assist,  but you have to go through the CAB first.

??

How much oil was the original oil using before it was replaced with this one?

Or was it just Rebuilt before ?

Edited by goneoffSKi

roughly 1 litre per 1000 miles, changed the engine at 12k although no paper work, service book mention or anything. i eventually got a letter off skoda stating an engine had been changed

im not sure it isnt getting close to that amount again

I read the post in the Engine replacement thread where you said it was to be a Short Unit, then a complete unit arrived and was approved for being used.

Skoda UK really must take a bit more interest.

If they had a New like for like 'Base' CAVE engine supplied and it failed.  then they need to have it stripped and inspected.

or just get on with replacing it with a 'CAVE Upgraded unit'.

They know where the Fault lies.

Best contact Tom Chadwick or some other Customer Services Manager.

post #14

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

Edited by goneoffSKi