Major failures with TSI Fabia VRS?

Warlord

Hi There,

Thinking to get one of these next year and I wondered what people are finding as annoying problems on these cars?

Are they reliable cars?

How many cars have had clutch pack failure?

How long does a Clutch Pack last?

Serious engine failure out of warranty?

Was really happy to look at one of these, until I read a couple of really bad reviews, and now not sure whether to look at a standard gearbox?

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Worms.........Can........Open..........

I'll bite as its Friday and I've already wound down!

The DSG box isn't the worry with these cars.

There can be issues with oil consumption causing problems with the spark plugs and causing them to take a bite of the cylinders / valves.

They are great cars if you're after a small hatch with good perfromance. The only advice i can give you is to buy as new a car as you can with the most warranty.

The newer CTHE spec engine (2012 cars onwards) had some changes made to try and rectify the problems found on the early cars. CTHE failures do happen, but most seem to be ok.

• Like 4

Let's not beat around the bush there are major issues with the engine. My advice if you do want one buy from main dealer, buy extended warranty, make sure you check the oil at least every 1,000 miles, change spark plugs around every 20,000 miles and make sure you get main dealer service. If you're tuner stay away. My suggestion would be buy something else. Although my cars ok so far (most likely died tonight) all of the bad experiences of others stop you enjoying something that should be an enjoyable relationship.

• Like 1

Let's not beat around the bush there are major issues with the engine. My advice if you do want one buy from main dealer, buy extended warranty, make sure you check the oil at least every 1,000 miles, change spark plugs around every 20,000 miles and make sure you get main dealer service. If you're tuner stay away. My suggestion would be buy something else. Although my cars ok so far (most likely died tonight) all of the bad experiences of others stop you enjoying something that should be an enjoyable relationship.

Wise words.

• Like 1

DSG is not an issue, clutchs on an octy 6-speed that was used as a taxi (he's a memeber on here ) wore out at 200,000 miles.... the message said "no clutch adjustsment available" ... however he kept running it , as it was still working fine :)

the 7-speed in the fabia is reputedly more reliabble than the 6-speed in said taxi ;)

buy a CTHE engined car if you can, check with previous owner about history of oil usage or spark plug issues, or buy new, there are still a few around!

edit: doesn't mean a CAVE engined car will be bad, mine was perfect :)

• Like 1

Mine was a May 2012 build and so far it has been fine apart using some extra oil before the breather valve mode. After reading into it, the last of the CAVE motors had most of the issues sorted. Things like spark plugs and pistons had already been upgraged. I've had no recall notices (checked the website myself a few times) however the motor did need the breather valve mod (which is not required unless you are using excessive oil).

mmmRacer,  

No idea about these upgrades to CAVE engines you talk about before they were discontinued..

What were the Upgraded Pistons or Spark Plugs that they fitted?

(the only changes offered before the end of 2012 was to Fit the different Breather pipe / valve, do a Software Update,

then rebuild the engine or replace them, with another CAVE engine.)

a 2012 CAVE is no different from a 2010 or a 2011 CAVE.

Edited by goneoffSKi

i would check the oil more often than 1000 miles, im lucky to get 700 before the oil light flashes at me

the gearbox is fantastic, best thing about the car

would i buy another, nope, but if id never had one and with a long warranty and if the price was right id snap their arm off

every time i floor it it brings a smile to my little face :D

• Like 1

Obviously once you know you have an oil burner you do need to check regularly.

& you seem to have one.

When you have checked your car regularly and know it does not drink oil & does not constantly need topping up,

then maybe every 1000 miles is enough.

? How much oil do you need to put in every 700 miles to have the correct quantity in.?

because 3.6 litres down to the Warning light in 700 miles seems like you have a bad one!

My observations:

• The ride is very harsh and noisy, they are not relaxing cars on any journey, least of all a long one.
  • My car is parked on a slope and water gathers in the front doors in the rain - Skoda appear to know about this problem.
  • The DSG box is an absolute joy.
  • Acceleration is spectacular.
  • Consumption (after  8,000 miles) averages out at 39.5 MPG.
  • I wouldn't bother with 99 RON fuel, you can get 97 RON pretty much everywhere - use that.
  • For consistency, get into the habit of checking the oil level with the car level and the engine completely cold.
  • I would NEVER consider tuning the engine - you shouldn't need  to and are asking for trouble - but your choice.
  • The Swing radio / CD player is perfectly adequate - this car is not suitable for an audiophile ;)

I certainly don't regret buying mine although I would prefer 15" rims with shock absorbing rubber!

I agree with pretty much everything you have said....lapart from;

- please use 98 or above, they do run better and it's proven to be better for the plugs.

- if your car is not an oil user, tuning is not out of the question if you have a CAVE engined car (CTHE have no maps available and tuning boxes will not make any differences)

• Like 1

If you get Tesco Momentum 99 (99 ron minimum)

for the same price or less than the other Brands of Super Unleaded 97 ron minimum from Sainsbury, Esso or BP 

then why would you not use it, 

the recommended fuel is Super Unleaded 98 ron.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

The thing is that Skoda do not really make that clear anyplace before you buy one.

- please use 98 or above, they do run better and it's proven to be better for the plugs.

I would be very interested in seeing any convincing independent evidence that 97 RON fuel is any worse for the VRS engine than 99 RON in normal, day to day, on the road use.

Skoda state quite clearly that the VRS can be run on 95 RON. I understand that there is some EU directive about cars being able to run on 95 RON but frankly I don't believe for a minute that Skoda would say this if they had any evidence that it was going to harm the engine - especially in view of the questionable reputation of the 1.4 TSI engine.

Not everyone lives near a Tesco or Shell garage and they seem to be the only source of 99 RON in the UK. Doesn't any modern petrol engine adjust to higher or lower RON fuel simply by either advancing or retarding the spark - same variation with 97 or 99 RON.

It is not going to harm your engine in day to day driving.

You have a CTHE and a changed Engine Management.

If you feel no difference fair enough.

Some of us that have CAVE do know there is a difference from 95, 97 or 99. or 100-102 ron.

& have tried the various fuels.

So you use what ever you want.

& if you ever have misfires or Cold Start issues, or failing Spark Plugs you might decide that using 99 ron is worth it.

I know i will never fill up again with Sainsbury Super Unleaded.

& not use 95 ron in a Twincharger.

I carry spare 99 ron in the car for when in the North of Scotland on a trip where i might not be able to get Super Unleaded.

Thats from the experience of having been on a 'Road Trip for some fun driving' spoiled by having to put in 95 ron Unleaded.

Around Oban, and north of Fort William or Inverness can require some fore thought on getting the Good Fuel.

• Like 2

They sell 97 ron minimum.  as 99 ron is minimum.  and as 95 is the minimum,

it can exceed the minimum, sometimes what is supplied does,

it can not be below it.

So it meets the required energy output.

Unleaded on mainland europe can be so much nicer than in the UK.

& the 100 ron is lovely stuff IME.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Edited by goneoffSKi

I would be very interested in seeing any convincing independent evidence that 97 RON fuel is any worse for the VRS engine than 99 RON in normal, day to day, on the road use.

Skoda state quite clearly that the VRS can be run on 95 RON. I understand that there is some EU directive about cars being able to run on 95 RON but frankly I don't believe for a minute that Skoda would say this if they had any evidence that it was going to harm the engine - especially in view of the questionable reputation of the 1.4 TSI engine.

Not everyone lives near a Tesco or Shell garage and they seem to be the only source of 99 RON in the UK. Doesn't any modern petrol engine adjust to higher or lower RON fuel simply by either advancing or retarding the spark - same variation with 97 or 99 RON.

When you have been knocking about this forum as long as I have, you see the same issues pop up, and when asked "what fuel do you use" the answer is pretty much always "95 Ron"

I don't particularly care what fuel you use. If you are happy using a fuel lesser to what is recommended, fine.

But ask yourself this, what does it say under the fuel cap lid? Also, would VAG really market the car as 98 or above? In the economic climate that the engine was released into, many people may have been put off by having to use premium fuel.

After the barefaced cheek of them brushing the fundamental issues of this engine under the carpet, I wouldn't put it past them.

• Like 1

? How much oil do you need to put in every 700 miles to have the correct quantity in.?

because 3.6 litres down to the Warning light in 700 miles seems like you have a bad one!

George, i had the flashing oil can so i put 0.5 litres in coz its all i had, today on the way home from work, 370 miles later i got the oil can and check oil message, the bloody car cant even be consistent with its warnings, one minute it flashing the oil can at me (orange) the next its static orange oil can with the words check oil. all i do now is when i get the oil can i just put 0.5 in coz im concerned i overfill it, warm engine with me pouring cold oil in makes me wonder how accurate that dipping would be so 0.5 it is for me

A Twincharger can be over 1 litre low and have no Warning light or warning message.

1.2 litres low i have seen.

So basically are you starting with 3.6 litres of oil in the engine before the light comes on within 700 miles.

& if the light is on, then it is doubtful adding 0.5 litres of oil has it back up to 3.6 litres of oil.

Accuracy is out the window unless you have 3.6 litres in after a Service.

Can you not just park on the flat,

engine and oil cold.  and be sure the oil is showing at the top of the cross hatch?

As it is,

if it uses 1 litre in 700 miles. then even Skoda / VW do not try saying that is within tolerances.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/230124-low-oil-warning

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

trouble is George, its usually happening whilst im driving and therefore its a normal engine temp

it recently passed a test, 0.49 per ltr, so to that effect ive just lost all faith in the dealer and i use sharkys method, warning light/message then put some oil in

not the best way im sure you'll say, poss a little too blase but im so peeved with that part of the car i care not a jot, i drive it, oil light comes on and i put 0.5 of oil in

as my kids say, YOLO, OLLI and all that

but i wouldnt let my bad one put others off, as we all know theres plenty of good ones out there :)

Edited by the mad monk

sharkrider does not have an oil user, and you seem to.

He would need to say how much oil he put in after he had a warning light show.

'Some oil put in',

is not enough if the Warning light or message only shows when the oil is 1/3 below the 3.6 litres.

that would require 1 litre in, and it might still be low.

?

Why do you not just check at least once before a trip and see there is enough oil in.

From that thread i posted you had oil lights 2 years ago, 

i thought by now you might have some idea how much oil is in with a Cold Dip.

After a service, you ask the Technician if 3.6 litres is in,

then dip cold and see where it is on the dip stick.

Edited by goneoffSKi