Blue smoke on start up!

My BLT engine (50K miles) always blows out black smoke on first start up then nothing else (whether ambient temp is warm or cold).  It has always run smoothly, never uses much (if any) oil and runs fine. It used to bother me that something wasn't quite right but as it only does this on start up and never on the move, I've given up worrying.  I'd not be impressed if the valve seals were worn on a FSH car at just 50K miles, but I'd also expect oil use if the valve stem guides were worn and I'm not getting any.  The smoke always smells strongly of unburnt diesel so my thoughts are that it might be a faulty glowplug.

It's conventional to talk about "worn oil seals" seemingly, but back when I first encountered this issue the problem was that the seal material was "work-hardening" very quickly, usually in 20_000 to 30_000 miles, rather than the seals were getting hard (sources including C&G plus time-served mechanics and a BEng (Automotive)).

Interesting.  That being the case, it would be interesting to learn if that was a contributing factor.  I still think that a faulty glow plug is the cause in my case.  I know what burning oil smells like and it's unburnt diesel I'm smelling and not oil.  They have two very different and distinctive smells.  Unburnt diesel when injectors over-fuel (as with some tuning maps) give rise the the same black smoke of unburnt diesel.

Edited by SEVrs

Interesting.  That being the case, it would be interesting to learn if that was a contributing factor.  I still think that a faulty glow plug is the cause in my case.  I know what burning oil smells like and it's unburnt diesel I'm smelling and not oil.  They have two very different and distinctive smells.  Unburnt diesel when injectors over-fuel (as with some tuning maps) give rise the the same black smoke of unburnt diesel.

I'm sure you're right, however it is to MR. Rooney, AKA the OP to whom most of these remarks are addressed because he started the thread and he has blue smoke not black. Ok?

Touchy  :dull:

I was addressing Ken's remarks not yours.  Perhaps a larger pair of specs needed.  OK?

Crossed wires maybe.  Keyboards can do that  :D

Edited by SEVrs

Ok . Today the glow plugs will be changed by my garage as I've heard there can be problems with seized plugs causing all sorts of issues.

As they've been sat in the cylinder head for nearly 12 years without being touched i can see problems?

I'll report back with the results!

Thanks for all your replies !

Had glow plug changed today and all four came out easily after almost 12 years use!

I can now confirm that starting from stone cold no blue ish smoke or any coloured smoke comes out at all! Engine is smooth on start up with no lumpy idle ! In fact it's so smooth I had to check the Rev counter to see if engine was running!

The garage didsay it's common to throw out blue Ish smoke with knackered glow plugs on cold start ups?

This is good news as it s cheap fix unlike new valve seals . Plus I'd be disappointed if if needed new valve seals with my mileage and careful service schedules.

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

I was going to bet my house on the glowplugs but see you've already sorted it

My diesel beemer is the same. Puff of smelly blue smoke on cold starts and rough idle

Need to get my finger out but on a bmw its an inlet manifold off job

glad it's sorted I certainly learned something---did any get checked to see if they were completely shot?    maybe should check mine now  as they are coming up for their twelth  birthday    thanks for the update so many folk don't bother :x 

Had glow plug changed today and all four came out easily after almost 12 years use!

I can now confirm that starting from stone cold no blue ish smoke or any coloured smoke comes out at all! Engine is smooth on start up with no lumpy idle ! In fact it's so smooth I had to check the Rev counter to see if engine was running!

The garage didsay it's common to throw out blue Ish smoke with knackered glow plugs on cold start ups?

This is good news as it s cheap fix unlike new valve seals . Plus I'd be disappointed if if needed new valve seals with my mileage and careful service schedules.

Nice one.  Mine's starting to run a little lumpy from cold start up for about 30 seconds and I do still get some smoke.  I suspected glow plugs as well, so your experience would tend to back that up which is reassuring.

Did you check for any faults with vcds prior to changing glow plugs? I have exact same problem with a PD 140 BKD but have no errors when checked with it.

glad it's sorted I certainly learned something---did any get checked to see if they were completely shot?    maybe should check mine now  as they are coming up for their twelth  birthday    thanks for the update so many folk don't bother :x 

No didn't check them but after nearly 12 years i think they were well past it. It's recommended to change them at 60 k miles and i'm on 138k.

Did you check for any faults with vcds prior to changing glow plugs? I have exact same problem with a PD 140 BKD but have no errors when checked with it.

Yes did a fault check but nothing showing apart from my usual faults like air bags ect. The funny thing with my PD engine it always started instantly even in very cold weather and having been left to stand for weeks. It just puffed out a cloud of smoke and ran lumpy until it warmed up properly.

• 1 year later...

Thread restarter !

I'm interested by this as the smoke on start does make the car feel as old as it actually now is ! (having this as my older car and newer octy petrol which of course is a refined petrol no smoke thank you very much. Although does smell like a petrol tanker on start up haha ).

I did replace on of them already but had no idea that the constant smoking could be attributed to the plugs !

Any ideas on the current price for a full set ? I think when I changed one it was <£20 but I think that was ECP.