New battery after 12 years of faithful service

Went to ATS before to get a free battery check as I feel that the old girl is getting slower at cranking over as of late(especially as the weather has got colder)

As it turns out, the starting power test came out at 16%!!...how in the hell is it still starting at all? :o

They quoted £76 for a new one, with a make I`ve never heard of. Had a look at GSF and ECP, with an Exide Excell coming out at £59, managed to get the same battery for £53 from ebay with a 3 year warranty, result.

Shame the original only lasted 12 years, oh well :happy:

Edited by VeedubyaGTi

I had to replace mine three weeks ago after 12 years on the car. My battery cost did cost a bit more though as mines a diesel, and I went for the highest CCA I could afford. It also came with a 4 year warranty so I'm happy.

That test sounds odd to me, batteries are deemed a failure at 20% down from it's specified cca by the companies I deal with. But various testers use calculations and not actual load testing, if data is input incorrectly you can get a random result like 16% efficiency. I have heard of some companies over estimating the cca on the test so that when it calculates the battery output, it shows a lower efficiency %, a naughty way to make you buy a new battery... Working on your car having a 500-650cca battery, even at best case scenario at 16% efficiency that's only just over 100cca SAE which wouldn't turn a pebble over :)

Exide are good batteries and should surpass the 3 year warranty easily, but just bare in mind, if you do get a fault with it, you won't be able to stick it in the post. Batteries need to be transported by pallet or by the companies own van, I doubt the warranty would cover collection costs. But like I said, exide is a good brand and rarely go faulty (I would have thought a low failure rate like Yuasa, less than 5% failure rate).

12 years is a cracking life span, you can't grumble at that! Mine still has the OE one on, 2003 car and tested it a couple of days ago showing only 8% down after a 15 second load test and wife's 2005 golf last year had to have its OE replaced. They do come with good batteries out of the factory!

Mine started taking a while longer to turn over in the past couple of weeks. At first just enough to notice then the past couple of cold mornings it's turned, stopped for a split second, the doors lock/unlock or whatever then just about started :D Bought one form euros for £49 with 3 year warranty on it, just need to chuck it in. 

AC Delco Freedom batteries were the best in my opinion. They used to be fitted as standard on Vauxhalls. A 1982 Astra which belonged to a friend of mine was still on the original battery in 1996. Vauxhall later fitted 'Go' batteries and they were also very good. I don't know if you can still get them though.

I would definitely avoid cheap unknown makes. They're often rubbish and in some cases you'll be lucky if it lasts six months.

Varta also supply Bosch so keep a check out as they are often cheaper.

Checking on ebay you can get a Varta silver one for the Octavia with 5 year warranty for 54.95 delivered, much cheaper than anywhere else.

Is that the "Varta Silver D15 Heavy Duty Car Battery 63AH SIZE 027" that suits the VRS? I need a new one, shame it's such a boring way to spend £55. Better than being stranded I suppose!

What battery was put into the diesels? Mine is 13.5 years old and 45K miles (because I put 3K on it since buying). It doesn't look anywhere near new, I wonder??? It starts instantly from cold on a quarter turn but when engine is warm takes about 2 turns to start.