Advice on Scout purchase

I am considering changing my Yet Elegance 4x4 110 to a Scout DSG with the following options:

Heated windscreen, Heated front seats, Heated washer, Electric sunroof, Space saver spare wheel, Tow bar, Variable boot floor, Bi-Xenon, Cornering front fog lights, LED rear lights, Front assistant,Canton sound system, Park distance control front and rear, 5 Year Warranty

Would appreciate your comments on

Canton sound system -  Is it really much better than the standard system and will it take up much space in the boot

Park distance control, front and rear -  Would I be better do go for the all singing self parking option

3 year service package  -  is it value for money and worth taking

Any thoughts on the options selected and what if any changes would you suggest

If you do a lot of motorway driving, Adaptive Cruise Control is brilliant (if you can spec it on the Scout).

Canton makes a huge difference.

Panoramic roof is lovely, but expensive.

Power tailgate is very useful.

Reversing Camera with the estates is useful as well.

I have the panoramic roof and have mixed feelings about it.

+ves

great view of sky for rear seat passengers - I keep the blind open for the kids to watch the stars before going to sleep on night runs

an instant boost of fresh air good when bored and tired

lightens up an otherwise sombre interior on the VRS

the headroom is good and plenty of adjustment

lovely on slow-ish country roads - birds song, sunshine and smells etc.

hear the engine!

-ves

expensive

little benefit to front seat passengers

plenty to go wrong

heavy and high up - not good - on a VRS

no good on the motorway or in the city really - most of my driving

not as well insulated as normal roof I think even with the blind shut

I'm glad I got it for some good experiences but its heart over mind stuff...

If you have the Variable boot floor, you can't use the boot netting system.  I know you haven't stated the boot netting system but, I can get 3 carrier bags in each of the vertical nets (used front and back) and still used the currey hooks for another 4 carrier bags.  Thats ten bags of shopping and you've still got the big horizontal net that covers most of the floor, you've got the pull out boot cover so, I don't get why you'd need the hidden floor !

Weekly food shopping you'll use the nets every week, how often will you use the Variable boot floor ?

Edited by themanwithnoaim

I Just put the variable boot floor up into a wedge in the middle of the boot. That gives you room for a row of five bags in front and five behind. I also have a boot net which I have clipped to the high hooks on the side to give a net hammock which is ideal to stop things sliding round.

On the other points, Canton is well worth it and takes up hardly any room. I also like the panoramic roof. The view is of more benefit to rear passengers but I have it open at every opportunity which suits me fine - really transforms the car.

With regards the VBF I do like the fact it puts the floor at the same level as the boot lip.

My wife suffers from a bad back so having the boot floor higher will help a little I hope.

My understanding is it also removes the lip at the other end of the boot when the seats are folded. This gives a more level floor to help load in those massive wardrobe boxes in Ikea! ;-)

Edited by philwoodphoto

Another + point for the VBF is that when you flat the rear seats you get perfectly flat and long enough space which you can use as a bed for 2 people (if you don't have much other luggage).

Another + point for the VBF is that when you flat the rear seats you get perfectly flat and long enough space which you can use as a bed for 2 people (if you don't have much other luggage).

Plus it makes unloading heavy items much easier, and thus protects you from backaches.

Btw. Seeing that options list made me realize just how different standard equipment and options seem to be in different countries. Many of the items listed by Dileas are standard with Elegance here in Finland.

EDIT: Removed an unnecessary question, found the answer in another topic. But I'd like to add that it might be neat to have some sort of comparison tables on which options are available in different countries.

Edited by kallekilponen

Boot nets are the only thing I got with the car but havent used them at all... no need really for that in my case.

I would say VBF cuts too much space if someone travels with lots of bags / duffels in the boot. (as I do)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback and it has helped me to firm up and I have now ordered a Scout in Metal Grey Metallic with:

Winter Pack

Sunroof

Space saver spare wheel

Tow bar with adaptor

Variable boot floor

Bi-Xenon

LED rear lights

folding door mirrors - auto dimming

Cornering front fog lights

Canton sound system

Front Assistant

Park distance control

Provisional build week scheduled week 6 so probably March delivery, assuming the build week does not change