Accident at work, whats procedure?

Volvomeg

Had an slight accident at work on wednesday 10th which has resulted in a hospital visit and found i have a broken ring finger metacarpal bone in my left hand,

Now been a motor vehicle technician this is a slight issue as am not going to be able to work for next 6-8 weeks aslong as it stays a clean break and heals right, don't even want to think about if it doesn't,

The issue i have is that i believe the accident could have been avoided if we had the right tools and i don't want it happening again to anybody else,

I had thursday off work so looked around the net and found a tool to do the job, same tool i used to used at my previous place of work but how can i force them to buy one,

I sort of mentioned it to my manager on friday when i returned back to work on a more "just be about to guide others" sort of role but am unsure if he has authority to spend the sort of money the tool is,

Just after abit of advise on how to force then to put there hands in there pockets, now when head off find out it might not be an issue as am sure a claim for injuries sustained would be far higher but am just prepairing ready,

For the accident point of view, make sure it is logged in the accident book and reported correctly which may include RIDDOR. If there is an issue with how work is conducted there should be someone look at what happened to identify what the root cause was and see if there is a better way, which may be the tool you are talking about. Does the work need a risk assessment or if it has one does it need reviewing in light of your accident?

Rather than going in guns blazing I would try explaining the issue to your manager and show what the benefit of the tool could be as you have used it before, such as quicker work and reduced risk of injury. Remember though that just because you believe it will help doesn't mean it will, they may have looked at it before and discounted it.

As moist said, make sure you log it in the company accident book. Looking at the following link, broken fingers or toes are reportable as other fractures are reportable immediately. That is how I read the link , but as you are going to be off for more than 7 days, then it is a reportable incident.

Your employer should have provided a risk assessment and a method statement to every job where a risk to you, others, damage to equipment could present itself. We are a relatively small outfit, but work for several utilities companies, we have generic risk assessment, method statement etc, but if we attend site, we will have to carry out site specific assessments.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/reportable-incidents.htm

It can be hard going in and stating the facts, and you could be seen as a trouble maker, but your employer has a duty of care to you and other employees, regardless of size of company. End of the day, you just want to do the job safely and return to your family at the end of the day and I'm sure your manager or employer doesn't want to end up in court being prosecuted for a fatality.

All the best for a speedy recovery

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg453.pdf

Each task you do should be risk assessed not only a generic assessment but also can be "dynamic". I would expect this accident to be recorded and from any investigation safeguards put in place to ensure it does not happen again. Be it re training, different tools or a change in procedure.

If in a union worth them being aware too.

There should be no disciplinary procedure against you unless you are found to have not followed instructions. Most employers however have poor instructions and often only act after an accident which is the wrong way round. 

Remember that injuries such as this may well have long-term effects which may not reveal themselves for some time.

These effects may manifest themselves as a loss of function, as well as pain and degeneration of tissue and bone.

Just because your injury looks minor, at the moment, ii is  best not to under estimate future effects and the impct it may have on the future exercise of your professional skills. This is not being "Ambulance chasing". Its just being sensible. You've invested a lot if time and money in getting to your current position.

Consequently, its well be worth while to get an independent medical assessment now from a oractitioner, ideally one that is familar with the industry.

You need to know, how serious the injury is and its short-term and long-term effects and how they will impact on hour profession. Anedectol accounts of how other people have been effected may be useful in this respect. This would give you a foundation for any claim should you feel it necessary to lodge one against your employer, now or in the future, for compensation for loss of income, oain, suffering both for current complaints and those which may emerge in the future.

As regards Health and Saftey processes, from recollection of personal experience in the public service, you may be asked to make a written  statement  about what happened and this will be included in the on-site Heath and Safety Officers Report on the accident. From a legal point-of-view, you need to be careful that any information you include in your statement does not limit any future action you may want to take, so studiously avoid any admissions of liability on your part.

I think you are entitled to a copy of the accident report, which the site Health and Safety rep finally compiles.

N

I'm someone who fills in these reports. You're not entitled to the report, but you should get the reference number. They have to give you that by law and there is no reason for you not to get it.

If you then sit on it for a year, they may fail to do their duty of reporting it to the HSE (which is mandatory for broken fingers) and anything you pursue after that time will be pretty much a slamdunk, as they will be seen as negligent or trying to cover up their mistakes. As above, think carefully about everything you let them put in the report so as not to self incriminate.

The accident book was filled in friday when i returned to work and i have number for RIDDOR as it was on bottom of accident book but surly it isn't my responability to make any enquiry with them its my employer??,

I have said before this is a bad way of doing this job but been met with "this is the way we've always done it" by others its been hard work to get my point across and my manager just lets them get on with it,

I think ill e-mail my aftersales manager at head off and ask what company procedure is for reporting accidents as my site manager is quiet new and hasn't even bothered to come and introduce his self to use in workshop yet after a month of been in charge,

The accident book was filled in friday when i returned to work and i have number for RIDDOR as it was on bottom of accident book but surly it isn't my responability to make any enquiry with them its my employer??,

I have said before this is a bad way of doing this job but been met with "this is the way we've always done it" by others its been hard work to get my point across and my manager just lets them get on with it,

I think ill e-mail my aftersales manager at head off and ask what company procedure is for reporting accidents as my site manager is quiet new and hasn't even bothered to come and introduce his self to use in workshop yet after a month of been in charge,

What was the task out of interest?

We had one of these at old place i was at

http://www.equitools.eu/bilder/produkte/gross/Universal-Aggregateheber-HTJ-1200-2-inkl-DT9-Adapterkit-Getriebeheber_b2.jpg

It was a fantastic bit of kit and i had many an engine out on it,

The issue was the van itself wasn't on the van ramp at the time so was only a few inches off the floor so we were using the pallet truck with engine sat on a tyre on it and as we manovered it into place am unsure if it slipped or one of other lads pushed on it but my hand got trapped between inner wing where radiator mounts and timing chain cover on engine.

I'm not one for standing back and letting others do the work and with 15 years on spanners ive had a fair few engines in and out in my time but this one just didn't go quiet to plan

We had one of these at old place i was at

http://www.equitools.eu/bilder/produkte/gross/Universal-Aggregateheber-HTJ-1200-2-inkl-DT9-Adapterkit-Getriebeheber_b2.jpg

It was a fantastic bit of kit and i had many an engine out on it,

The issue was the van itself wasn't on the van ramp at the time so was only a few inches off the floor so we were using the pallet truck with engine sat on a tyre on it and as we manovered it into place am unsure if it slipped or one of other lads pushed on it but my hand got trapped between inner wing where radiator mounts and timing chain cover on engine.

I'm not one for standing back and letting others do the work and with 15 years on spanners ive had a fair few engines in and out in my time but this one just didn't go quiet to plan

So using a pallet truck with a tyre on it will not be accepted method of doing the task safely. By the sound of what your saying, and what you have used in the past, I'm afraid your company is probably going to be prosecuted for the accident. What is the cost of of that engine mount lift?

I am unsure as yet but i phoned my previous place and got them to get me make and model numbers off it and i have googled and found the company that makes it,

I have e-mailed them with an enquiry to see if they still make it and if so how much one is,

I had a quick google and found a second hand for £1250, even if a new ones 2k i would imagine its still cheaper than a claim for injuries sustained and a health and safety prosecution

Trying to get them to change a process is difficult without their being an incentive. The inventive now however is that they can hopefully see the actual effect of their equipment and techniques rather than the potential. I would still advocate not going in trying to dictate to them as they may feel you are over reacting being the injured party and by going immediately for new kit they are admitting an issue is there.

Playing devil's advocate, and I appreciate I don't know your trade, environment or employer but can you be sure that the kit is appropriate for your new work place and is there any chance a new piece is better than it would be? This is really where a assessment of the tasks being undertaken and Risk assessments should be done to determine the necessary tools, equipment, safety gear and PPE.

Best of luck and go in with a positive mind set rather than negative.

Any risk assessment that your work carry out is expected to be dynamic in that it should change with circumstances/advances in techniques.

Just saying "that is the way we have always done it" doesn't wash with the HSE. They will take one look at the situation and see that the injury was easily preventable.

The engine lift you found would have paid for itself simply by account of your injury and the resulting sick pay. Bear in mind as well that your injury is relatively minor compared to what could have happened such as a crushed (and untreatable) hand or amputation

Everybody keeps talking about the HSE.

I should point out that as the OP is employed in a Motor Vehicle Repair Shop, responsibility for enforcement, incident investigation etc. lies with the Local Authority Environmental Health Depts. not the HSE

(and as I wouldn't trust that bunch to sit the right way round on toilet, I confidently predict that no further investigation of the incident will happen.)

Oh, and by the way - broken fingers are not a RIDDOR 2013 reportable accident - the wording (fractures, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes ) specifically excludes fractures to fingers.

Everybody keeps talking about the HSE.

I should point out that as the OP is employed in a Motor Vehicle Repair Shop, responsibility for enforcement, incident investigation etc. lies with the Local Authority Environmental Health Depts. not the HSE

(and as I wouldn't trust that bunch to sit the right way round on toilet, I confidently predict that no further investigation of the incident will happen.)

Oh, and by the way - broken fingers are not a RIDDOR 2013 reportable accident - the wording (fractures, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes ) specifically excludes fractures to fingers.

However as he is going to be off on the sick for over 7 days, then it is still reportable under RIDDOR

However as he is going to be off on the sick for over 7 days, then it is still reportable under RIDDOR

Does that mean if he's "totally unavailable"... Or if he's "unable to perform the role for which he was employed"?

Looking at the link in my first post on the subject, it still has to be reported in either case.

Although the vast majority of companies will not report it if they can get you back into work inside 7 days on some sort of work.

Although the vast majority of companies will not report it if they can get you back into work inside 7 days on some sort of work.

Even if they find him an alternative role , due to the nature of his injury, he has stated it will take 6 to 8 weeks to heal, it still is reportable as he not be returning to his normal role after 7 days.

Even if they find him an alternative role , due to the nature of his injury, he has stated it will take 6 to 8 weeks to heal, it still is reportable as he not be returning to his normal role after 7 days.

Either way the exam question wasn't actually about reportability, it was about getting the right kit in the workshop to do the job safely and effectively. So to go in and slam a rule book on the managers table and demand action is just going to get his back up and achieve little!

I believe it has been recorded in the accident book so the OP is covered in that respect. From a safe working environment maybe the shock of seeing an actual consequence may do the trick, or maybe it may need a bit of persuasion but hopefully it will be a good outcome.

I agree they should, just the reality that most won't. However, HSE would not investigate in any case.

As has already been said it should hopefully persuade them to buy the correct tool for the job.

Metacarpal is actually the bone behind by knuckle in my hand so technically it isn't my finger it is my hand that is fractured, admitedly only about 10mm from my finger but still classed as my hand,

hence why i am strapped up from my halfway down my fingers to halfway down my arm,

I only actually had one day off but am not back on spanners more a supervisory role for now,

I have contacted the company of the tool in question and they phoned me this morning and he is going to contact me in due course with a avaiability and cost so then the fun starts