Do tattoo's offend you.

BO60BYS

Do tattoo's offend you !  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Well the questions in the title. Do tattoo's offend you

part of me thinks you realise how ridiculous that was? we have freedom of choice !

I have no issue with tattoos, depending on its content.

Yes it's a freedom of choice, but end of the day you have to take responsibility for your own actions. To say you being discriminated, because of your own actions, is pathetic

• Like 1

Yes it's a freedom of choice, but end of the day you have to take responsibility for your own actions. To say you being discriminated, because of your own actions, is pathetic

You can't give someone freedom of choice and then say you made the wrong choice based on your personal opinion ! ?

• Like 2

So is it ok to discriminate against peoples religion in your opinion then?

You can't give someone freedom of choice and then say you made the wrong choice based on your personal opinion ! ?

Where did I say you made the wrong choice.

You are applying for a job which has a tattoo policy and if they deem that your tattoo is unacceptable, then that is the result of your decision to have a tattoo

• Like 1

Where did I say you made the wrong choice.

You are applying for a job which has a tattoo policy and if they deem that your tattoo is unacceptable, then that is the result of your decision to have a tattoo

they are deeming it unacceptable by their personal opinion but there only policy is for it to be covered?  basically saying  made the wrong choice ?

Have you raised this with them?

Yes but they seem to be sticking to it may cause offence . I personally think its because its a large tattoo ... but yet it would be covered anyway? I'm going to take this further. 

Content of tattoo I find offensive will be any neo Nazi crap.

I'm not talking about the tattoo, I'm talking in relation to your statement that it's his fault/ok because he chose to have the tattoo. By that thinking anyone who chooses a religion is fair game to discriminate against because they chose to follow that faith. 

• Like 1

Yes but they seem to be sticking to it may cause offence . I personally think its because its a large tattoo ... but yet it would be covered anyway? I'm going to take this further.

Then rather go in claiming discrimination, which will get you no where, use their policy document on tattoos and state that your tattoo will be covered by a long sleeve shirt, as stated in the their policy. That way they can't use your tattoo as an excuse not to employ you

• Like 2

Then rather go in claiming discrimination, which will get you no where, use their policy document on tattoos and state that your tattoo will be covered by a long sleeve shirt, as stated in the their policy. That way they can't use your tattoo as an excuse not to employ you

Im going to as soon as i can find someone who to write to. If i contact the ones that have been emailing me it will be as much use as ****ing against the wind.

Im going to as soon as i can find someone who to write to. If i contact the ones that have been emailing me it will be as much use as ****ing against the wind.

well I apologise for it getting heated between us, and I hope you are successful in having the decision over turned. I just felt by going down the discrimination route, would personally open a can of worms.

well I apologise for it getting heated between us, and I hope you are successful in having the decision over turned. I just felt by going down the discrimination route, would personally open a can of worms.

dont apologise your welcome to your opinion and regardless of what i think of that opinion i can't change it :)

Thanks anyway but it is discrimination because 100+ people applied and iv been turned down because of a tattoo that would be covered and they didn't even look at my application ? 

On a number of occasions I was able to identify suspects because of their distinctive tattoos; either via cctv or witness statements et al.

The fact they don't allow tattoos may not be down to not liking them, but to stop off duty pc's getting their heads kicked in by people they've had dealings with in an official capacity or their friends or family.

Not aware of any force that only has a long sleeve shirt policy, but I guarantee you will be sweating your nads off in the summer as it is wearing stab vest, hi vis, bwss, cuffs and baton, radio, first aid, search gloves and the rest, never mind a long sleeved shirt.

Fin

Some tattoos are just stupid, such as the cut here neck tattoos and the face ones. These are people that I avoid (never actually seen anyone with a tattoo on their face though) But most are alright, and discreet and that's fine. Someone that my dad worked for and still does a bit for has a tattoo on his arm that says something like "I have loved another mans wife, that woman was my mother"

dont apologise your welcome to your opinion and regardless of what i think of that opinion i can't change it :)

Thanks anyway but it is discrimination because 100+ people applied and iv been turned down because of a tattoo that would be covered and they didn't even look at my application ? 

I don't know the procedure, but, how did they turn you down, if they did not look at your application?

How do you know it is your tattoo that is the reason?

I'm not talking about the tattoo, I'm talking in relation to your statement that it's his fault/ok because he chose to have the tattoo. By that thinking anyone who chooses a religion is fair game to discriminate against because they chose to follow that faith.

If you look at my post again, I said

How can you claim discrimination Is the same as someone being discriminated against Because of their race, Gender,sexuality, ETC

I put ETC as there is so many things discrimination covers and I wasn't going to list every single one

How do you know they haven't looked at your application?

And you say they've told you that some people may find tattoos offensive. I would suggest that they've dismissed all tattoo'd applications on the grounds that they're not in a position (or don't want to be put in a position) of having to decide which tattoos are possibly going to cause offence. Discrimination covers race. gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and age. But unfortunately not tattoos.

• Like 1

How do you know they haven't looked at your application?

And you say they've told you that some people may find tattoos offensive. I would suggest that they've dismissed all tattoo'd applications on the grounds that they're not in a position (or don't want to be put in a position) of having to decide which tattoos are possibly going to cause offence. Discrimination covers race. gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and age. But unfortunately not tattoos.

Because the deadline was Wednesday and its only tuesday but I'm guessing when you submit the application if you have ticked the *do you have any tattoo's* box then it automatically sends you a email requesting to see them, and soon as i sent the pictures of them *Covered with long sleeve and uncovered short sleeve* i got a email saying that my application was unsuccessful even before the date they where due to be looked at.

I'm not a fan of them but can appreciate good ones as an art form. However what I really dislike is when people with particularly visible or potentially offensive ones expect to everyone to just forget about them at certain times. They clearly got them done for a particular reason yet when it suits them the want people to forget that. I really mean the facial and neck stuff. Sleeves and hands are pretty much mainstream now and socially acceptable although I do understand that the armed forces and police have issues with them as will other employers no doubt.

Not sure if they are really covered under discrimination but I'm sure some police forces have made exceptions for ex service personnel where there was a tradition of certain tattoos which could not be routinely covered.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of them but can appreciate good ones as an art form. However what I really dislike is when people with particularly visible or potentially offensive ones expect to everyone to just forget about them at certain times. They clearly got them done for a particular reason yet when it suits them the want people to forget that. I really mean the facial and neck stuff. Sleeves and hands are pretty much mainstream now and socially acceptable although I do understand that the armed forces and police have issues with them as will other employers no doubt.

Not sure if they are really covered under discrimination but I'm sure some police forces have made exceptions for ex service personnel where there was a tradition of certain tattoos which could not be routinely covered.

i get what your saying. if you get an offensive tattoo then thats a pretty silly move and have no right to complain otherwise.... but the reason i asked was my case, the fact its not offensive and iv still been knocked back? explain that one. 

The deadline will be a time when no more applications will be accepted though. It wouldn't be a time when they would start looking at applications. They can start weeding out any they don't like the look of at any point after it's received I should think. HAve they told you your application was unsuccessful because of your tattoo? If they gave no reason then you'll not be able to challenge them on the reason why it was refused.