Hi , I was coming off a roundabout in my 1997 1.9 diesel pick up was changing fron second up to third and was dull thud and I have no gears at all. AA man had quick look and said I needed recon box  :sweat: can ayone Help?? Also are all felicia gearboxes the same?? Help Greatly Appreciated as I cannot find info in older threads!

Help Greatly Appreciated as I cannot find info in older threads!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/236986-19d-gearbox-issues/?hl=%2Bgearbox

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/323998-felicia-19d-clutch-or-gearbox-fail/?hl=%2Bgearbox

On the other hand, when you say "I have no gears at all" is pretty vague. Please elaborate. Describe what you tried and how it felt.

Engine reves Clutch moves , Feels like I can change gears from gear shift but nothing. There was no crunching , burning smell. Just a dull thud and reving engine. I know its vague but I am better with wood than cars unfortunately !! Any help would be great.

With engine stopped, if the gears shifter feels the same when you try to engage gears, it's a clutch disk failure, not the gearbox.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

Thanks Millions, I was hoping it was not gearbox at this time of year. I will take van to a garage at weekend and have someone look at it. Wish I knew more about cars than wood !!

Have a Good Christmas :cocktail:

• Like 1

I come back with some questions and clarifications.

How many thousand miles has the clutch?

Was the pickup abused, overloaded frequently?

How much weight did you carry the day the incident occured?

Can you hear that specific clunk when you put it in reverse?

Is there any scraping noise when you put it into gear and try driving away? Try 2nd, 3rd and reverse too.

My assumption about the clutch is based on your observation that gear shifter mechanism 'feels' OK. To lose all speeds at once on a street car it is quite uncommon to be a gearbox issue. Not impossible though. A broken primary shaft event is rare, but it happens. What I want to say is that although the clutch disk failure is the most common problem, you are not yet out of the woods on a gearbox issue.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

There was no crunch in any gears, pick up never overloaded, rarely loaded at all. No noticble burning smells or clutch slipping as I said going to change gear out of 2nd to third and thud no gears at all . Engine revs feels like gears are able to go into gear including reverse with no crunching but just revs so poor pick up abandoned in car park til I can get it towed to garage.I am away from home and got no mates to help out up here !

Thanks Ricardo and Clive for advice. Hoping it is clutch, Clive. If its gearbox I will message you. I never thought when I bought my Skoda Pick Up and joined this site it would be so helpful. Restores my faith in humanity!!

if you are lucky the clutch plate has split round the spline so a full new kit plus fitting will sort it not a cheap job , pity you are not near me crewe I would sort it for you

Clive

• Like 1

Thanks for offer Clive....Hope your Christmas and New Year go well. I will get pick up to a garage up here so they can sus out for sure what is wrong. Spent a small fortune on it this year and he was going great!! as well as work done on Pick up I bought Truckman top, Ifor Williams top and was on way back from collecting steel wheels with winter tyres when my little boy packed in!! Maybe I will win lottery and get Pick Up back on road for New Year  :happy: ..

Cheers

Adam

Very strange cabins1... no scraping noise, no rattling, no clunk when putting in reverse, only revving without torque to wheels. That is why I wanted to know more about the symptoms. I must assume that because mechanics is not your toughest point, you thought the gear shifter feels and works OK. Losing all gears at once is either the clutch, or the gearbox primary shaft, or the gear shifter linkage mechanism. Based on your new answers (no noise when revving the engine, no feel of gears engaging, car not overloaded) all points to a simpler failure, the gear shifter linkage mechanism. Keep us posted and if possible take some photos of evidence found.

Edited by RicardoM

Sounds like the clutch has gone or possibly a CV joint as there was a thud noise first.

As mentioned in my very first reply, I thought too it is the clutch that failed. But the man said that other than engine revving there was no scraping, grinding, rattling noise when he tried to start driving. What kind of sudden failure of the clutch or CV axle you have in mind that is completely silent when put back under load?

Edited by RicardoM

Hi, Went to van today but was getting dark!! When clutch is pressed the cable moves fine But still no gears and revving engine, it was getting dark but when I looked under van a Rubber Exhaust mount has snapped and exhaust is hanging down and moving about!!....Could this perhaps of hit gear linkage and knocked something out or am I wish ful thinking!!! Dam I wish I knew more about mechanics!!!!!

Should of got mechanics apprenticeship instead of Joiners!!

Thanks so much for all your advice so far and when I get to van in daylight I will take some pictures.

You guys been Great   :thumbup:

Adam

Oh van had new drive shafts, front bearings,track rod ends,complete wisbones, discs, pads , front shocks, springs and top rubbers 3 months ago, well thats what I paid for lol. I have tried to look after my little boy.

Its just bad time this problem has occured as my 3 kids want santa and I want to spend santa money on my wee pick up!! He has been better behaved than kids!!

You might have hit a boulder in that roundabout?

Do a simple test with engine stopped when you go back to van.

1. gear shifter in neutral, no handbrake, check if you can push freely the car
  2. gear shifter in 1st, try again pushing the car forward, listen for any odd noise
  3. same as 2 but gear shifter in reverse, push backwards.
Edited by RicardoM

I will try that Ricardo. Oh the AA guy said when he had van jackede up he coud put it in gear and wheels spun (that is when he gave me news he thought it was gearbox)

In the meantime does anyone know if the clutch is the same on a 1998 1.9D pick up as on a 1.9 estate 1998-2001 ??

This looks more and more like an episode from The Twilight Zone. First you had no gears at all, then you remember the AA guy was able to shift it in gear and the wheels spun, yet the gearbox is gone :o . It's a mess... with such unreliable input, any advice becomes useless..

My apologies I have been as accurate as possible with my limited knowledge of cars. I will take car to garage for advice in meantime I will buy a gearbox and clutch as I can only presume it is one of them!!

in meantime I will buy a gearbox and clutch as I can only presume it is one of them!!

Why would you do that before knowing exactly what failed?? Do you have too much money?

I will list again all possible situations when a car loses completely transmission ordered by probability.

• gear shifter linkage mechanism inoperative
  • clutch disk or pressure plate catastrophic failure
  • gearbox primary shaft or differential broke
  • CV axles broke

If there is proper movement of gear shifter linkage mechanism in and out of the gearbox when changing gears, gearbox must come out. If not, things are simpler and you need only to check for bent or broken parts in the gear shifter linkage mechanism.

With gearbox out you can assess the state of the clutch and gearbox. If the clutch is good, you can either try to repair the gearbox or replace it. I would open the gearbox and try to repair it myself on a low budget if only the pins of the gear shift rods broke.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

I am totally skint(broke) I just want my wee pick up to get back on road and I dont know how to fix it!! So when I can get it towed to garage I thought it would be best if I bought parts.

As i know nothing about gears I will look under van to see if linkage is damaged or anything obvious looks wrong.

WISH I HAD TO MUCH MONEY!!

WISH I HAD TO MUCH MONEY!!

Welcome to the club! :$$$:

Send us photos or upload a movie on YouTube in case you find something strange. Put a friend shift gears in turn and watch the movement and rotation of the gear shifter linkage mechanism.