IAM on Facebook

stever750

Anybody else follow them? Out of touch and almost anti driving at times. I'm not at all motivated to finish the course and take my test, it's pretty meaningless. Whoever is editing their page isn't really giving a huge amount of thought to the topic that's for sure

Anybody else follow them? Out of touch and almost anti driving at times. I'm not at all motivated to finish the course and take my test, it's pretty meaningless. Whoever is editing their page isn't really giving a huge amount of thought to the topic that's for sure

Do elaborate ?

• Like 1

Can't agree that it's meaningless. Taking people out over the 12 weeks it takes to go through the course is rewarding in that I see the change in their driving, and when they sign up to iamsurety, they can save a bundle on insurance. People who drop out at 10 or 11 weeks are really helpful when I've put all that effort in...

• Like 2

Relevant to the time of year - 

https://www.facebook.com/InstituteofAdvancedMotorists?fref=nf

Observation 

And for a good ol' moan about someone else's driving 

http://www.iam.org.uk/forum/

Ok, so that last one isn't fbk but you get the idea.

Relevant to the time of year - 

Observation 

And for a good ol' moan about someone else's driving 

http://www.iam.org.uk/forum/

Ok, so that last one isn't fbk but you get the idea.

im guessing your pro IAM ?

I'm afraid my experience of the IAM is disappointing. IMO their facebook posts are often lacking in any detail and just often banal questions. They really aren't selling themselves at all. I've been a member, was working towards taking my course which is not particularly difficult to pass, but for several reasons just ran out of patience and interest in taking it.

I found IAM to be very snobby when I was looking to do my advanced, I went to rospa and found my local group to be approachable, then I moved and found the new local group to be about the same as the IAM groups I'd found, to the point that it put me off renewing.

Im not IAM or anything of the like, but im interested in driving and take pride in my safe but progressive driving style, and even more so on the motorbike.

I've heard plenty snob up about the 'IAM' but all I've ever seen in the road is cars with the stickers on the back window, and tootling below the speed limit. I've never seen any of them do anything which i think 'oh that was good driving'.

I have done IAM and ROSPA and I lean more towards ROSPA when anyone asks about doing such courses. 100% like the idea of passing a slightly higher standard and it being recognised with a grading, 50% then bail and go IAM when they hear it's a pass for life not to be retaken to retain it like ROSPA. I am still surprised at this still being the case (or has it changed recently?). I used to get the odd reprobate with their own unique style of crap driving come along and miserably fail a basic driving assessment, then repute the possibility that they could have failed as they were an IAM 'qualified' driving God and had taken the test some 6/7/8/9/20 years previous........ Yet these tools still can take advantage of the small discounts in insurance premiums etc..... In the world of any form of further or advanced driver training, it must be maintained by all not just some. Basic pass/fail which doesn't differentiate if you scrapped by or were at the peak of your game and a high and mighty halo and needy looking sticker that has no relevance on earth being displayed, means I cannot take IAM as seriously as they rightfully should be given their stature as an organisation in itself. Retest to retain not a pass for life, no one is exempt from skill fade. 

I have done IAM and ROSPA and I lean more towards ROSPA when anyone asks about doing such courses. 100% like the idea of passing a slightly higher standard and it being recognised with a grading, 50% then bail and go IAM when they hear it's a pass for life not to be retaken to retain it like ROSPA. I am still surprised at this still being the case (or has it changed recently?). I used to get the odd reprobate with their own unique style of crap driving come along and miserably fail a basic driving assessment, then repute the possibility that they could have failed as they were an IAM 'qualified' driving God and had taken the test some 6/7/8/9/20 years previous........ Yet these tools still can take advantage of the small discounts in insurance premiums etc..... In the world of any form of further or advanced driver training, it must be maintained by all not just some. Basic pass/fail which doesn't differentiate if you scrapped by or were at the peak of your game and a high and mighty halo and needy looking sticker that has no relevance on earth being displayed, means I cannot take IAM as seriously as they rightfully should be given their stature as an organisation in itself. Retest to retain not a pass for life, no one is exempt from skill fade.

Have you done any bike advanced training courses mate?

IMI qualification for IAM has to be taken every three years now.

That is a much welcome change. Does this mean all 10+ year old halos are being called back in? :D 

• Like 1

Have you done any bike advanced training courses mate?

Nothing over Bike Safe, not lived in an area where it's been an option and still don't :( But more so than a car IMO bike ones would be the way to go it you had to choose! My reason for saying that is basically that if you misjudge something on control of a car it's a lot more forgiving and protective in the event of a collision than a vehicle that you have to put on it's side in a much narrower window to safely negotiate bends etc. There would be a fair few transferable skills within either 2 or 4 wheel sides that said.

• Like 1

Nothing over Bike Safe, not lived in an area where it's been an option and still don't :( But more so than a car IMO bike ones would be the way to go it you had to choose! My reason for saying that is basically that if you misjudge something on control of a car it's a lot more forgiving and protective in the event of a collision than a vehicle that you have to put on it's side in a much narrower window to safely negotiate bends etc. There would be a fair few transferable skills within either 2 or 4 wheel sides that said.

Agreed. A decent bike rider definitely 100% makes a better bike rider.

Bike riders look for so much more that a car driver doesn't necessarily do.

Skills are transferable. I feel im a better car driver for being a bike rider. Without a doubt.

Lorry drivers reckon their the bee's knees after all their training, but I've had a fair few pull out in me. 2 of which could of been a bad do without pre-empting it

As far as Observers are concerned, which is me, by 2018 I'll have to re-take my Observer quali as the current one won't be recognised. The group has to have at least two National Observers (old Senior Observer) in place by March 2015 to be classed as an affiliated IAM group.

• Like 1

Bike riders look for so much more that a car driver doesn't necessarily do.

Let's not get into this. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bereaved-family-releases-shocking-video-4165719

This is a blatant case of the car driver not looking far enough down the road and the biker using their superior skills....by considerably exceeding the speed limit. The outcome is graphic and frankly, obvious.

Let's not get into this.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bereaved-family-releases-shocking-video-4165719

This is a blatant case of the car driver not looking far enough down the road and the biker using their superior skills....by considerably exceeding the speed limit. The outcome is graphic and frankly, obvious.

And a bike rider driving a car is more likely to see a bike and other hazards which a car driver wouldnt necessarily look for.

I've seen that video before and i dont condone the bikers riding. I know its easy to criticise on a YouTube video.

Bike vs car wasnt what i was saying. I can find you hundreds of videos of a car driver going a little too quick. We're all guilty of that.

• Like 1