Radio reception - Columbus Retrofit Issues

Possibly the double FAKRA female connector is not seated properly.

Or you broke one of the pins in the middle of each male connector.

Have you checked that both antenna are being used by the Columbus?

Hold down set up until you get to the 'Radio' menu then select FM and you'll be able to see if either or both antenna are active.

I changed the swing unit out before even turning radio on, will refit it and test it when I have a chance.

Google said something about a diversity antenna, helps switch to strongest radio or something like that. They mentioned bypassing it on a toureag forum but can't see if it's same on a fabia

Diversity on the Golf Mk5 was a unit under the seat which did the signal strength selection. They sharp stopped that and went onto the head units switching for the best signal. That was back in 2005 ish as I recall. I don't think this will be your problem mate.

Is there any option to switch ANT 1 on -I'd think that it will be in a setup menu of the head unit somewhere, I'm sure that that antenna (aerial amplifier) is switched on or off via the head unit. I don't think that you would need an aerial adapter to bypass the diversity function, that's basically a two in to one plug, that you can pick up on eBay and is more appropriate for retrofitting a head unit like this in to an older car with just the one aerial rather than the two which your Fabia will have.

I've had a read up on the Toureg stuff and it seams that their diversity function is outside of the stereo in a separate module. I'm not sure of the reason for this, but it looks like the Toureg has 4 separate aerials rather than 2.

Just been out, can't find an antenna on option in any menu.

The radio worked perfectly in my 13 plate monte carlo.

My dash cam couldn't be causing it could it? Not sure why it would think antenna 1 was off though.

Would a 510 unit be a straight plug and play swap for 310 unit ?

I wouldn't mind DAB radio

You can get the RCD310 and RCD510, RNS310/5 and RNS510 with or without DAB, but not in their Skoda versions -only Amundsen + DAB (RNS 315 DAB) and Columbus DAB (RNS 510)

I have a RCD510 DAB in my Roomster

There's no option to 'switch on' either antenna. They are (if fitted) both permanently active.

Antenna 1 is AM reception and it's the one furthest from the GPS socket on the back of the Columbus.

A '13 plate Fabia should have two antenna fitted as standard so both should be active.

My guess is that there is a broken cable somewhere between the headunit and antenna 1 or the antenna receiver is broken.

If that's the roof mounted aerial then it's possible that wzter has got into the base and corroded the PCB. But wouldn't expect that on a '13 plate vehicle though.

Press and hold the right hand knob on the Swing if I remember correctly, if that has problems then it's an issue that should be dealt with under warranty. The power for the aerial comes from the head unit, so I'd think it unlikely that a dash cam would cause a problem.

Well swapped over columbus for swing radio, took car for a spin so safe mode disabled, checked the antenna status....

40b97e5baa8a83d59d573139f0e32f76.jpg

Looks like fabia needs to go to skoda!

Any idea of antenna 1 is the roof antenna?

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to say, took it to skoda for a look and they have booked it in to be fixed

Fault code relating to antenna, but no previous history of this problem on skoda database apparently!