Shark STS Windows 8 driver?

bubba

Can anyone upload or share a link to the Windows 8 64 bit driver? I've received my STS unit from Shark, but no drivers.  The link downloads a zip file, but it doesn't have the correct drivers and the link in the PDF file no longer exists!

I've googled the issue and found links, but they are all dead.  As its Xmas Day, I don't expect to get a reply from Shark until the end of Dec.

Thanks

Didn't notice they were from Shark (although nothing via email or phone from them)

I still need the windows 8 drivers, so hopefully they'll reply to my email. The links given in the instructions are dead links and the link posted above didn't help either.

Edited by bubba

Didn't notice they were from Shark (although nothing via email or phone from them)

I still need the windows 8 drivers, so hopefully they'll reply to my email. The links given in the instructions are dead links and the link posted above didn't help either.

Shark_90 is Ben, the boss of Shark
  • Like 1

Well I'm back at my house now, so I tried to get things going using my old windows 7 laptop.

Followed the instructions, but I didn't get prompted to input my vehicles details, it looks as if my STS box was setup for another vehicle and was in Italian.

I reset the unit and chose Skoda Octavia, but it only had the 2.0 TFSI version and not the newer TSI

I chose that one and then followed the instructions to connect the car, but it always fails to communicate with my ECU when reading the existing file.

It scans my ECU with no problem, checks for errors and tells me the ECU version, not will not read the file, so that I can send it off.

Really not impressed with Shark at this stage, I'm £500 or more out of pocket for over a week and no closer to a stage 1 map.

I understand Xmas and new year cause delays, I just like things to work as intended.

The change to the protected ECUs came in around September 2009, so if your car is after that manufactured date then its possible you have a protected ECU which cannot be read by the STS.

The change to the protected ECUs came in around September 2009, so if your car is after that manufactured date then its possible you have a protected ECU which cannot be read by the STS.

Great, best give shark a call tomorrow then.

Finally get chance to phone shark and they're closed until 5th Jan :( that would explain the lack of response.

It has left me with a rather negative opinion of the company now, despite all the raving reviews from everyone else, it hasn't gone smoothly for me

Finally got this sorted and my map sent off to Shark. My device should have come pre-configured to my car, but for some reason it was in Italian, so I had to erase the device.

Then I chose the Octavia VRS option when setting it up again, however that has the wrong ECU, as it's not a TSI engine.

I needed the 1.8 TSI option, as although it's the wrong size engine, it's the same ECU.

After 40 minutes waiting for my device to reset, it finally worked.

Just waiting on the Stage 1 map now.

I do think the instructions could do with an update, as the links in there are wrong and I had no way of knowing about the engine selection.

I also have the windows 8 drivers, but that's another pain in the ass, as I have to install the device from fresh each time it connects.

Edited by bubba

Finally get chance to phone shark and they're closed until 5th Jan :( that would explain the lack of response.

It has left me with a rather negative opinion of the company now, despite all the raving reviews from everyone else, it hasn't gone smoothly for me

Just caught up with this Neil, after a potential customer mentioned it to me on the stand at Autosport as he'd read it on the forum.

I'm sorry it's left you with a "rather negative opinion" of my company but I'm a real person with a family who deserves a (very rare) holiday at Christmas.

I'm sorry you've had problems, but the circumstances prevailed in this case I'm afraid, rather than any influence from us.

I hope you're happy with the car now, as I remember doing your map earlier this week.

Thanks

Ben

• Like 1

Just caught up with this Neil, after a potential customer mentioned it to me on the stand at Autosport as he'd read it on the forum.

I'm sorry it's left you with a "rather negative opinion" of my company but I'm a real person with a family who deserves a (very rare) holiday at Christmas.

I'm sorry you've had problems, but the circumstances prevailed in this case I'm afraid, rather than any influence from us.

I hope you're happy with the car now, as I remember doing your map earlier this week.

Thanks

Ben

Yes very happy with everything now it's working on the car, the windows 8 issue is still there. I more than anyone understand a need for a family life. Perhaps an auto reply could be setup on your system? There is one already that says the email has been received, this could be amended to state the offices are closed? Or even something on the website?

I wasn't in a position to call until that Monday, which is then when I got the "out of office" message.

The instructions sent out with the STS also need a quick amendment, as the links in the instructions don't work.

I spent quite a while searching your site, other forums and Google in a quest to find the right drivers.

My device was also setup incorrectly prior to being sent out, which then caused me even more problems and eventually blocked my ECU from accepting the STS (2 calls to your support line during the day resolved my issues)

I've still recommended your company to colleagues at work, the map is really very good and I'm even considering a DSG map :)