Wider alloys

nitrovrs

Howdy peeps, what sort of width/offset alloys best/will fit the Citigo (Monte Carlo in this case, standard suspension). Not interested in 17/18" rims, probably staying 15's, maybe 16's for the right alloy.

Would rather know what will fit rather than what peeps think will fit or would look good (sorry if that offends anyone).

Skoda do standard 15" and 16" wheels for the Citigo. The 15" Auriga wheels are 5.5" x 15" and take a 185/55/x/15 tyre. The 16" Serpens wheels are 6.0" x 16" ET43 and take a 185/50 x 16 tyre.

what sort of width/offset alloys best/will fit the Citigo (Monte Carlo in this case, standard suspension). Not interested in 17/18" rims, probably staying 15's, maybe 16's for the right alloy.

Would rather know what will fit rather than what peeps think will fit or would look good (sorry if that offends anyone).

Are you trying to find the widest possible that can fit, and wanting to change for esthetic reasons? Just to point out that larger wheels generally means heavier, with corresponding reduction in performance.

The Skoda document (July 2014 edition) listing wheel & tyres sizes for each model has 6.5Jx17 ET43 as the widest, then 6Jx16 ET43, then 5.5Jx15 ET41.

Are you trying to find the widest possible that can fit, and wanting to change for esthetic reasons? Just to point out that larger wheels generally means heavier, with corresponding reduction in performance.

The Skoda document (July 2014 edition) listing wheel & tyres sizes for each model has 6.5Jx17 ET43 as the widest, then 6Jx16 ET43, then 5.5Jx15 ET41.

What performance?

• Like 1

What performance?

Completely agree. Car isn't a performance car, so isn't going to make much of a difference. Why not get a wider alloy? It can be a really cool look on cars like these, and since those who drive Citigos don't tend to be too concerned about performance, don't see why not! 

All show no go. It isn't supposed to be a performance car. Those who talk about performance of a shopping car need to have a word with themselves.

I like reading how people believe fitting kN and exhaust will boost performance on cars like these. Make it look good but it isn't getting any quicker without a turbo/supercharger or engine swap and serious money.

• Like 1

I hear you AnotherGareth,

I personally am going for looks and the minimal increase in weight (probs staying 15's) shouldn't be a problem.

I'm thinking lowered, alloys and possibly a cat back (make that 3 pot sound we all love a tad louder) with visible tailpipe design (maybe twins???).

Performance is of no interest on this car.... my Octy is for that!! ;)

• Like 1

All show no go. It isn't supposed to be a performance car. Those who talk about performance of a shopping car need to have a word with themselves.

I like reading how people believe fitting kN and exhaust will boost performance on cars like these. Make it look good but it isn't getting any quicker without a turbo/supercharger or engine swap and serious money.

To be fair, I have an induction kit in for no reason other than personal satisfaction. It doesn't make it faster. It just sounds ruddy good on a cold start. :-P

Aren't you afraid that handling may change with wider wheel? Especially if ET figure is changed a lot. Citigo's steering is quite good as it is. Better that Mark II Octavia has. Wider wheels could ruin the steering.

Edited by Emil

I have Wolfrace Mirage Alloys on mine- they are 15" with a 6.5 off set, I get about 49mpg but I do also have roof bars and bike carriers on.

I put the wheels on the day after I got my SE so the change in handling wasn't really noticeable. To me the car feels very stable on the road and I've had no problems with steering. 

I have Wolfrace Mirage Alloys on mine- they are 15" with a 6.5 off set, I get about 49mpg but I do also have roof bars and bike carriers on.

I put the wheels on the day after I got my SE so the change in handling wasn't really noticeable. To me the car feels very stable on the road and I've had no problems with steering.

Just to help you along unless it was a typo your wheels would be 6.5" wide, the offset is the measurement between the mounting face of the rim and the wheel centre line.

How one can know how good steering is if driven less than one day with stock wheels? I have to drive several weeks, if not months, to learn how car performs in different situations. Maybe it's just me.

Just to help you along unless it was a typo your wheels would be 6.5" wide, the offset is the measurement between the mounting face of the rim and the wheel centre line.

Ah yes sorry for the mix up :notme:

How one can know how good steering is if driven less than one day with stock wheels? I have to drive several weeks, if not months, to learn how car performs in different situations. Maybe it's just me.

I'd driven a VW UP before and I'd test driven the citigo before I bought it and I was happy with the power steering and the turning circle.

So what is your wheel ET then? Do you get some torque steering maybe?

Let's hope it works how it should on slippery roads as well. Wrong ET may cause some problems for Electronic Stability Program (ESP).

Edit: I'd say "performance" is not just engine power. ;)

Edited by Emil

Anyways to me good steering is a lot more than powerful power steering and small turning circle. Citigo's steering gives information about road conditions. One important thing is that it doesn't need guidance all the time. That's the reason why I wouldn't dare to disturb it with abnormal ET.

Edited by Emil

To be fair, there are plenty of things that might not be to some people's preference. For example, Eibach's might be too firm a ride for most. Doesn't mean it's a bad decision. Wider/bigger alloys might alter the 'performance' of the car - even by your definition of performance - but it doesn't mean it's not something you get used to.

You drive the way the car is best driven. When you drive a RWD 3 litre BMW you'd drive it differently than a 1.0 Citigo, obviously, to avoid crashing or dangerous situations. 

This is no difference. Just see the wider alloys on the Citigo as a new car. You drive it the way that doesn't risk crashing it. If its turning is different, you account for that in your driving style. 

I reiterate my original comment, since it's not going to do any actual 'harm', I don't see why not. Each to their own. People still drive with 25 degrees of negative camber, even though that's infinitely less practical and infinitely more dangerous. 

• Like 1

Just to help out, I've just bought some 195/50/15 BBS alloys for my Citigo which will be wider than the Citigo's 185/50 alloys that are currently on it. Once fitted I'll feed back to say what they're like.

010e6d65237ea8027e1c6e6b348f094f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Picked them up for 100 today so not a bad price to pay for an unmarked set of BBS! Ooh that's a good plan, I'm just deciding what tyres now [emoji12]

Where'd you come across them for that price?!

• Like 1

Just to help out, I've just bought some 195/50/15 BBS alloys for my Citigo which will be wider than the Citigo's 185/50 alloys that are currently on it. Once fitted I'll feed back to say what they're like.

010e6d65237ea8027e1c6e6b348f094f.jpg

Hope you checked they don't hit the track rods on full lock.