Some smoke when accelerating

Could anyone offer a little advice please I have an (octavia estate 2005 2.0 tdi 140 bhp dsg auto) she runs fine ticks over has it should pulls like a train if I rev the car up when stood still just gives that usual puff of dark smoke then clear but I have noticed when I accelerate hard it leaves a big ploom of smoke behind me I have started to notes it more when there is a car behind me and you can see the smoke in their cars headlights. I have been behind othere tdi cars in the past on the motorway and you can tell when they accelerate hard there is usually a puff of smoke and away thay go but there just seems to be a bit more smoke and for longer ?
Like I said before car starts and runs great just this smoke when under hard acceleration.
Cheers Kev.

It's probably just the car releasing all of the crap.

I used to have a Vauxhall Astra diesel 1.7cdti 100hp  (2006 one the last ones without the dreaded DPF) and it would always release all of the crap when under hard acceleration. It actually once failed it's MOT due to excessive black smoke and halfords tried charging me like £150 or something for some treatment. Before I took it back for a re-test I just left it idling (round the corner from the MOT place) outside revving the crap out of it until it had pretty much all gone and it passed. But anyways, I'm getting off topic here.

I'm guessing yours isn't fitted without the dpf and all the car's doing is getting rid of all of the soot that get's built up, It's quite common and I wouldn't worry about it. Am I right to assume your car spends most of it's running around town and doesn't get too much in the way of motorway type runs?

That black smoke is the one thing I really miss about my old dirty diesel, I used to love leaving people in a plume of black smoke if they'd been tail gating me.

However, I could be very much mistaken so I await further comments.

Thanks for your reply that all sounds about right she runs great but like you say just leaves the car behind in a ploom of sooty smoke and yes most of my driving is slow around town thanks for your input kev.

P.s if anyone else has a different opinion please feel free to add

Will do! I did a full service a short time ago doing all of the filters and both engine and auto box but I do remember that the oil I took out of the engine was very dark and I thought at the time maybe I should have used an engine flush ?

But I was told a good while ago that you shouldn't use an engine flush on a car with a turbo ?

If it is ok to use I will probable use one next service.i used the long life oil but I have always changed the oil in my cars every 5000 miles

Cheers kev.

It's normal.

Remember your car is now almost 10 years old. Some smoke when accelerating is to be expected, a burst of dense smoke on heavy acceleration, especially after a prolonged period of steady RPM is also to be expected.

You are doing the right thing, changing the oil regularly and by the sounds of it you are using the correct oil too.

My automatic 2002 BMW 320d after a long steady motorway run would leave a long black trail of soot on the road surface after a hard acceleration (and auto box kick-down), thanks in part to the downward pointing tailpipe.

How many miles has it done, diesels tend to get smokier the older and leggier they get through normal wear and tear.

As mentioned above it always looks worse at night against the following cars headlights through the rear view mirror.

She has done 127000 miles now, do you know if it is ok to use engine flush on my next oil change?

If so is there one that is best to use or are they all pretty much the same?

Cheers kev.

I wouldn't.

Skoda do specifically advise against using any oil or fuel additives, even though some of their franchised dealers still do!

An engine flush can cause more issues than it cures. Not all contamination is removed, just loosened which then flows around the engine causing more damage than if you've left well alone.