drilled and groves

Well after a wee inspection on the grinding I was getting turns out my front discs r done for.

What i was wanting to know is it worth the extra to upgrade to EBC Drilled and groves and of course green stuff pads.

It really depends what you use your car for if just road use then not overly worth it...but if you go for some track days and good sprinted drives then maybe worth it...I sell ebc brakes through company I work for

It really depends what you use your car for if just road use then not overly worth it...but if you go for some track days and good sprinted drives then maybe worth it...I sell ebc brakes through company I work for

Cheers for the offer mate I also sell them in my work as well lol.

I've had mixed reports from ppl if the upgrade was worth it or not, but Iv never thought about it till now.

Track I probably won't be doing ( maybe) tbh I use it mostly at weekends doing about 200miles during the week ya lucky if it does 50

• Like 1

Lot of haters for fancy discs here!

Drilled and grooved are fine on road cars.

Yep noise is a little more how ever I haven't noticed and change on brake pad wear.

Tbh everyone likes fancy brakes they look cool and if that's all that matters to you then fit them.

I've tried various discs over the years, plain, drilled, grooved, dimpled and I've found that plain discs with decent pads works best for me and I'm incredibly hard on brakes :D

Definately don't bother with the Green Stuff though, they're awful to the point that they're just dangerous.

• Like 1

Tried drilled and grooved both rubbish Ebc pads stay well away worst pads i ever used, pads came away from backing plate sent them back crap customer service.

I've never heard that happening with ebc stuff. We use to stock ebc a few years back that was our main pad and garages swear by them at the time

Well believe me i sent them back they ended up losing the pads convenient , got sick of emailing them ended up with some bloke called burt, a right numpty just tried fobbing me off so threatened them with the trading standards then offered me same crap Lol.

What a coincidence. Two users with very similar name styles pushing EBC brakes, both obviously work in the trade selling these items.

Call me cynical - but?

I will stick to Pagid brakes - they definitely work IMO.

I don't work in the motor trade - or sadly any trade at the moment.

Best to use what ever your happy with, some are better than others some cost a lot more than others, whats the intended use do you brake late a fast driver etc.

What mileage do you cover on which roads, there are a lot of factors each to there own. Dont knock people for disliking a certain brand because you feel they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Im not getting at you maverick your point is a very valid one, mintex discs and pads have been around a long time so must be doing something right i would say.

What a coincidence. Two users with very similar name styles pushing EBC brakes, both obviously work in the trade selling these items.

Call me cynical - but?

I will stick to Pagid brakes - they definitely work IMO.

I don't work in the motor trade - or sadly any trade at the moment.

Haha no not at all plus he Scotland and I'm poole.....I've been in the motor trade a long time and have a lot of experience with different suppliers in my time selling ebc I have had no issue as of yet to speak about but if you did read my comment correctly I did say theses things happen were parts are faulty have issue with them not matter who makes it. It just depends if your the unlucky one who has the issue... we stock and sell apec brakes at my company and I would stick by that yes pagid are good brakes but they are no where near as good as they use.to be when they got brought out by an Chinese company 15 years ago quality has dropped over the years but saying that all suppliers now are trying to find cheaper ways to produce product you see that in motor trade to any walk of life which is a shame as your still paying the price...

But it's all done to past experience and preferences so go with what you like I'm not saying anyone wrong or not we all like different things and different opinions otherwise my god we would all be boring

Edited by kjaybVrs
  • Like 1

Lol just happens to be a coincidence I'm not pushing any brand I'm just wondering if it was worth the extra penny's or not as kjayvrs says no matter what you buy ever brand gets its problems.

The main line brakes are brakeworld but I'm no a massive fan of them was going to go wae APEC or trw if not drilled

• Like 1

Well I use MTEC dimpled & grooved discs, front and back.  I mainly bought them for the sportier look, but also because you can ask them to be coated to stop corrosion at the edges and in the vented parts. There is no difference in noise levels to stock and they are great in the wet.

See http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/skoda/octavia-2004/octavia-vrs-2-0-tfsi-12-05-12-13.html

Regarding pads, the standard Bosch or Pagid work fine and last forever - my discs don't seem to have accelerated wear.

Years ago everyone used to swear by Mintex discs and pads. Is this not the case now? Times change and so does quality in a competitive market I suppose.

Yes exactly this, mintex is my first choice every time. Aothough pagid is the same company anyway.

I have Padgid on the front.  Came with the 312 brake upgrade.  After 40,000+ miles the pads are about 1/2 worn, the discs look as new, no grooves or lips.

The Apec fitted on the back by the supplying dealer are about ready for replacement.  They've done less than 60,000 miles.

Globalisation, don't you just love it.  I don't know who owns what, but a manufactures www showed a big list of brands last time I looked.

Drilled discs is legacy of bad brake pad compounds - today, it is just for tuners who like nice car. It's mainly for aesthetics.

I've learnt to brake racing style during my karting career. I can burn OEM pads in no time.

I'm not sure why everybody hates EBC but I never had problem with EBC green stuff, OEM discs on my Fabia 1.9TDi PD100.

Moved out of Scotland into Austrian alps - my last setup was ATE Powerdisc with Ceramic pads. It's decent upgrade over OEM ATE pads. It used to brake well on my Fabia 1.4TDi 59kW - only problem was boiling brake fluid. I've never tried racing brake fluid such as Castrol.

Grooved discs are designed for aggressive braking - grooves clean brake pads and release hot gases between disc and pads.

Question is, what do you expect from your upgrade? If you can't burn OEM pads - don't worry about upgrade. If you can burn them, look for better brake pads.

ATM, I am researching what to put on my new Octavia II 2.0TDi 103kW - you guess it right, I burnt OEM pads in no time and it takes some time to make them brake again. My next experiment will be Pagid S brake pads with standard DOT 4 brake fluid and OEM disc. If, I manage to boil brake fluid again...I'll use racing brake fluid. If, nothing works - I'll go for Porsche callipers and racing brake compounds.

BTW, ATE PowerDisc + ceramic pads is decent replacement for most people. Unless, you live in mountains and you break hard during the descent. I managed to boil brake fluid only by aggressive braking uphill followed by aggressive braking downhill. In lowlands, I never managed to boil brake fluid or burn pads.

That's the previous of last session when I've boiled brake fluid.

Last test was a temperature monitoring - I measured 270deg C (uphill) and 390deg C (downhill) on front discs.

Edited by sniper29a

Wow! Can't believe you uploaded that video.

Reckless speed in a built up area.it was posted as a 40 km limit no?

No thought for pedestrians or other road user

Terrible lines reducing your distance visibility.

No regard to property adjoining the road and the risk of vehicles joining with reduced visibility.

Bad overtake on the two cyclists, you should afford them as much room as a car not skim past their handlebars.

Driving like that will end up in a nasty mess. Speed is not the problem - appropriate speed and good roadcraft see to that. Unfortunately none of that are on display here.

The village and surrounding looked stunning. Your a lucky boy to live there. Fingers crossed you only spoil your day not somebody else's when you drive like that.

• Like 1

Wow! Can't believe you uploaded that video.

Reckless speed in a built up area.it was posted as a 40 km limit no?

No thought for pedestrians or other road user

Terrible lines reducing your distance visibility.

No regard to property adjoining the road and the risk of vehicles joining with reduced visibility.

Bad overtake on the two cyclists, you should afford them as much room as a car not skim past their handlebars.

Driving like that will end up in a nasty mess. Speed is not the problem - appropriate speed and good roadcraft see to that. Unfortunately none of that are on display here.

The village and surrounding looked stunning. Your a lucky boy to live there. Fingers crossed you only spoil your day not somebody else's when you drive like that.

Don't be scared - it is distortion of camera. it has got 130deg angle and everything looks gay ;-) It is also fitted on top left side, you can't judge how many place is really there - you can fit with an other car there :-D

Edited by sniper29a