170cr engine...so far. suppose what

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post here, as I am not yet a superb owner, I have done lots of research on all kinds of forums, 

parkers, honest John etc, and very impressed I am too.

I was originally considering a 1.6cr Octavia, but imo they just dont come near a 170cr superb, (road tested both btw).

I read a really interesting topic on here "dpf delete 170cr) in which Silver 1011 and Classic made some valuable comments.

I suppose what I'm trying to ask is .....just generally, what do people on this forum, who know better than anyone else, think of the 170cr.

Kind Regards.  Steve.

• Like 1

I have the 170 CR second generation engine (2011), and absolute love it. It's done 175.000 kilometers and only things wrong was a hole in the aircon condensator and a defect thermostat for the DSG cooling.

I have head bad things about the first generation but not the second.

• Like 1

I have the 170 CR second generation engine (2011), and absolute love it. It's done 175.000 kilometers and only things wrong was a hole in the aircon condensator and a defect thermostat for the DSG cooling.

I have head bad things about the first generation but not the second.

First post here and sorry to jump into your thread alvararosa, but I'm also looking for a superb and I'm going to look at a 2011 170 CR tomorrow.

Viperfreak, how can I tell if it will have the 1st or 2nd generation engine?

Thanks Vipor&Danny,   It seems to be more reliable than the old 170PD withDPF. I would love to hear more opinions from owners, hopefully Classic and Silver 1011 will be along soon, cheers. 

First post here and sorry to jump into your thread alvararosa, but I'm also looking for a superb and I'm going to look at a 2011 170 CR tomorrow.

Viperfreak, how can I tell if it will have the 1st or 2nd generation engine?

If the year of manufacture is 2011 with a 170cr, it is 2nd.

I looked at both 140s and 170s when considering what to purchase, and I can honestly say I could not tell the difference when driving them. I don't believe there is a significant difference in economy either, so although I purchased a 170 in the end it was certainly not the deciding factor. I was more concerned about spec, and I found it quite tricky to find a car with the right spec for the price I wanted and had to travel to get one. The 140 might be a bit cheaper to insure and tax, but again I don't think the difference would be enough to be a deal-breaker.

• Like 1

Hey Steve,

Both the CR140 and CR170 engines are very similar. I understand that the higher powered CR170 gets some minor mechanical changes such as different injectors but for all intents and purposes they are the same engine, with the CR170 being mapped via the ECU for a higher power output.

What is for sure is that both engines are now well proven for reliability. They have been used extensively across the VAG range and for the most part get very good reviews.

With regards to the DPF, unlike the older (and problematic PD170 engine) the CR170 was designed with the DPF in mind. As a result it works in harmony with the DPF and it also uses a catalyst to make the DPF's life easier and less stressful. The catalyst helps the DPF to get hot and stay hot without the need for as many active regenerations, i.e. the DPF on the CR170 is able to clear itself through passive regens (no intervention) much more easily.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid at buying one. I have the CR140 which is plenty fast enough for me. As I had cost and fuel efficiency in mind I went for the CR140 (more to chose from so more attractive prices and it is ever so slightly better on fuel than the CR170, I cover high mileage). Had a CR170 been available at the time I wouldn't have thought twice.

The only advice I would give, and this applies to any modern engine is replenish the oil as regularly as possible. The oil is the life blood of any engine. Sure modern oils and the latest engines are designed to last for longer between oil changes but I still like fresh oil at least once a year. The engine oil on the CR170 also lubricates the turbo so a few extra pounds on oil can reap long term benefits if the car is planned to be a keeper.

In other words go for it would be my advice!

• Like 2

I just got my 170 Superb this week and have been delighted with it. We used to have a PD 110 Octavia which was rather agricultural and currently have a Mazda 5 with a 140 TDI which feels very sluggish in comparison. Actually I traded in my 225 TT for the Superb and the torque of the 170 is such that I don't feel significantly short changed when it comes to mid range acceleration.

• Like 1

Hey Steve,

Both the CR140 and CR170 engines are very similar. I understand that the higher powered CR170 gets some minor mechanical changes such as different injectors but for all intents and purposes they are the same engine, with the CR170 being mapped via the ECU for a higher power output.

What is for sure is that both engines are now well proven for reliability. They have been used extensively across the VAG range and for the most part get very good reviews.

With regards to the DPF, unlike the older (and problematic PD170 engine) the CR170 was designed with the DPF in mind. As a result it works in harmony with the DPF and it also uses a catalyst to make the DPF's life easier and less stressful. The catalyst helps the DPF to get hot and stay hot without the need for as many active regenerations, i.e. the DPF on the CR170 is able to clear itself through passive regens (no intervention) much more easily.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid at buying one. I have the CR140 which is plenty fast enough for me. As I had cost and fuel efficiency in mind I went for the CR140 (more to chose from so more attractive prices and it is ever so slightly better on fuel than the CR170, I cover high mileage). Had a CR170 been available at the time I wouldn't have thought twice.

The only advice I would give, and this applies to any modern engine is replenish the oil as regularly as possible. The oil is the life blood of any engine. Sure modern oils and the latest engines are designed to last for longer between oil changes but I still like fresh oil at least once a year. The engine oil on the CR170 also lubricates the turbo so a few extra pounds on oil can reap long term benefits if the car is planned to be a keeper.

In other words go for it would be my advice!

That's absolutely brilliant Silver1011, just what I wanted to hear, I have my eye on 170cr locally, something may happen this week.

I owned an 07 Avensis D4D 2.0 124bhp for 4 years,it was very reliable and a great car, I sold it and bought a civic 1.8i-vtec, I want to go back to diesel, I just prefer the drive and pull if you get my drift.

What puts me off a later Avensis is the Electric parkbrake scenario.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I've had two 170s (you'd never guess from my username!) and I would certainly recommend the CR170. I've had a 2011 and now a 2014. Apart from a faulty EGR valve (not necessarily a 170 issue ) on my last one I haven't had any other mechanical issues.

In terms of performance and fuel economy, 170 is almost as much as you need in a FWD car and it makes overtaking much safer and effortless. The torque is great and is always on tap when you need it. It is the ideal engine given the size of the car and as Silver said above it is a well proven engine across numerous VAG models.

Fuel economy wise, I've always achieved late 40s/early 50s on mixed driving. I covered 120k kms on my last one and 40k kms so far on the L&K so I've put that particular engine through its paces at this stage.

Having said all that, if it was difficult to source a 170 I would certainly consider a 140 Superb over a 1.6 Octavia. The 140 isn't too far off the 170 in terms of performance. If are looking at 140s though just remember that engine was PD up to around 2010. BTW I've driven Octavias before and the Superb is in a different class!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've had two 170s (you'd never guess from my username!) and I would certainly recommend the CR170. I've had a 2011 and now a 2014. Apart from a faulty EGR valve (not necessarily a 170 issue ) on my last one I haven't had any other mechanical issues.

In terms of performance and fuel economy, 170 is almost as much as you need in a FWD car and it makes overtaking much safer and effortless. The torque is great and is always on tap when you need it. It is the ideal engine given the size of the car and as Silver said above it is a well proven engine across numerous VAG models.

Fuel economy wise, I've always achieved late 40s/early 50s on mixed driving. I covered 120k kms on my last one and 40k kms so far on the L&K so I've put that particular engine through its paces at this stage.

Having said all that, if it was difficult to source a 170 I would certainly consider a 140 Superb over a 1.6 Octavia. The 140 isn't too far off the 170 in terms of performance. If are looking at 140s though just remember that engine was PD up to around 2010. BTW I've driven Octavias before and the Superb is in a different class!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Superb170, another informative answer, I knew very little about Skoda/VAG until I started researching in the last few months ( I've always been an Avensis 2.0D4D man), and for the last 2 years a civic petrol, which will be the wife's when I get a Superb.

I'm looking at approx a 61/62/12 reg, which rules out a PD, probably SE or Elegance, and after having a road test in both I agree the Superb is better than it's little brother.

Cheers.

Got a 2011 60 reg Combi with 170 engine and no regrets at all. Now over 30k its just about run in and giving decent consumption, 63 indicated on a steady 200 mile run recently, so realistically, top side of 50mpg. Not bad for a big car.

Previously had Octavia with 140 engine and swapped for the Superb at 180k. 170 does pull well when necessary.

• Like 1

Got to agree with the above posters. I've had a 2nd hand 170 CR Elegance Superb for nearly 18 months and I love it. A big part of the enjoyment is the engine. It can cruise along comfortably at any speed you like, from 40 to 120 mph (that's the fastest I've had it and there was more under the pedal if you are that way inclned !!). No problems at all with the car in general and the enginein particular. Spent the previous 8 years driving TDCI Mondeos and the only difference I found was that you had to have the correct gear for the speed you are doing, whereas with the Mondeo you could almost pull away from a standing start in 3rd.

Can't comment on a 140 CR ( I think they are newer engines) but you won't be disappointed with a CR 170

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post here, as I am not yet a superb owner, I have done lots of research on all kinds of forums, 

parkers, honest John etc, and very impressed I am too.

I was originally considering a 1.6cr Octavia, but imo they just dont come near a 170cr superb, (road tested both btw).

I read a really interesting topic on here "dpf delete 170cr) in which Silver 1011 and Classic made some valuable comments.

I suppose what I'm trying to ask is .....just generally, what do people on this forum, who know better than anyone else, think of the 170cr.

Kind Regards.  Steve.

Hey, Let us know which one did you get finally?

Bought my cfgb 170 to replace a pug 406 and was fully prepared to have to go for extra drives to clear dpf warnings as I do a lot of very short journeys.

After two years I have never seen a dpf warning.

Far too much power for my liking, I nearly rear ended the car in front the first time that I did a foot to floor overtake. (pug was only 90bhp)

No mech failures.

Mpg for 1st 20k was 42 to 45 but now shows 49.5 (-10%). loaded up with tools too though longer journeys lately.

I have had Superb's with both power outputs and the 170 is the engine to have. I am getting rid of my 15 month old VRS on Wednesday going back to the Superb 170 an estate fully loaded cannot wait not impressed with the mk 3 Octavia I have missed the Superb it's simply a much better car even if it is getting on a bit.