Dan's MK5 Golf R32

DanGum

Good car, mate has a MK5 TDi the same colour, & he had a mare of a job getting all the swirls out from the previous owner...........

My other mate has a MK4 R32 again in black, not used & sitting in his garden...aarrggghh................needs some TLC but original! drives really good as I have done some work on it last year.

The problem with black it literally shows up everything lol. When the first guy detailed it I was impressed for a couple of weeks, then I realised he didn't actually correct anything he used a filler heavy product then a glossy final coat to make it look good. It soon all washed away and I was left with buffer trails and Holograms which peeved me off. A few other lads have had the same issue as me with him. Yet others say he is really good! But Tom has done a fantastic job on my car and weeks later it still looks good and also still beading very well.

I cant believe he got a MK4 R32 being unused! They have been rising in value lately so he wants to look after it as he could be making some money

Black does need proper prep and work, for sure. After 4 Black Magic Skodas I should know :)

If it is properly machined and sealed, it can be relatively easy to maintain, as long as you live with the fact that dirt and grime does show up easily. But when it's properly detailed, it won't get as dirty as quickly - and cleans off more easily too :thumbup:

Edited by Wardy
  • Like 1

Black does need proper prep and work, for sure. After 4 Black Magic Skodas I should know :)

If it is properly machined and sealed, it can be relatively easy to maintain, as long as you live with the fact that dirt and grime does show up easily. But when it's properly detailed, it won't get as dirty as quickly - and cleans off more easily too :thumbup:

Haha four?? I had 2 and thought never a black car again ha. Doh.

Yes I agree, I tend to use ph neutral snow foam, pressure wash off, then standard two bucket method, pressure wash off then dry with my massive monster drying towel lol.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lovely bit of kit mate and nice to see it getting such a pampering.....and really nice OEM mods. The bang up to date nav and reversing cam really nice touches....Eddie is a genius!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couple of things I've done lately. Firstly two of my headlight tabs snapped off so had to strip down the front end to get at them. Vw sell tab repair kits so must be a common problem.

I also replaced front brake discs and pads with oem ones. Weren't a bad job to do but didn't realise I needed a torx 55 bit so had to ring a mate and borrow his lol.

• Like 3

What tyres are you running on yours? I was looking at fitting Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's, do you know If anyone has fitted these to a R32 before? I cant seem to find any thing on the internet apart about them apart from Porsche owners talking about them...

Did my brakes, front and rear recently. I went for Genuine VW discs and EBC yellow stuff pads. Stops so much better now with much more feel. What brand did you fit to yours? 

What tyres are you running on yours? I was looking at fitting Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's, do you know If anyone has fitted these to a R32 before? I cant seem to find any thing on the internet apart about them apart from Porsche owners talking about them...

Did my brakes, front and rear recently. I went for Genuine VW discs and EBC yellow stuff pads. Stops so much better now with much more feel. What brand did you fit to yours?

I fitted good year eagle f1s to the rear and still running shocking nankangs up front as they was nearly new tread when I bought the car. I'm going to fit Goodyears to the front this year though.

I went for oem disc and pads all round mate. I've always stuck to oem just because I know they'll fit more than anything lol. I also got a good deal on oem for the fronts so swayed it for me. Still loving the milltek?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have just seen the Miltek is up for sale on R32OC? :(

It is mate, I'm in limbo whether to sell her and get something in the 300bhp + mark. But since I've put standard exhaust back on I've started to like it again. Been on a few long distance journeys lately and the noise wasn't great when trying to talk to people lol.

Had my first fault other day actually, air bag light came on when coming from Ledbury. Checked out the forums and they said common fault is the connector under the seat so I unbolted it and found the yellow connector had escaped its housing. The light came on after I went over a bump so may have caused it. I put it back together but needed Tim an ex forum user to reset fault on vag com. Touch wood it hasn't returned.