2015 Name That Car Game

PastyBoy

Yes and to be more specific the Franay.

3B63D386-0238-4155-B729-937DFEBC9699.jpg

I have a Franklin Mint model of it in my Living room. The actual car was sold in 2006 for $1.8 million. Interior is made out of Filipino Frog skin.

That is shockingly Fugly!

I have noticed previously that French 30's / 40's bodies always clash badly with upright RR or Bentley radiator shells.

The 30's versions of that body by Figoni et Falaschi (amongst others) look amazing on Talbot-Lagos or Delahayes, but on the Bentley the proportions are so wrong.

Admittedly the Pourtout body on the Embiricos 4 1/4 Special looks "fantastique" but that's one of the few French - bodied Brits that appeals.

How surprising the Franklin Mint modeled a car so lacking in aesthetic merit. ;)

That is shockingly Fugly!

I have noticed previously that French 30's / 40's bodies always clash badly with upright RR or Bentley radiator shells.

The 30's versions of that body by Figoni et Falaschi (amongst others) look amazing on Talbot-Lagos or Delahayes, but on the Bentley the proportions are so wrong.

Admittedly the Pourtout body on the Embiricos 4 1/4 Special looks "fantastique" but that's one of the few French - bodied Brits that appeals.

How surprising the Franklin Mint modeled a car so lacking in aesthetic merit. ;)

Completely agree not exactly the sexiest of designs. Btw the model is in my living room due to it being a gift from a friend no longer with us so sentimental more than anything.

However, coach builder encyclopaedia says this of it.

It is widely considered to be the most unique and valuable postwar Bentley on the planet and a Pebble Beach class winner.

This is the first major winning Concours d'Elegance car after WWII.

Winning the first two major Concours in 1948, back-to-back, on the 12th of June at Enghien and the 17th of June at Bois de Bolougne.

Mr. Gudol, the original owner and visionary of the Franay, was an industrialist whose sole purpose was to prove to the world that France was not only back from the rigors of war, but ready to reassert its dominance of haute couture and automotive design elegance.

The awards the Franay has won over the decades is proof of his timeless vision.

Mikek3111, on 01 Mar 2015 - 01:27, said:Mikek3111, on 01 Mar 2015 - 01:27, said:Mikek3111, on 01 Mar 2015 - 01:27, said:Mikek3111, on 01 Mar 2015 - 01:27, said:

Completely agree not exactly the sexiest of designs. Btw the model is in my living room due to it being a gift from a friend no longer with us so sentimental more than anything.

However, coach builder encyclopaedia says this of it.

It is widely considered to be the most unique and valuable postwar Bentley on the planet and a Pebble Beach class winner.

This is the first major winning Concours d'Elegance car after WWII.

Winning the first two major Concours in 1948, back-to-back, on the 12th of June at Enghien and the 17th of June at Bois de Bolougne.

Mr. Gudol, the original owner and visionary of the Franay, was an industrialist whose sole purpose was to prove to the world that France was not only back from the rigors of war, but ready to reassert its dominance of haute couture and automotive design elegance.

The awards the Franay has won over the decades is proof of his timeless vision.

I can see why it was considered stylish in France in 1948 - it was brand new, and French.

Equally I can see why it is liked in the USA - lol.  I'm living there currently and taste is something they don't have.

At Pebble Beach if it is rare and shiny it'll get a pot - regardless of how it actually looks!!

What other awards does it have?

Unique - yes, as if anyone would commision another!!

Valuable - agreed, someone paid a lot of money for it.

Franay did some horrid R-types as well eg the Bentley-Morris-Minor here:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/6108/Bentley-R-Type-Continental-Franay-Sports-Saloon.html

I think the black 48 drophead is so bad it rivals some of Hoopers most awful efforts on Bentleys postwar.

Edited by camelspyyder

re the green one - my Encyclopaedia of spam cars is at home in the UK and I already tried most of the GM cars in this series, apart from the Olds Cutlass.

I think the pic is of a '69 Pontiac GTO - The Judge?

re the green one - my Encyclopaedia of spam cars is at home in the UK and I already tried most of the GM cars in this series, apart from the Olds Cutlass.

I think the pic is of a '69 Pontiac GTO - The Judge?

Absolutely correct. It's the Judge.

0313622D-AD0B-4397-AE1F-3A5DB836F9BA.jpg

Edited by Mikek3111

Jesus, spot the space rocket is easier than some of these!

Agreed, some of the one-offs and show cars are damn near impossible.  I just look for cars that look like something else and crop the picture carefully - although leaving the Hyundai bonnet badge on screen after I'd cropped the grille badge was a bit of an error.