Are all FL models TSI?

Just want to check that this is 100% Chain driven TSI?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501029904097/usedcars?logcode=visc

Was going to go and view it on Saturday, but with all the reading on tensioner faults I've done, I'm a little nervous.  I'm even more so with it it being remapped, which would void any hopes of warranty.

Ha true - would be interested to see when he thinks that might be. Perhaps that is why he is shifting it on thinking it will need the belt done soon. Remap might put some off but could always be removed if you wanted it stock. If it was done by shark then you know it will have been a quality job.

Decent price for alot of car though. Don't let the tensioners put you off

At the end of the day you could buy any number of cars and find an issue that exists with the engine,  gearbox etc. If  you were really worried then you could get the part swapped or take out an extended warranty. 44 failures (when it costs so much to fix) is a problem but chance of this happening to you is still slim and SUK have been known to provide 100% contribution on parts for cars with a fdsh, 

Maybe this actualy car isnt for you but I wouldn't let it put you off completely 

• Like 1

Ha true - would be interested to see when he thinks that might be. Perhaps that is why he is shifting it on thinking it will need the belt done soon. Remap might put some off but could always be removed if you wanted it stock. If it was done by shark then you know it will have been a quality job.

Decent price for alot of car though. Don't let the tensioners put you off

At the end of the day you could buy any number of cars and find an issue that exists with the engine,  gearbox etc. If  you were really worried then you could get the part swapped or take out an extended warranty. 44 failures (when it costs so much to fix) is a problem but chance of this happening to you is still slim and SUK have been known to provide 100% contribution on parts for cars with a fdsh, 

Maybe this actualy car isnt for you but I wouldn't let it put you off completely 

I would always be worrying though.  This is very pricey, but if the price could be dropped to £6k, could this be worth a look?

Pre FL so TFSI engine, and no chain.  Ugly stereo but could geat a Skoda Zenec unit to replace it.

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604792069

To be honest if you have the money for a FL then that would always be my choice. IMO a nicer looking and better finished car in the whole and still good value. You could alway look at a diesel but then dpf issue etc. I think the point I am trying to make is that there are issues with any car you would look to buy. This hasnt become a big enough problem to reach general press and thats across the VAG range of 1.8/2.0 engines. While I would be nervous about a car that someone else had had remapped and the imapct this could have I would nt let it put me off totally if they knew what they were doing. Don't forget driving too much like a daisy can cause as many problems as driving like a loon.

I would always be worrying though. This is very pricey, but if the price could be dropped to £6k, could this be worth a look?

Pre FL so TFSI engine, and no chain. Ugly stereo but could geat a Skoda Zenec unit to replace it.

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604792069

There's nothing to say that the water pump won't fail and the belt snap, causing you thousands of pounds worth of damage...... as happened to my TFSI powered Leon Cupra.

I've got a TSI face lift Vrs now, which incidentally has just been mapped

To be honest if you have the money for a FL then that would always be my choice. IMO a nicer looking and better finished car in the whole and still good value. You could alway look at a diesel but then dpf issue etc. I think the point I am trying to make is that there are issues with any car you would look to buy. This hasnt become a big enough problem to reach general press and thats across the VAG range of 1.8/2.0 engines. While I would be nervous about a car that someone else had had remapped and the imapct this could have I would nt let it put me off totally if they knew what they were doing. Don't forget driving too much like a daisy can cause as many problems as driving like a loon.

Very good points.  It's more the fact that I cannot get warranty.  Whichever car I buy, be it VRS or Mondeo 2.5T, I'll be getting warranty.  Chances are  I won't have an issue but without warranty, I will not take the chance. :/

If I see another FL VRS for the same price that has not been mapped I will certainly check it out.  This problem has not put me off the TSI, but the lack of warranty has put me off that particular one.

I have a 2010 vRS with 41,000 miles on it.  For peace of mind, I've just paid £350 to a good VAG independent to uprate my cam chain tensioner to the latest version. To my knowledge there have been no failures of this type at all. When he looked at the cam chain itself, there was no evidence of stretching so we didn't change it (it is supposed to last the life of the engine): he just renewed the tensioner, cover and all associated bolts. £350 is much cheaper than one year warranty. I love the car and you will too if you buy one!  If you're worried, just book it in for a change out as soon as you get it. 

P.S. Stage 1 remapping has no effect on the life of the engine or clutch, adds 20% power + torque and doesn't really impact on mpg either. The only adverse effect would be extra insurance.

• Like 2

I have a 2010 vRS with 41,000 miles on it.  For peace of mind, I've just paid £350 to a good VAG independent to uprate my cam chain tensioner to the latest version. To my knowledge there have been no failures of this type at all. When he looked at the cam chain itself, there was no evidence of stretching so we didn't change it (it is supposed to last the life of the engine): he just renewed the tensioner, cover and all associated bolts. £350 is much cheaper than one year warranty. I love the car and you will too if you buy one!  If you're worried, just book it in for a change out as soon as you get it. 

P.S. Stage 1 remapping has no effect on the life of the engine or clutch, adds 20% power + torque and doesn't really impact on mpg either. The only adverse effect would be extra insurance.

Oh I get that, it's just the fact that it's modified it would get no warranty.  Change the part or not, I want warranty just in case as there is no way I could afford to pay even 20% of an engine rebuild/replacement...

Oh I get that, it's just the fact that it's modified it would get no warranty. Change the part or not, I want warranty just in case as there is no way I could afford to pay even 20% of an engine rebuild/replacement...

Buy from a trader? My TSI was bought from a local garage, came with a 6 month warranty on it, you will however oust a bit more than a private sale.

Or buy private and pay for one of these AA or RAC inspections

Buy from a trader? My TSI was bought from a local garage, came with a 6 month warranty on it, you will however oust a bit more than a private sale.

Or buy private and pay for one of these AA or RAC inspections

Happily,  I welcome you to find one at £7k or less at a trader :D

That was the plan for the one in Sheffield.

Where was this out of interest?