RPM and speedo needles not moving smoothly on fabia VRS SE

shane92w

Hello,

I have searched for information on this topic but I can't find anyone with the same problem.

I bought a 2007 Fabia VRS SE 1.9 tdi last week, the needles for the RPM counter and the speedo are visibly moving in small steps in stead of moving smoothly. My previous car was also a VRS and I didn't have this problem with it.

I think the car may have been clocked at some stage as I'm pretty sure the service history stamps are not genuine.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks for your comments in advance!

If you get the car scanned with VCDS that will give you the mileage recorded in the ECU.

This seems a very simple and accessible next step.

Let us know the outcome.

JRJG

Perhaps try posting this in the Fabia 1 section Shane.

Did you see the needle 'flickering' when you test drove it? Did you test drive it?

JRJG

I Didn't notice it when I test drove it, discovered it the next day.. I'll post in the fabia section next time!

Go to the site below and check the MOT history - which includes recorded mileages - for your car. If you get the car scanned with VCDS that will give you the mileage recorded in the ECU.

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECHID-Internet-History-Request.jsp

Thanks for the advice, I have got in touch with another member from my area who will hopefully be able to check the ECU mileage using VCDS in a few weeks. I'll be sure to post the outcome.

• 1 month later...

Here's an update (better late than never!), 

When I got the VC5 document through the post I rang VOSA and found out the car had done 240k in April 14, the mileage displayed is 95k so someone did some serious clocking!

I think the speedo and RPM needle flickering may be due to the mileage, its not a major problem so I'll just deal with it, I don't fancy spending too much money on the car at this stage. 

First question would be did you buy private or from a dealer? 

If private I'm not sure how you could go about trying to get some/all of your money back but if it's from a dealer then you should be able to.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/consumer_problems_with_the_car_you_bought_e/consumer_the_vehicle_you_bought_doesnt_match_its_description_e/the_car_you_bought_has_a_false_mileage_reading.htm