Garmin PID unit

Hyphons

I got told by the dealer that on first user these things code themselves to the car so they are no good in another vehicle or second hand.

I don't believe that's true, there's either A a reset option, or I've heard it auto codes to the car when plugged in, basically you can buy a VW Up! Unit with VW start up and all, but when you connect it to the Citigo it'll code itself to that ECU and do some magic stuff so it pops up with the Skoda startup, same with the Mii

I don't believe that's true, there's either A a reset option, or I've heard it auto codes to the car when plugged in, basically you can buy a VW Up! Unit with VW start up and all, but when you connect it to the Citigo it'll code itself to that ECU and do some magic stuff so it pops up with the Skoda startup, same with the Mii

+1 this [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it is ok to buy 2nd hand?

The start up screen may be different but that can be changed. I agree with those who say it autocodes itself.

Fred

This is the ebay description...

Brand New Portable Infotainment Device

Not needed, came with car but already have sat nav unit

Box is still sealed.

•Sleek, slim and lightweight design.

•Pan-European navigation in 44 countries and 25 languages.

•Widescreen display.

•Lane assist.

•Bluetooth hands-free calling including voice recognition.

•Connect up to two mobile phones.

•Media centre including Micro SD card slot (upto 32GB, SD card not included).

•A2DP wireless music streaming and image viewer.

•Connects to the cars CANBUS to display trip computer information including; speedometer, rev counter, temperature and visual parking sensor display (compatible with factory installed parking aid).

Fits:

VW UP!!

SEAT Mii

Skoda Citigo

SEAT Ibiza (Please check first)

These are approx. £300 from dealers, grab a bargain

*****************************************FREE POSTAGE!!!!!!! *****************************************

Did I see some of those on Crimewatch the other night :peek:

No seriously that is a steal, well done. :thumbup:

And yes the Ibiza uses the same, I saw one at the Seat dealer a few weeks ago.

Edited by MickA

• 1 year later...

I've already staked my claim to being a total geriatric technophobe, so no further apologies required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT, does anyone pleeeeeeease know just why I should have two symbols in red (the left hand two) on my Garmin PID?   I'm making an "inspired" guess as to the extreme LHS one, which looks like a prohibited left turn, as perhaps telling me (as if I didn't already know) that my phone isn't connected to the device, but as for the 2nd from the left (it looks like a miniature calculator showing red), who would know - certainly not moi.

So better-informed guys (& girlies) anyone able to shed any light??????????????????

And to slightly reciprocate in kind (wishful thinking on my part) one thing that I have found through sad experience on a few occasions, is that if I enter a destination the day before travelling there, whilst the destination will be retained, the voice vanishes.   The only way that I have found to rectify this, is to take the PID back to "Factory Settings": re-enter all the relevant requirements, and then enter the destination again.  That seems to work, but now, I don't try to steal a march on the PID, and only enter the destination when I fire up the clockwork immediately prior to moving off.     How weird!  

I've already staked my claim to being a total geriatric technophobe, so no further apologies required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT, does anyone pleeeeeeease know just why I should have two symbols in red (the left hand two) on my Garmin PID?   I'm making an "inspired" guess as to the extreme LHS one, which looks like a prohibited left turn, as perhaps telling me (as if I didn't already know) that my phone isn't connected to the device, but as for the 2nd from the left (it looks like a miniature calculator showing red), who would know - certainly not moi.

So better-informed guys (& girlies) anyone able to shed any light??????????????????

And to slightly reciprocate in kind (wishful thinking on my part) one thing that I have found through sad experience on a few occasions, is that if I enter a destination the day before travelling there, whilst the destination will be retained, the voice vanishes.   The only way that I have found to rectify this, is to take the PID back to "Factory Settings": re-enter all the relevant requirements, and then enter the destination again.  That seems to work, but now, I don't try to steal a march on the PID, and only enter the destination when I fire up the clockwork immediately prior to moving off.     How weird!  

The voice disappearing is a common glitch I discovered with my PID, I found on my device, if I mute the person talking, then quit the navigation altogether, when I go back into it later and re-navigate to somewhere else and unmute the nav, it doesn't unmute and I need to reset the device, if this is the case on yours and you've been muting it towards the end, try making sure it's unmuted before quitting and see if that fixes it.

As per the symbols please see below (page 22 - 26 in the manual)

5 Operating the navigation system

5.1 Information

The time is indicated at the top edge of many windows. When the device is mounted in the vehicle and the ignition is on you will also see the outdoor temperature.
Various information symbols are likewise located at the top of many windows.

GPS

The GPS symbol can show the following GPS reception status:

No GPS (No symbol): The built-in GPS receiver is not operational. Contact us if the problem persists. (Refer to "Questions about the product" on page 9)

Untitled_zps6y9x7odt.jpg  No Signal: Data is being received from less than three satellites. Position cannot be calculated.

Untitled_zpsoeolwxyi.jpg GPS Ready: Data is being received from at least 3 satellites. Position can be calculated.

For details of the GPS status refer to chapter "GPS Status, saving the current location" on page 86.

Track

The Untitled_zpsi1xk4zpa.jpg (Record Track) symbol indicates that a track is being recorded at this moment.

For more information about tracks refer to chapter "Tracks" on page 77.

Compass

The Compass symbol is available only in the map view. It shows you in which direction you are currently moving. It can indicate the following points of the compass: N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW.

- 22 - Operating the navigation system

User’s manual maps + more

Showing and hiding the Compass symbol

You can activate and deactivate the Compass symbol so that it is shown or hidden.

► In the NAVIGATION window tap on Options > Settings > Navigation.
► Scroll with the Untitled_zpsermgjwob.jpg (To the Left) and Untitled_zpsbukeyfnb.jpg (To the Right) buttons until you see the Display Compass setting.
The currently valid setting value is highlighted (red).
► Tap on the Untitled_zpsr0qgv9gh.jpg (Toggle) button to alternate between the setting values.
► Tap on OK.

Energy

The Energy symbol can indicate the following states of the integrated battery:

Untitled_zpsymciehyp.jpg The device is mounted in the vehicle and is being supplied with power from the vehicle. The battery is fully charged.

Untitled_zpsrra6me2v.jpg The device is mounted in the vehicle and is being supplied with power from the vehicle. The battery is in the process of being charged.

Untitled_zpshizoykuy.jpg The device is in the vehicle and is being supplied with power from the vehicle. The battery cannot be charged because its temperature is too high or too low.

Untitled_zpsnuxvvaev.jpg The device is being supplied by its internal battery. The battery charge is sufficient.

Untitled_zpsn3juycyf.jpg The device is being supplied by its internal battery. The battery charge is low.

Traffic Information (TMC)

The navigation system has an integrated TMC receiver which supplies up-to-date traffic information. Using this information the navigation system can change your route dynamically, for example in order to avoid a traffic jam.

Note: This function is only available if TMC traffic messages are being transmitted in the country in which you are travelling. This is not the case in all countries.

The TMC symbol can display the following TMC reception status:

Untitled_zpsv829eutf.jpg Tuning (in red): The TMC receiver is operational but cannot find a transmitter that is sending TCM signals. There are no active traffic messages.

Operating the navigation system - 23 -

Untitled_zps1a0gbcri.jpg Tuning: The TMC receiver is operational but cannot find a station that is transmitting TMC signals. Traffic messages are active however. This can be the case, for example, when travelling through a tunnel.

Untitled_zpsycq3hnep.jpg TMC on Standby (in grey): Traffic messages can be received.

Note: The TMC receiver uses the antenna of the car radio. The Tuning symbol may still appear therefore when the navigation device is not mounted in the vehicle.

For details of the TMC function refer to chapter "TMC (Traffic Information)" on page 89.

Traffic Information (TP)

The car radio can phase out the playing back of music or navigation instructions and have traffic messages announced instead when traffic information is available.

The TP symbol can indicate the following states:

No TP (No symbol): Traffic messages are not phased in.

Untitled_zpsjhcdr0il.jpg TP on Standby (white): Traffic messages are phased in. When the traffic message announcement has finished, the original audio source will be used again.

Untitled_zps0mxdon2h.jpg Tuning (red): The radio looks for a station which transmits traffic information.

Bluetooth / Phone

The navigation device has an integrated Bluetooth hands-free module. This enables you to use the device as a hands-free kit for up to two mobile phones with Bluetooth capability.

The Phone symbol can display the following states of the hands-free module:

No Bluetooth (No symbol): The Bluetooth function is deactivated.

Untitled_zps3enlq2nt.jpg Not connected (red mobile phone): The navigation device has no Bluetooth connection to another device.

Untitled_zpsbavglsd6.jpg Connected (white mobile phone): The navigation device is connected to a mobile phone and can be used as a hands-free car kit. The number indicates which of the two phones is currently active.

Untitled_zps99rs0ljo.jpg Call in Progress (green mobile phone): The hands-free module of the navigation device is being used for a phone call. The number indicates which of the two phones is being used to make the call.

- 24 - Operating the navigation system

Untitled_zpsuuxkrgou.jpg Headset: A headset is connected. All the instructions given by the navigation system are heard over the headset. The telephone functions of the hands-free module are not available.

Muting

The Muting symbol can indicate the following states:

No symbol: The navigation application is not muted.

Untitled_zpshjlmlek5.jpg Muting: The navigation application is muted. If the device is navigating at the moment, you will not hear any driving instructions.

Note: This icon indicates only the muted state of the navigation instructions. It says nothing about the volume of the hands-free module.

The procedure for regulating the volume is described in the chapter "Navigation in Vehicle mode", section "Volume", on page 65.

Logbook

The Logbook symbol can indicate the following states:

No symbol: The logbook is deactivated. There is no recording of trips.

Untitled_zpsefpwptko.jpg Logbook: The logbook is activated. Before each navigation you will be prompted to enter the necessary details for the logbook entry (reason for the trip, km total, …). It is possible however to suppress the recording of the trip.

For a description of the logbook refer to the chapter "Logbook" on page 93.

Media

When the navigation device is mounted in the vehicle and is being supplied with power from the vehicle, it can control the installed car radio. The Media symbol then indicates which audio source is active at the moment.

No symbol: The radio is off or the navigation device is not being supplied with power from the vehicle.

Untitled_zps7gtn3s4x.jpg FM: The current audio source is the radio. It is set to FM reception.

Untitled_zps3jkpf5i0.jpgAM: The current audio source is the radio. It is set to AM reception.

Untitled_zpsn6fezozp.jpg AUX-IN audio: The current audio source is an external device which is connected to the AUX port of the car radio.

Operating the navigation system - 25 -

Untitled_zpsvnms0mrp.jpg BT-Audio: The current audio source is an external device (mobile phone or smartphone) which is connected to the navigation device via Bluetooth.

Untitled_zps1jobp9g1.jpg CD: The current audio source is the CD which is inserted in the car radio.

Untitled_zps6buwwhbu.jpg SD card: The current audio source is the MicroSD card which is inserted in the navigation device

Hopefully that all helps, I had to get the information from the Maps & More device as I couldn't find an online manual for the PID, but the devices are practically identical so can't see that there should be any issues
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Ive just bought a secondhand skoda pid unit for my citigo and when it arrived all the onscreen instructions were in German!!!! I have tried to find out what to do to change it to English as its pretty well useless to me in German. Can anyone help with this???? I have downloaded the pid pdf instructions but it doesnt tell me how to do it..... PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP...IM GUTTED!!!!

Download the Garmin Fresh app from the Garmin website. Start the Fresh app, plug in your PID and perform a factory reset. IIRC the PID will ask you to choose your language when it restarts.