Rear window defrost - hatch

Hi guys. During this winter I saw that the rear window defrost is not working for the upper 3 defrost lines, the ones that cross the 3-rd stop lamp. Is this a normal behaviour? Did U notice this on your hatch cars?

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, with the top three elements not working working. And according to SUK these are for the radio aerial, but on closer inspection of the screen there appears to be no physical break between the heated rear screen section and aerial elements... Plus I'm more that a little surprised that a safety feature such as the high level brake light could be obsured when the rear window is iced up!!!

Is it really not visible? only thick snow would really block the light from it.... the heating elements are there to demist the rear screen. If the outside is obscured then there's a scraper inside the fuel flap....

• Like 2

Is it really not visible? only thick snow would really block the light from it.... the heating elements are there to demist the rear screen. If the outside is obacured then there's a scraper inside the fuel flap....

Good point. What if all the lights are iced over/ covered in snow. You can't blame the aerial for those. As neily03 says, take his advice.

.the 3rd stop lamp is not visible when it should be. This is a safety issue indeed.

That is a safety feature. If you have to get out to clear the brake lights, then you may as well do all the rest whilst you're at.

Simply Clever!

As others have said on the hatch the FM/AM and DAB antennas are provided via three of the elements in the rear window glass just how it is.

The estate is a bit different as the antennas are in the rear boot side glass, think one has the FM/AM one and the other DAB but cant remember without looking.

Someone on here posted a useful Skoda tech diagram showing the antenna positions on the O3 hatch and estate respectively maybe someone cam dig the link out or refer to that post?

Edited by pipsyp

I accept that the high level break light does not de-ice but this is no different to the main tail lamps. From inside, all elements visible through the rear view mirror are working, the radio wires are out of view, so I don't see any issue with the design personally, just looks a bit weird from outside for about 5 mins until the heat from the cabin clears it anyway.

• Like 1

I accept that the high level break light does not de-ice but this is no different to the main tail lamps. From inside, all elements visible through the rear view mirror are working, the radio wires are out of view, so I don't see any issue with the design personally, just looks a bit weird from outside for about 5 mins until the heat from the cabin clears it anyway.

The tail lights not defrosting on their own is a problem brought on by LEDs. Old fashioned tail lights have produced enough heat to keep them visible in most conditions.

And as for cabin heat defrosting the third brake light; that may be the case in mild weather, but it might not happen in a blizzard...then again since there's no way to defrost the tail lights either, you'll have to do it manually. Not so great safety wise...

It is not a safety issue because according to the Highway Code the driver must ensure all lights (including brake lights) are clearly visible, free from obstruction and operable before driving the car. It is merely a design flaw or quirk.

Edited by Orville

It can't really be a design flaw if the low level brake lights are also going to ice up, as in extreme winter conditions such as in Finland. I would agree its merely a quirk and something for the driver to be aware of before setting off in severe conditions.

...according to the Highway Code the driver must ensure all lights (including brake lights) are clearly visible, free from obstruction and operable before driving the car...

You can drive the car out of a warm garage, sparkling with a fresh coat of wax, and have it completely covered in ice after 30 mins of driving in the kinds of conditions I'm talking about.

I've had to clean a 10-15 cm layer of ice off the rear end of my Volvo during some trips in the Finnish winter...and yet the lights have been completely visible.

I'd love to have heated lights as an option in our conditions, since current lights don't produce enough excess heat by themselves.

Edited by kallekilponen