Stewpotz Mk1 Fabia vRS

Stewpotz

Paint stripper arrived today, god it is strong!!

Had 2 pairs of latex gloves and a pair of industrial gloves along with a long sleeve base layer and t shirt as well as a hoody to make sure none got on my arms

Took paint right off without any effort at all.

Pics will be up tomorrow when i get round to uploading them.

Have ordered myself some 15mm and 20mm spacers with extended bolts inc. locking bolts which will be here tomorrow, along with some poorboys wheel wax.

Should be getting spiders in the spray booth in the next day or so hopefully done by weekend so tires can be fitted start of next week

What paint stripper did you use? Hard to get decent stuff since nitromorse changed?

Edited by Eoghan

• 1 month later...

Well, finally decided to get my 256mm rears fitted, and you can tell the difference between those and the standard 232mm!
Car doesn't nose dive under braking anymore and stops dead, still getting used to where the new brake bite is as it also had a full brake fluid flush and 5.1 filled up.

Gave her a wash when i got back and polished the exhaust with some autosol (great stuff, best I have found for the job)

Rear anti roll bar painted as well and is ready to be fitted next week (maybe, depending on if I go for a drinking holiday to NI with a mate)

WP_20150910_17_36_50_Pro_zpsgsxzrnz3.jpg

WP_20150910_17_36_55_Pro_zpsdnjgbqk0.jpg

WP_20150910_17_36_59_Pro_zpstm4dqf1l.jpg

WP_20150910_18_06_47_Pro_zpsk5mqz5nl.jpg

Ohh come on... where are the pics of the alfas!! 

Car looking good tho man :)

Few questions if you dont mind ..

- Can you point me to in the direction of that stripper you used (on the wheels, not last Friday night)

- How many cans of primer/ paint for 4 alloys?

- Where to get paint from, is Halfords expensive/ crap or ok.. ?

The alfas might.... be fitted tomorrow, have a bit more money this month so will go and get some tyres fitted

this is the stuff i used, but ended up just getting them medium blasted as cba in the end but it did a really good job for what i did do.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAINT-STRIPPER-5L-CAN-HEAVY-DUTY-SYNSTRIP-SYNSTRP-NOT-STARCHEM-OR-NITROMORS-BODY-/151783198192?hash=item2356fbcdf0

would probably say 1 can of primer, paint and lacquer per wheel to give a good coating

• 3 weeks later...

Out with the old seats... and in with the nice new...

post-108825-0-17713900-1443601442_thumb.jpg

post-108825-0-96315400-1443601442_thumb.jpg

LEATHERS!!!

Seat Surgeon Retrims, drove down to Birmingham to pick them up from smithysmoo really nice guy, helped with fitting them for the drive home and WOW, they are so much nicer than the standard ones.

More slippy, but way more comfortable.

Got back home and finally had a look at why my rear brakes were squealing like a piggy, turns out my disk is not perfectly symetric/round, and the disk was rubbing on the anti squeal shims.  Took the shims off and also changed the pads for some EBC's slathered in copper slip and low and behold no more squeek!

Just need to change the front pads over now and fit my RARB now that i have found my hex kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Curbed a second alloy badly coming out of national tyre centre after finding a screw in the centre of my tread!

Alfa Supersport's will be fitted next month after payday.

RARB is now fitted!

bit of a fight putting it on as the new u bolts were slightly thicker than the holes on the clamps... Drilled out to 13mm and persuaded them on with a hammer.

WOW!

Steering is lighter and my car makes less squeaking noises over bumps now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Brembos fitted now, took 4hrs in all, 2.5hrs of that spent with scraped knuckles and swearing to get the lower carrier hub bolt off the 312 on one side (oh and a snapped spanner).

Think one of the pads is sticking slightly as I am getting a faint swiping noise when not braking and a louder rubbing noise when I do step on the pedal.

One hell of a better bite on these, barely even have to press down now to stop!

Slight bodge to get the hose to attach to the copper line as square hole and a larger circle hose end. Took for a spin and no leaked that I can see and pedal does not go to the floor indicating air getting in.

post-108825-0-75613100-1449501366_thumb.jpg

post-108825-0-35417000-1449501376_thumb.jpg

Ideally you need to file out the hole in the metal bracket on the inner wing to allow the braided hose to sit flush inside it. Its fiddly but do-able with a round hand file.

The copper brake line sits in much better then and it sits square in the bracket

Ideally you need to file out the hole in the metal bracket on the inner wing to allow the braided hose to sit flush inside it. Its fiddly but do-able with a round hand file.

The copper brake line sits in much better then and it sits square in the bracket

Thought as much, I just turned the metal clip spring thing upside down to stop the copper pipe coming down but also stops the hose from going up.

Think it has made a full seal anyway as the threads seem to be longer than those on the standard lines

• 1 month later...

Gave her a good wash, clay and quick BSD as running out of light.  Before this, had all wheels off and gave the arches/hubs a good cleaning.

Can you tell which side of the Alloy still has a load of CV grease...

post-108825-0-43342800-1453233004_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

post-108825-0-97364600-1455136635_thumb.jpg

Finally decided to remove my grill and spray the chrome surround.

post-108825-0-55508500-1455136686_thumb.jpg

post-108825-0-58494100-1455136687_thumb.jpg

Also decided to spray the grill its self, after taking a dremel to a couple of the fins to fit my new vRS badge (bolt through)

post-108825-0-89942000-1455136757_thumb.jpg

post-108825-0-09330100-1455136759_thumb.jpg

All primed, left near the radiator to dry overnight before giving it the top coat tomorrow before lacquer on Friday

Also sprayed my fog light surrounds (but forgot to take a picture).

Edited by Stewpotz

Grabbed the spiders from my mates and had them fitted with the toyo's

pics from before tyres

temporary_zpsklpgzozl.jpg

temporary_zpsgw96na6q.jpg

temporary_zps8flmvln0.jpg

Alfas

temporary_zpsoftjqczl.jpg

Will be fitting them tomorrow after cleaning up the excess lube from tire fitters and giving them a couple of coats of poorboys wheel wax

6 months and no pics with those alfas :(

6 months and no pics with those alfas :(

I know, keep kicking myself about it....

Once/if i get my cheque from highways england for refurbishment of my spiders, i will get them to put the tyres on the alfas instead.

Have been told 60-90 days before a verdict is made on my claim, but seeing as though it was a pothole on the M60 so a major motorway in the North West, I cant see why they could say that it was maintained correctly.

Grill and fog light surrounds now sprayed.

You can see the modification to the grill (which looks very nice with a satin black coating rather than the original) which allows me to fit the MK2 bolt through front vRS badge

New front and rear badges arrived yesterday, so hopefully will remove the paint from the centre of the grill surround tomorrow and fit the new badges.

AMAX coils greased up, top mounts mostly fitted (waiting on correct offset spanners to fully do up the nuts) before a mate is helping fit them

post-108825-0-05293900-1455633353_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, went out to change LCR brembos back to 288mm stock so I can refurb and paint.

Removing took 10 mins max from jacking up to caliper in my hands.

Fitting was a ballache as couldn't figure out how the pads sat in the shims... Finally figured it out after an hour of shouting and swearing.

And now the big OOOPS!

brembo brake line fittings are not the same as standard!

Trying to get my custom HEL lines to fit the stock brakes would not work!

LCR look like a m10x1.0 where as the banjo bolt fitting looks to be the same m10 but with a much greater pitch (1.25 at least).

So after much fluid everywhere, all over me, the drive and the calipers (which has ruined the paint) I admitted defeat and refitted the brembos and will have to look into getting some stock lines and banjo bolts :(.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to have a go at finding out why I was making a scrape over bumps and found out why..

Undertray not fixed at the rear. Duct tape to the rescue! And now all good :)

Also had a look at my egr as think it needs cleaning... Yep!
post-108825-0-84850800-1461168130_thumb.jpg

Also had a look at my console bushes as it had started to make squeak noises now and then...post-108825-0-70008200-1461168159_thumb.jpg

Are these the voided fabia ones?

Edited by Stewpotz