E39 M5 or 05/55 on Audi S4

billy2981

Hi guys whats the thoughts?

I really want another e39 m5 but I am also swinging toward the S4 4.2 V8.

I would rather the shape like the rs4 4.2 not the one previouse with the split front grill but would go for one if the condition is perfect and that.

Input needed please

Guest BigJase88

S4 4.2 V8 is a slug in comparison to the M5

I drove my mates S4 and wasnt overly impressed with the power.

Depends what you want. Do you want rear wheel drive and bags of go or do you want a fairly quick 4wd car that wont set the world alight

Wow

Cheers jase,

The s4 isnt a good looking car in comparison to the m5 thats for sure. They are 4wd so good security on the road. After bottling it in my last M5 showing i have no skilz at all when it comes to rwd i kind of like the idea of 4wd. But there is the power and the m5 was such a beast and very sure footed. Just i hit lots of diesel on a soaking wet road even going slow the car went on me and once they go they feel huge. Not driven the s4 but may need to try one or 2 and see.

I mainly want something a good size thats fun and got a V8. The noise of the M5 with a muffler delete or sport back boxes is epic not heard the s4. There also is the thing that the M5 is THE best e39 where the S4 isnt, but I cant afford a RS4

After bottling it in my last M5 showing i have no skilz at all when it comes to rwd i kind of like the idea of 4wd.

Did you have the stability control partially or fully disabled? I find it's very intrusive when on but it's a good idea to keep it enabled if you have limited experience of powerful rwd cars.

Have you considered investing in some extra road driving tuition, the kind that is geared up to driving powerful cars? Examples include the High Performance Course and Ride Drive.

I mainly want something a good size thats fun and got a V8. The noise of the M5 with a muffler delete or sport back boxes is epic

I've been thinking that an e39 540i should be good as well, although trickier to find manual examples.

It's funny you started this thread as I'd been eyeing this one up near me the same day you posted.  It's about a mile from my house and I know of the owner and that he is is OCD about his cars.  If I had the finances then this would be on my drive for sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-M5-5-0-V8-2001-Anthracite-/131401099413?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1e981da895

Haha been eyin that one.

Its ok but not 9.5k worth. Needs som rust bubble sorting and the front seats are not original, its on coilovers and its got a x pipe meaning loss of power and drone. Brakes are good tho.

The rust would need to be sorted for that price I agree.  If he spent a few hundred getting it all looking nice then the asking price wouldn't seem as excessive.  What sort of budget are you thinking of for one of these?

• Like 1

I am starting to swing toward the s4 now as they are more modern and they wife likes them. She thinks the m5 is old lol.

I have 7 this time. Its only a toy and tbh I shouldnt really get one nor do I really need one but after the first M5 I just fancy one. First one cost 7800 and really wasnt worth it despite me being 3rd owner and very low miles with fbmwsh it cost me a fortune in parts and there were still lots of outstanding issues to do for it to be worth it hence this time I am more careful. I do think they are well overpriced and yes a good one as in mint low miles with everything done and replaced as preventative not when needed then yes they are worth circa 10k+ but pretty much all the ones on ebay and at are not worth what they are fs for hence why they been fs for ages.

The anthracite one is lovely and tbh if the body was sorted spot on and the oem seats were in it 9k would be good if there was nothing else wrong and the suspension parts were all new ish and not showing signs of sloppy nest.

The wife might solve the dilema tho and tell me she is pregnant, that will sort it for sure.

Depends on if you're driving it everyday or not.

If you are then either car is fine and you will find yourself enjoying whichever one you get at times, if it's something special to keep then without a doubt go for the BMW.

The E39 M5 is going to be classic pretty soon where as the S4 will just fade into nothing. Get the M5, keep it mint and don't put many miles on it.

that's why I went for the M5 I got first, would of been worth a bit once I got it sorted, but tbh my name isn't Lloyd lol, I like to drive my cars (nothing against you mate, you have the mintest mk1 Octy about) so Miles don't bother me, I buy a car for me not the next owner. 

I want something as a special drive for us to go places. Just get in the car and take a drive and see where we end up.  Last drive we went on I did circa 300 mile just pootling about in the hills of wales lol. saw some lovely places.

the trouble with the E39 M5 is that everyone seems to be getting on the wagon and thinking that their car is worth more than it is and thinking its mint when its not. There is one up for 13k, youd think its a minter BUT, lol it wont ever sell as its a rust bucket and imo worth 7k max just because of miles its done, that's if its good mechanically sound.

Ill find one some time.

What other good sporty v8 powered cars are there out there?

• Like 1

The mg is not an option really cheers.

Can get more power from a 1.8t with hybrid and some work and use it daily with good eco.

Plus mg fall apart. Sounds epic tho.

Love the e46 m3 but only in coupe form and if pushed they shred the rear subframe mount points and the boot falls out lol. Plus you gotta rev them for the power and drive them where I dont drive hard and I like the low down grunt of the V8. Thats why I like my fabia vRS

• Like 1

Doesn't the Audi V8 suffer from massively expensive engine-out belt changes/tensioner failures, or is that an internet myth?

I'd go for the M5 personally, but watch for rust - inc. under the sill covers.