Cold start problems.

Have an 07 plate PD170 engined octavia. It hates the cold and simply will not start.

Anyone else experienced similar?

Will a new battery solve it or is there a (bigger???) problem elsewhere?

Cheers.

Bigger issue im afraid, I suffer with my VRS as do many others on this forum and on the VW forums too.. seems to be a common issue with VAG engines (PD170) 

My car seems to have been a problem since the injector recall and feels less powerful too!! tried new battery and although marginally better its not fixed it.. 

Ive heard rumours of it poss being a crank shaft sensor but unconfirmed so far!!

save your money replacing glow plugs etc, apparently not the issue.. im sure people will chime in on this soon... but keep cranking it over without throttle and it will start and run lumpy for a bit then sort itself out

Same/similar problem.

Could be

Coolant temp sensor

Fuel delivery/pressures low

Engine compression low

Glow plugs not working correctly

Leak in fuel system

Water in fuel filter

Priming lift pump when drivers door is open not working

Tandem pump broken

In tank electric lift pump

Temp sensor two separate elements

Camshaft sensor

Crankshaft sensor

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/339123-cold-starting-issues-running-out-of-ideas/

• Like 1

If I understand it correctly, the PD170 is the worst that man can wish their enemies ?!  :notme: 
50% of the post consists of the problems with this engine and always adds 'common' problem. People continue to climb the same mistakes and asks the same questions. Each manufacturer commits an error, and the error from VAG is PD170 engine. Maybe think about before you buy them? 

@ silver1011 Now I look forward to cursing on the opening of a new post on an old theme.  :giggle:

Same/similar problem.

Could be

Coolant temp sensor

Fuel delivery/pressures low

Engine compression low

Glow plugs not working correctly

Leak in fuel system

Water in fuel filter

Priming lift pump when drivers door is open not working

Tandem pump broken

In tank electric lift pump

Temp sensor two separate elements

Camshaft sensor

Crankshaft sensor

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/339123-cold-starting-issues-running-out-of-ideas/

You forgot an air in fuel system...common after fuel filter replace ;)

@ silver1011 Now I look forward to cursing on the opening of a new post on an old theme.  :giggle:

Haha! :D

Nothing more to add other than the cold starting issue on my PD170 (also after the injector recall) was enough to me to cut my losses.

For what its worth my local Skoda dealer had my car on and off for almost 8 weeks, changed and adjusted several parts (totalling thousands of pounds), they even hooked it up to the internet so that Skoda in the Czech Republic could take a look at the results.

"Nothing more we can do sir, you'll have to wait until it gets worse." I didn't wait.

• Like 1

This subforum really does make for sad reading these days with all these post-recall PD170 problems. I hope you guys get some resolution at some point. It's such a shame - I LOVED my remapped PD170 before the injector recall.

So off the back of all this cold start issues because of injectors would it be worth starting a thread based on those having issues so we can get an idea for how many people are suffering? and then take this to Skoda??