Recommend me everything I need to care for my exterior

Stewpotz

All other cars were given the eastern european treatment, but want to make sure my fabia is looked after properly.

quite literally need recommendations on everything from snow foam & lance to waxes and polishes and also protectors etc.

Most important is the cleaning process buddy as this is where damage is inflicted. Every time a car is washed, it is scratched. The amount of damage depends on how careful you are buddy.

So, two buckets, a wash mitt, shampoo ( I use wolfs chemicals white satin, free delivery from polished bliss) and a drying towel (kent drying towels are decent and reasonably priced).

Snow foam lances are much of a muchness. Take a look around, but polishedbliss, cleanyourcar, autobrite etc are all good retailers.

Snow foam wise I use bilt hamber autofoam. Decent cleaner.

Polish/All in one, a decent starting point is autoglym SRP, but autofinesse tripple is too.

A good place to start with wax is collinite 476s and Finishkare 1000p.

Round foam applicators are all over the web for the wax and microfibre applicators for the all in ones.

Its a massive minefield though. Some other lads will be along to help you out I'm sure

• Like 4

Eastern European treatment.

? What's that?

Hand car washed, all the ones towards the airport are all owned/run by eastern Europeans and it just stuck from a friends description

Cheers hunty, good start. Do have an AG care package my mum got with her car so might see what is in there

so this is how i should clean:

Pre-wash to remove as much loose dirt/grit as possible

2 bucket wash, 1 bucket water+shampoo and the other just water to rinse the cloth in

dry with drying cloth

polish to remove swirls and paint defects

wax to seal the top coat so grime does not affect paint

• Like 1

so this is how i should clean:

Pre-wash to remove as much loose dirt/grit as possible

2 bucket wash, 1 bucket water+shampoo and the other just water to rinse the cloth in

dry with drying cloth

polish to remove swirls and paint defects

wax to seal the top coat so grime does not affect paint

Spot on, there are other processes as well such as tar remover, iron remover & claying. But that's only really needed once a year. Edited by NorthernMonkey
  • Like 2

And as for products we would all recommend different ones as we all have our own favourites, I think you should make up your own mind especially when it comes to LSP as this will be the most fun for you too.

• Like 2

And as for products we would all recommend different ones as we all have our own favourites, I think you should make up your own mind especially when it comes to LSP as this will be the most fun for you too.

Agree totally, to the OP try & get a few samples & try them. You'll soon find what you like :thumbup:

• Like 1

I've recently done exactly as you, and read everything I could find on detailing world. I've ended up with a full procedure as follows (brackets are what I've bought, there are loads of options for each of these and I can't personally recommend any as my car doesn't arrive until next week :) ):

Rinse using pressure washer (got a cheap Nilfisk in an Amazon lightning deal)

Spray with snow foam (Bilt Hamber auto foam, via an Autobrite HD snow lance)

Rinse

2 bucket method, with grit guards in both buckets (Dodo juice Born to be Mild shampoo)

Rinse

Clay (CarPro cloth plus Iron X Snow Soap as lube)

Rinse

Polish (Poorboys Black Hole)

Seal (Armor All Shield)

I'm intending to do that lot at least every 6 months, with just the first 5 steps every couple of weeks.

Edited by Lung
  • Like 2

Yeah samples are the way to go until you find something you really like. Otherwise you will end up like most of us on here £££'s if not ££££'s spent on waxes which you couldn't use in 2 lifetimes.

Dodo juice range do some cheap lsp samples and you can get a sample pot of my favourite Hellshine abyss paste version.

Enjoy it, it's a theroputic hobby.

• Like 2

I would suggest alongside cleaning chemicals like pre-wash and shampoo and any other products you fancy, you should take a look at some of the named suppliers above and invest in some good wash media like a mitt, some good general purpose microfibers and a few plush ones including a drying towel. Also as above some good product applicators.

• Like 3

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the Meguiars lambs-wool mitt I bought for doing the top half of the car, and I already have a microfibre noodle mitt for the bottom half. I got a cheap pack of 10 300gsm microfibres off Amazon too.

• Like 2

+1 on the above from sparkly. The cloths etc you use on the car will make a massive difference to how much damage you do each time you wash it. As most on here I always try to get as much muck off before I touch the car, so jetwash (but use a soft fan) then citrus pre cleaner if really dirty followed by snowfoam. At this stage fill up your 2 buckets I use AG shampoo conditioner but again this is personal choice. I use a Dooka sheepskin washmit rather than a microfibre mit, but again get a top quality product. I use a seperate microfibre mit for the sills and the smaller Dooka wheel mit for the wheels. To dry I use a Wooly mammoth which is about as good as they come, with a couple of the large Kent drying towels to finish off. The twice yearly re LSP application involves use of tardis, iron x and a farecela clay mit. What LSP you use depends on personal choice. Many including me now use Autobrite Hellshine Abyss, the spray is easier to use than the pot and it should last up to 6 months, especially if you top up with their QD every couple of washes. Good quality microfibre cloths and applicators are a must. I use some very soft orange mf polishing cloths to remove the LSP once its cured as recommended by Chris and for general purpose the kirrkland ones from costco are good. For your wheels carbon collective wheel sealer is a ceramic one that will last up to 2 years and makes cleaning the wheels the easiest I 've come across- you can just use normal shampoo, no need for special wheel cleaners. Finally if you don't already have one Nilfisk are most peoples choice for jetwashes and 2 decent sized buckets (10-15l) and grit guards for your 2 BM. Get light coloured ones so you can easily see if the water is getting dirty. If you have any money left buy SWMBO a bunch of flowers! All the above is from what I 've learned from this forum.

• Like 1

Or.... As your in Manchester just get yourself over to Chris RS, he'll show you how.....

Think this will be what I will be doing, need to fit it in around when he is free and interviews with jaguar land rover
  • Like 1

Thanks Ade...Word of mouth counts for a lot!!

PM me Stewpotz and we'll have a chat

ChrisRs Detailing

if I'd thought it through I could have just submitted the 2nd post and saved a lot of typing on my tablet!

• Like 1