decat or not to decat ?

Thinking of getting a decat for my vrs (which ive not even picked up yet) . Just wondering if it would make any difference as the car is completely standard . Ive ordered pd160 intake bits ready to go on but thats all for now . Any help will be appreciated .

i woundered this wether it would throw up faults or run really lean because of the lamdas ect ect?

It's a DIESEL Aaron, no Lambdas, no running lean, that's Petrol talk which is why a decat is a total waste of time along with the PD160 intake.

• Like 2

It's a DIESEL Aaron, no Lambdas, no running lean, that's Petrol talk which is why a decat is a total waste of time along with the PD160 intake.

Alright HAHAHA!!! What a wally!! im relitavely new to the diesel cars!! :nerd:

So in that case, if you wanted a decat and a straight through pipe - no remap needed?

Whats the best mod I can do first . I have £250 to spend .

312mm calipers and a RARB. Will handle better in the corners with a stiffened up back end, and the 312's will give better braking, thus allowing you to brake later and be quicker ;-)

From a 'performance' point of view a de-cat and PD160 air intake are a waste of money on the standard turbo. Won't really see any tangible gains. 

My money would be on improving the handling first so a Whiteline RARB and console bushes (cupra or powerflex) should be doable for your budget, less if you're handy and can DIY fit them. 

After that a good remap transforms the power delivery of the car and you could lower it a little if you want to improve the looks. Springs are the cheaper route but AP do a very good spring/shock kit which lowers ~25mm for around £260 mark. 

To fit the 312 front brakes do I need the calipers and carriers or just the carriers as I think I have some at work in my tool box that I was gonna use on a mk4 golf . Obviously I'll need the discs and pads but can I get away with just the carriers ? . As for fitting things like console bushes , rarb and other things I will do myself as I am a m.e.t ( mechanical electrical trim) technician for a bodyshop so I can fit more things into my £250 budget .

You need the carriers and the calipers. Though we have 288s and some Golfs have 288s, their calipers are different. So although they can just get disks and carriers, we need the calipers too.

Thanks for that mate . I'll be on the look out for some .

New MOT rules if a car has been decat it will fail

There is no CAT test on a derv, it just needs to look like a CAT is physically fitted  ;)

So you just buy a dummy cat, job done :)
  • Like 2