DSG Gearbox Service

About to do a deal on 2011 61 plate Superb Estate 170bhp with 44k on the clock, dealer (not the best at communicating) will be servicing the vehicle, asked today has the car had a gearbox service as it is due at 40k, to which they have replied if it hasn't they won't be doing it!

My question is that the car I am purchasing is supposed to be a Approved Skoda vehicle with full service history can I get them to do it for this simple reason?

Well you know what to do ! If they won't service it , refine your offer to reflect the lack of service history

• Like 1

Well you know what to do ! If they won't service it , refine your offer to reflect the lack of service history

With the DSG issues and history thereof within the VAG group; i would probably walk away - unless the dealer improves their communication and overall efforts to ease your concerns on the service history!

Problem is that I have sold my car, cannot be without any longer, hunted for while and found this nice and tidy, just the dealer is a complete **** is worth taking the risk? I will be getting 12 months warranty, but will be worth anything? Am I right in saying that they cannot sell the car as a Approved Skoda if the car has not been serviced according to the manufacturers schedule? As I know if I were not to adhere to it they would turn me away.

You are correct!

If you drove the car off the forecourt and the gearbox went bang a mile down the road a warranty claim could then be turned down as the gearbox was nor serviced to the recommended schedule.

I would give them 2 options. Either do the DSG oil change before you pick it up FOC or they knock of £170 for you to pay for it... either way they're paying in my eyes!

Phil

• Like 1

If you are set on the car, get them to mark the service book " Dealer REFUSED and failed to carry out service to DSG gearbox prior to delivery as per manufactures schedules" .. Then get them to drop there price to cover the service, and put in writing on letter headed paper they refused to do it... 

Then speak to Skoda... :)

Edited by stuarttunstall

That won't swing Stu, he'll have even less of a claim as he'd knowingly have been driving it knowing it needed one to keep the warranty solid,

Best option is neg £200 off the screen and have it done elsewhere or walk from it, it's a £5k gearbox to choose wisely.

Hi Guys,  after quite a heated conversation with the sales manager the dealership has agreed to carry out the gearbox service at their cost. He kept stating that the gearbox does not require a service as its a sealed unit, in the end i phoned Skoda UK who confirmed the sales manager that I was in fact I was correct that gearbox should be serviced at 40k intervals.

Picking up the car on Friday afternoon after getting them to fit new front tyres, 12 months road tax, major service, full valet with a steamed cleaned interior as it has Ivory leather and a full set of mats, along with a little of bodywork damage which was spotted on the nearside cill.

Hi Guys,  after quite a heated conversation with the sales manager the dealership has agreed to carry out the gearbox service at their cost. He kept stating that the gearbox does not require a service as its a sealed unit, in the end i phoned Skoda UK who confirmed the sales manager that I was in fact I was correct that gearbox should be serviced at 40k intervals.

Picking up the car on Friday afternoon after getting them to fit new front tyres, 12 months road tax, major service, full valet with a steamed cleaned interior as it has Ivory leather and a full set of mats, along with a little of bodywork damage which was spotted on the nearside cill.

Was this a Skoda dealership employee telling you that the DSG does not require a service??? If so i think i would be reporting that member of staff to not only his dealership principle but also to SUK themselves!!! Name and shame.... Name and shame... ;)

Glad you have got it resolved though in the end.

I was also expecting conflict with regard the cambelt on mine. Had it confirmed by SUK that mine is 5 yearly rather than 4 yearly but the dealership said 5 yearly too when asked anyway. :)

Edited by WaveyDavey
  • Like 1

Omsbham,

Sorry to sound negative but I would be tempted to take it to another Skoda garage if possible, after "the service" to have it checked.

This is how I would feel based on how they have been so far, to me it would be worth an hours labour for piece of mind.

Edited by Danny 57

Omsbham,

Sorry to sound negative but I would be tempted to take it to another Skoda garage if possible, after "the service" to have it checked.

This is how I would feel based on how they have been so far, to me it would be worth an hours labour for piece of mind.

I don't think they would risk it do you?!

If they say they've done it and record it in the car's history then shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Phil

That won't swing Stu, he'll have even less of a claim as he'd knowingly have been driving it knowing it needed one to keep the warranty solid,

Best option is neg £200 off the screen and have it done elsewhere or walk from it, it's a £5k gearbox to choose wisely.

What I mean't was the dealer accepts all liability ... :) 

Got the car on Friday late, all good apart from a scrape on the nearside sill!  :devil: also car not showing up on road tax site as taxed even though I had a receipt stating that it had been taxed.  Dealer will take car back this week and will get body damage sorted.

Had a drive up to Blackburn on Saturday and was very impressed with the overall experience.

• 3 months later...

I have little faith in dealers these days, especially independents. A few years ago I purchased a vehicle on the condition that they would change the oil/filter, spark plugs air filter, etc. My doubting mind made a note of the existing spark plug manufacturer (strange Japanese brand), and condition of air filter and oil. Sure enough there was no evidence of any work being done when I collected the car. They claimed it had, and told me “oil can go black overnight”, that they had stock of the same brand spark plugs. I told them they were full of ****, and would be spreading the word. So, my advice is the same as above, get a discount and get the work done elsewhere.