Octavia Scout 150bhp ordered.

Spoke to the dealer and the Scouts getting built the second week in March with delivery expected the middle of April.

Brian.

Still a while to wait then. I got word a couple days ago that we'll get our Elegance in less than two weeks!

This might not be the place to ask, if not feel free to ignore me.

This is not a criticism but out of genuine curiosity / potential future financial knowledge, what benefits does a lease have over a PCP ?

I struggle to get around the fact the car will never be yours, so won't help as PX on the next car ...

This might not be the place to ask, if not feel free to ignore me.

This is not a criticism but out of genuine curiosity / potential future financial knowledge, what benefits does a lease have over a PCP ?

I struggle to get around the fact the car will never be yours, so won't help as PX on the next car ...

You have absolutely no depreciation concerns whatsoever with PCH. PCP, if you want to change the car early you can but with the O3 on PCP you'll probably find yourself in neg equity for the first couple of years at least (unless you placed a massive deposit...which of course will have just been burnt anyway).

PCH....you are frankly more tied in and have to place a reasonable size deposit on the vehicle as part of the payment terms (often 3-9 months worth of payments) which of course you dont stand a chance of seeing again. Early settlement is often a very costly charge (a percentage of total rental) so taking on a PCH where you know your personal circumstances could easily change in due course isnt v wise...same could be said for a PCP but less so and there are more options to move on the vehicle (voluntary termination, selling it etc).

Also with PCH unless you become v pally with your lease company you wont ever have the oportunity of owning the car...wven if you do you'll likely have to pay over the odds for it. With PCP the car is registered in your name and can become entirely yours at the end of the term of you choose to pay the baloon.

Easiest way to think of PCP is as back-end loaded HP...you pay minimal monthly payments to pay off a proportion of the vehicle cost (rather than all of it) at the end of the term theres the oportunity of guaranteed buy back from the finance company (writing off the finance), paying off the baloon and owning the car (same) or possibly trading it...whatever profit is left in the vehicle if any becomes yours to put down on another vehicle.

Edited by pipsyp

PCP I can understand :)

Ok no depreciation worries on PCH, but if you have it over 2 years you pay out not far short of 6k looking at O.P.'s figures.

At a guess based on pricing of used examples, I will be somewhere around 8k depreciation over 2 years.

So that's a plus for PCH, but on the flipside I would have a car to use as trade in if I wanted to replace, or to own for 2-3 more years with (hopefully) little expense outside of fuel and tyres.

Or am I still missing something ?

Firstly you need, as always to do the Maths. But if you look out of the 'sweet' lease deals, they best PCP hands done. The ownership thing is overdone! On PCP you don't own the car until the ballon payment is made, granted you options to get out are available if needed. However the cost of this in the early years is likely to cost you dear. Lease deals benefit from massive discounts from the manufacturer to off load specific model or ranges of cars. They don't for PCP. The taxation for a leased car in the hands of the leasing company has a benefit to the overall monthly cost as well.

With a lease you send the car back, choose another car, you are not concerned with trade in values or staying with the same make. Therefore if you change every 2/3/4 yrs a sweet price lease deals looks a winner on most occasions, next time might not be Skoda but a Seat or Mercedes. If you keep your cars for years then outright will be cheaper. Doing the maths by comparing each deal will give you the answer.

• Like 1

Interesting thread, learning lots here (even if it is off topic).

I always thought lease was aimed at business users. Are there any leasing companies that deal well with non-business customers especially well? I take it I can't go lease using my local Skoda dealer?

(yes, I'm clueless, always bought my cars new, except my latest car which is on PCP - that was quite a leap for me but I'm happy with the arrangement).

Lots of companies do it, i started looking at freedom contracts as they had a good deal on the scout, i have spoken to several skoda dealerships now with varying results in helpfulness!

Interesting thread, learning lots here (even if it is off topic).

I always thought lease was aimed at business users. Are there any leasing companies that deal well with non-business customers especially well? I take it I can't go lease using my local Skoda dealer?

(yes, I'm clueless, always bought my cars new, except my latest car which is on PCP - that was quite a leap for me but I'm happy with the arrangement).

• Like 1

Black Scout looks great.

But I can't see myself ever being prepared to keep black looking its best.

Good luck with that :)

Australian Scout specs have finally been released. But not the pricing. Getting closer.

Edited by AUSKOUT

Mirrors are brushed matt finish and match the roof rails so look good. Black looks great clean but wasn't my choice but was the only one they had coming in without loads of extras I didn't want. As for the v50 sport - I don't know the answer to that, sorry. Will let you know on tyre sizes.

Deal is still on as of today - walked into local dealer and asked for PCH quote on a scout, after looking at the new Fabia and he almost fell over seeing the figures, as he didn't realise they where this good - 1200 deposit, 198/month for 24 months, 10'000 per year (with metallic paint) - 225/month for 36 months. The Fabia 1.2 SE was approx 228/month!

Looked at comparabile PCP, something like 1200 deposit, 405/month for 36 months, then 12'000 ballon to own (residual 11.5k).

My basic thinking is that I go PCH (car is for wife) and if we / she still wants that car after 36 months, we locate a second hand one for the approx residual of 12k - thus saving 405 - 225 = 180 x 35 payments = 6,300 pound saving on PCP

Unless I'm missing something PCP makes no sense in this instance?

Edited by Exeterj

Ordered a Scout last month on a similar lease deal, £168 pm £1000 deposit over 2yrs, delivery late May. 5000 miles pa 7.2p excess no upper limit. Never got a quote for a PCP, future residuals might become an issue with Skoda pushing for more volume sales. This deal for the Scout must be receiving a massive discount from Skoda ( when on a lease ) something they won't give to PCP customers.

• Like 1

Ordered a Scout last month on a similar lease deal, £168 pm £1000 deposit over 2yrs, delivery late May. 5000 miles pa 7.2p excess no upper limit. Never got a quote for a PCP, future residuals might become an issue with Skoda pushing for more volume sales. This deal for the Scout must be receiving a massive discount from Skoda ( when on a lease ) something they won't give to PCP customers.

Interesting re delivery, we're probably going to sign up tomorrow - they said 8 wks build, couple weeks delivery yesterday.

Be glad if residuals do drop, as it maybe we buy one of the same age (15 plate) after the lease is up if we get on with it - prob going 3 years even though it's £25 more a month it makes sense for us, as I'm not sure we'd get anywhere near the same deal in 2 years time for that car, hence avoid the deposit also for a further year (if we were to release) and the longer we lease the more likely wed pick up a cheaper one at the end of the lease (if we don't look at another lease)

Drivethedeal reckons this car was £23k but a pcp I saw suggested £22.4k, but the lease has to be discounted even more - pcp deal reckons it's worth 11.5k after 3 years / 30k miles - they will 'only' get 1200 plus 35x225 I.e just over £9k from lease payments - so it's worth about £20.5k inc vat to them. Skoda / vw finance must need to make something (say 10%) thus car is probably £2k discount on top minimum, on thud basis car is £18k

Edited by Exeterj

I'm another Skoda newbie having just taken delivery of a 184 DSG Scout in Race Blue. It replaces a rather tired Volvo V50 Estate that I inherited in my new job. So far I am very happy with the Scout and would probably go as far as to say that I would have been happy to spend my own money on it, which is a first in the history of my company cars! Hope you enjoy the new ride.Sadly I can't offer any insight into the finance side of things as I was just asked, "what car do you want?" and the Scout ticked all the boxes after examining the market for a few months.

I'm another Skoda newbie having just taken delivery of a 184 DSG Scout in Race Blue. ....

Any chance you could post up some pics Martin?

Plenty of denim blue pics of Scouts about but not many race blue ones.

Interesting re delivery, we're probably going to sign up tomorrow - they said 8 wks build, couple weeks delivery yesterday.

Be glad if residuals do drop, as it maybe we buy one of the same age (15 plate) after the lease is up if we get on with it - prob going 3 years even though it's £25 more a month it makes sense for us, as I'm not sure we'd get anywhere near the same deal in 2 years time for that car, hence avoid the deposit also for a further year (if we were to release) and the longer we lease the more likely wed pick up a cheaper one at the end of the lease (if we don't look at another lease)

Drivethedeal reckons this car was £23k but a pcp I saw suggested £22.4k, but the lease has to be discounted even more - pcp deal reckons it's worth 11.5k after 3 years / 30k miles - they will 'only' get 1200 plus 35x225 I.e just over £9k from lease payments - so it's worth about £20.5k inc vat to them. Skoda / vw finance must need to make something (say 10%) thus car is probably £2k discount on top minimum, on thud basis car is £18k