Early EGR valve failure - known problem

On mine it was "engine fault - workshop", and limp mode. It would clear after ignition-off, but it would come back after 5 minutes. No other noises or smoke or whatever.

Keep in mind in my case it was a hole in the cooling system, just the EGR controller sensing something was off and warning me.

I've no scientific evidence at all to back me up here but every couple of days I give my car a good thrash up a slight but long hill to give it a good clear out.

By thrashing I mean nearing the red line in second and third and then holding it at around 3.5K in fourth for a mile or so. Gets the DPF nice and hot too for effective passive regens.

The rest of my 30,000 mile annual commute is spent at 70mph on the motorway.

I'm on 75,000 miles now - fingers crossed the EGR stays unclogged and water tight!

If the EGR can be deleted and give no further problems, can the water supply also be bypassed, so its a continuous circuit by adding a small solid pipe and using jubilee clips

Edited by skippy41

Back from the dealers yesterday. They did not find any faults codes in car's memory. Problem reported to Skoda Headoffice, reply expected within a week.

However they did some changes to DSG software, as a result downshifts are happening now much faster.

OT: while Skoda was there I was using Audi A6 2.0tfsi with Multitronic, which helped me understand once again how good Superb is for its money :-)

• 8 years later...

I have a 2013 Skoda Yeti 2L Diesel /81kw TDI CR. About 2 years ago with approximately 40k on the clock I got an engine light on with a fault code P040300 (EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION CIRCUIT) . Long story short , I got  a quote from my local dealership to replace the egr valve and decided that I could not afford a second mortgage to pay for the job, so started looking around for quotes. My local garage said they would be happy to take on the job but quoted me silly for the new egr valve , although the labour cost was very reasonable given the total pig of a job it was. We agreed that if I supplied the part they would fit it and just charge for labour.  I was able to get a Pierberg egr valve direct from Germany at a fraction of the price that my garage had quoted, hoorah!!! I thought.  I collected my car paid the bill and set off for a test drive. Within five minutes of leaving the garage I had  engine light on and the same fault code again. This time I decided that I would not throw more good money after bad, so capitulated raised the white flag and took my car to my local Dealership!. It turned out that my local garage had fitted the new valve correctly but did not have the latest software required to get my car to recognize the new part.  The Dealership made the necessary software updates, presented  me with an eye watering bill, and I drove off into the sunset for a happy two years motoring, until last week!!!.  Engine light and the same fault code, here we go again.

I have noted that in this conversation about egr problems several people have talked about having the egr deleted or mapped out and blanked off. Does anybody out there know the legal implications regarding this process? I have read somewhere that if a vehicle was designed and built with an egr system, then by law at the mot inspection it must be functioning properly.

Also would it not invalidate your insurance, because remapping and deleting the egr would be an undeclared modification to the vehicle?

I would be very grateful if any body can help or advise on this subject, 

The whole idea of the EGR emulator/simulator is that if fitted with care and common sense then it would be invisible and undetectable on inspection (mine is), there is no remapping involved.

That should enable you to answer all your questions.

Look at the listings on Ebay, its a seller from an Eastern European country and they are/were around £99, plenty of info and photographs for you to get a better understanding.

Edit, MOT does not test the functioning of the EGR system, visible modifications ie removal, blanking plates etc would be a failure as they would with any part of the emissions control system like removal of the DPF for instance.

Edited by J.R.