Octavia Door Lock Problem Diagnose/Repair Guide

vinuchandran

Hi, 

My octy's keyless entry remote was defective. Also my door LED was not blinking. So last week I decided to buy a new remote. With the new one, I found out that the driver side lock is not actuating with remote. It was opening by the mechanical key only. So I decided to check the lock. 

For that you need to remove the door card and remove the lock.

Bowders1 already made a great guide for these. So try this link.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/126257-octavia-1-replacing-door-latch-microswitch/

I removed the electrical coupling from the lock and checked if lock and unlock signals are coming there. Pins 1 and 2 are the lock/ unlock signal pins. Check if 12 v is coming there while locking /unlocking. If there is no 12 v, there may be a wiring harness or control unit problem.

Now, time to disassemble the lock.

(Watch this

)

Remove these screws

Screws_zps8ulojwn0_1.jpg

Use torx bits. I don't recall the sizes. But I think T15, T20, T25 or so.

One of those screws (red) won't be accessible first. Don't worry. We can remove it later. But you must remove the ones marked with green and blue.

The blue one is the smallest, and it will be on the side of the lock.

Now remove this spring, which is on the back side.

Spring%201_zpsgpjj0lnp_1.jpg

Spring%202_zpsznpqutxq_1.jpg

Now after a bit of wiggling, the electrical and mechanical parts will come apart.

Now remove the leftout screw. Open the Electrical/actuator side.

electrical_zpsqgxuyaqb_1.jpg

Remember the gear alignments, key cam alignment etc..

gear%20allignment_zpssfxegulr_1.jpg

IMG_20150128_100442496_HDR_zpsttnvhcrx_1

This will be useful while refitting..

These are the microswitches in the lock assy.

Micro%20switch1_zpsyhqz8ze7_1.jpg

Here, 1& 2 are the key position sensing switches. That is when you unlock manually, it will tell the control unit which position the key is.

And 3& 4 are the actuator position finding switches. It will tell the control unit the current position of actuator.

5 is the door latch switch. It recognises whether the door is in opened or closed position. It is used while operating the interior lights. 

Now you have the idea to which component should be checked according to your problem.

In my case, when manually opens, central locking works. So 1 & 2 are OK.

And Interior light works well. So 5 is OK too..

So either 3 &4 or Motor. So I decided to check the motor first.

Remove the motor assy and apply 12 v DC or a bit less to the marked pins for a very short duration. 

12%20v%20check_zpsgueqbzpt_1.jpg

Oops.. My motor is not working.. Since it was not working for a long time, the thing got stuck.

So I just pushed it to check if its working and voila.. 

So months of dirt in the motor is the reason.

I applied WD40 to clean the motor

WD40_zpsepnpmkw1.jpg

A good amount of dirt came off. Then I checked it again.. Works like a charm. Rotates in both directions. 

Now time to refit.

Put back the motor assy and gears together.

Apply some hot glue here.

Hot%20glue_zpsdizv7ypn_1.jpg

Check the position of key cam and put it all together and close. 

Put the screws (red) and connect it with the control panel to check if its working alright.

The mechanical latch should be closed.

You can push the latch inside. Remember, it is a two stage latch. So push it two times and check the door warning light on the cluster.

It should go off.

Now check the lock using the remote. If it not works, remove and recheck. And check if the central locking works while manual locking and unlocking. If its not working, the cam may be wrongly placed.

Check if the LED blinks. If everything is alright, it should start blinking.

If all works well, fit the remaining screws, spring, cables and fix the lock back in the door. 

Check every thing again and fix back everything. 

Hope this helps someone.

Thank you.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

How do I get to the lock on a Octy MkII? Passanger door, to be precise. The car doesn't register when the door opens (neither lights or maxidot), even though remote locking and remote power windows work. I wanna check the microswitch in the lock, but after removing the trim, I couldn't see any entrance or hole to get to the lock itself?