Fabia MKI 1.4 MPI 8V, push rods seized!?

Are you sure the rocker shaft hasn't seized up before buying an engine. I would be removing it first and checking for bent pushrods, could just want a timing chain and pushrods

Yes, timing has slipped and all the valves but two are bent and stuck open, judging by the state of the rocker gear that engine has NOT been looked after.

From the video, that would appear to be it! Must be well bent/knackered too. As there appears to be no movement at all on the other rockers. All I can see is one end moving and a couple of oil drips.

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, new engine is in and it runs sweet. Much quieter than the old one.

New filters and oil.

It's also not using water any more so I guess the head gasket was also on its way out on the old engine as it had always needed topping up periodically.

The problem I now have is that it drinks fuel unless running closed loop, i.e. on steady cruise. I can see the instant MPG from an aftermarket gauge I have from the injector PWM and on cruise it is ok, but under slight load and acceleration it seems like the enrichment has gone to maximum! It also feels like it is pulling timing as acceleration is dreadful, flat and dead - these were always quite torquey engines and that is just missing. When closed loop MPG is ~35 - 45. When accelerating, 8 - 15 MPG.

I've attached VCDS lite and I now have a "Knock Sensor 1: Signal too High.", which figures considering the symptoms. 

No ECU light on the dash though. I've double checked and the sensor (brown 3 wire plug) is definitely connected so I suspect it is dead. I've tried the battery off for an hour to have the system relearn and I've also done the throttle body alignment. The car has been run on V-Power (99 RON) since the new engine was fitted and also has had a bottle of Cataclean put through it for good measure.

I've ordered a new knock sensor so hopefully that will fix it. Any other advice? How is the best way to access the sensor? I'd rather not take manifolds off but don't mind getting under the car on axle stands.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metzger-907044-0907044-Knock-Sensor/dp/B00DZHXBN8/ref=au_pf_sr_3?ie=UTF8&n=248877031&s=automotive&submodelId=13363

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by napalmdaz

Coolant temperature sensor misleading the ECU into thinking the engine isn't warm would be one possibility. A cheap one to explore.

edit: I've not tried to change a knock sensor on a Fabia, but I'd guess that from below may be the way to go.

I didn't know Fabia has a knocking sensor. Still, I'm getting 45mpg only if I'm driving like an old man, with air con off, doing 50mph. At 70mph, with air con running and 5 people in the car and an empty boot, it does 40mpg, so there isn't such a difference.

It can also do 22mpg on short trips, city driving with a cold engine and during winter time. 

I'd blame the sensor only for the lack of acceleration and torque, other than that, your fuel consumption values seem to be ok-ish. Do have in mind that the manufacturer says that it should do 50mpg on the motorway and 30mpg for city driving.

Edited by Alexandru

Thanks guys. New knock sensor arrived in the post today but that will have to wait until the weekend for fitting. When I got the new engine the first thing I changed was the thermostat and sensor as the old one was broken - it gets up to temperature relatively quickly now and is echoed on the dash and via OBD readout to Torque Android app.

I now need to buy a torque wrench!